Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I had no idea what strategy to use on this board ...  (Read 1189 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
I had no idea what strategy to use on this board ...
« on: March 04, 2013, 09:02:25 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/04/game-20130304-174750-178f9bd7.html

What should I have done?  My opponent grabbed two Golds then Embargoed them on turn 6.  My plan then was to go into Nobles and Scrying Pools and draw as much as possible, but every strategy I had was Embargoed.  Do I buy Gold anyway?  What do you do?

CopperrCopper

• Scout
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: I had no idea what strategy to use on this board ...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 12:02:23 pm »

Tough call.  You are kind of asking for it by buying potion when Embargo is there.  I think you might be able to piece together an engine ignoring the curses and then try to forge/salvage them away.  I like Nobles/Harem/Silk Roads here.  He got to 4 provinces but his deck was getting very clogged (although salvager would help him speed up the end).

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 02:30:04 pm »

The Nobles-Harem-SR synergy is pretty strong here. Question is how to take advantage of it? Going BM with those cards is probably pretty strong in itself.

However, the engine benefits greatly from Embargo. In particular, I think embargoing Harems is pretty strong because the engine doesn't want them and prefers Nobles. SP is a target immediately when you buy a Potion, but engines can deal with Curses better than money decks. The issue here is that it hurts your economy in the short term and you really want those Nobles for the +actions, since you may rather use cards like Duchess and Harvest for economy.

You are also limited by the +buy that Salvager gives, meaning that at some point you'll run out of bad cards to trash.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 02:53:23 pm »

there are so many silk road helpers here: in addition to the green 6s, the duchess is fantastic too. the trick will be balancing between buying silvers and embargoes (assuming the opponent doesn't mirror). I would be tempted toward buying too many embargoes. Perhaps the answer is "silver with > 2, embargo with exactly 2." Probably somewhere in between.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.