Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inventor: Action Card  (Read 2861 times)

WilsonWriter

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: storyteller
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
    • WilsonWriter.com
Inventor: Action Card
« on: March 04, 2013, 08:36:35 pm »

Since Sir Peebles has a great eagle eye, here's another card for your perusal.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Inventor: Action Card
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:49:01 pm »
+1

"Only one may be played" per turn has issues with cards like Golem.

You don't need to say "Play your turn."  What does that even mean?  Your turn doesn't end until after the clean-up phase.  And when during your cleanup phase do you return the cards?  How do you keep track of the cards gained this way?  I might have discarded one of my gained cards and triggered a reshuffle.  Now it's just in my deck somewhere.  You may want to take a look at Band of Misfits and how it's worded, because Donald X. is very careful about how he tries to achieve something similar to what this card does.

Well you *do* need a signature...

WilsonWriter

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: storyteller
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
    • WilsonWriter.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 08:55:36 pm »

I'm obviously new to this, and I appreciate your great advice.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:47 pm »
+1

I'm obviously new to this, and I appreciate your great advice.
The start with text-only versions so it's easier for us to comment on specific mechanics. You should also read up on other cards and why things do or do not work.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:32:07 pm »

I think you instead want something like:

----

Trash a card from your hand. Discard a card.

If you did trash a card and discard a card, do this twice: gain an Action card from the Supply and play it. At the beginning of your cleanup phase, return any cards thus gained to the Supply.

----

This still has some weird interactions, though. (like, I *think* that with Trader, you'd just get two Silvers, and you would indeed get to keep them.)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 01:43:26 pm »

I think you instead want something like:

----

Trash a card from your hand. Discard a card.

If you did trash a card and discard a card, do this twice: gain an Action card from the Supply and play it. At the beginning of your cleanup phase, return any cards thus gained to the Supply.

----

This still has some weird interactions, though. (like, I *think* that with Trader, you'd just get two Silvers, and you would indeed get to keep them.)

You can get rid of "Gain" all together. Simply "play an Action card from the Supply. At the beginning of your cleanup phase, return this card to the supply."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 10:33:25 pm »

I cant see it :(
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 11:12:18 pm »
+1

Be careful what you wish for.

Inventor
Types: Action
Cost: $6
+1 Action. Trash a card. Discard a card. When you do, gain 2 Action cards from any supply pile other than Inventor and put them into your hand. Play your turn. During clean-up phrase, return both Action cards to supply piles. Only 1 Inventor may be played per turn.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 11:33:22 pm »

Inventor
+1 Action. Trash a card. Discard a card. When you do, gain 2 Action cards from any supply pile other than Inventor and put them into your hand. Play your turn. During clean-up phrase, return both Action cards to supply piles. Only 1 Inventor may be played per turn.
Iventor, trash a Catacombs, drawing KC, Bridge, Bridge, discard X...

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 11:35:17 pm »

Inventor

I'm confused. Did you mean Cultist, rather than Catacombs? That aside, I think I'm missing your point.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 11:38:14 pm »

Inventor

I'm confused. Did you mean Cultist, rather than Catacombs? That aside, I think I'm missing your point.
yeah, Cultist. think about what you would gain with a hand like that...

Mad, I tell you.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 11:42:19 pm »
+1

Inventor

yeah, Cultist. think about what you would gain with a hand like that...

Oh, I get it. You're suggesting a King's Court and a Bridge could be gained. Honestly, I haven't even thought about the power of the card. I can't really see past the sheer number of ambiguous wordings, accountability problems, and rules issues.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:54:47 pm by LastFootnote »

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 03:34:54 am »

Inventor

What does "Only 1 Inventor may be played per turn" even really mean? How does it effect Throne Room? Golem?

Probably better to word it as

Inventor
If this is the first time you have played an Investor this turn +1 Action. Trash a card. Discard a card. When you do, gain 2 Action cards from any supply pile other than Inventor and put them into your hand. Play your turn. During clean-up phrase, return both Action cards to supply piles.

So you can still play extra inventors, that just do nothing except. Also I think "Play your turn" is unnecessary.

"Gain" is still problematic. Investor a BV and you get a free card that you get to keep.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 06:38:04 am »

Many things about this card were allready pointed out. I'd like to add that it has tracking issues.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.121 seconds with 21 queries.