Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cards with no optimal opening  (Read 9691 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Cards with no optimal opening
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 11:17:10 am »

It's important to keep in mind that having a Poor House also guarantees that you can afford a Throne Room.  So there's not much advantage in getting the Throne Room first.  Maybe even better would be looking for nonterminal +buy, like Pawn, Forager, or Market Square.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Vapo

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 11:20:37 am »

Woo, after months of lurking I finally have something to contribute and create an account for:

Throne/Chapel opening on a Poor House board. Pretty sure it's better than opening PH/chapel because you're guaranteed to have enough cash for a PH on the first shuffle, whereas you could fail to hit 4  if PH/chapel collide and 2+ estates are in the other hand.

I wonder how well that would work as an overall strategy, to open Throne/Chapel or Remake/Poorhouse and then rush Thrones and Poor Houses, switching to green when you have enough of each and have trashed down your other cards. Anyone with DA experience want to chime in with whether this would work or be a huge trap?

It could work with TR/steward opening as well, and from limited experience vs bots on Goko the chapel version seems pretty fast. Remake would probably leave you with too many PHs, you want a few balanced with TRs rather than hordes of them

sandstorm

• Baron
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 08:23:42 pm »

Should Procession be on this list? and dare I say Spy?

EDIT: Scratch Spy, I think there are some Peddler kingdoms that would want it

MainiacJoe

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 11:17:05 am »

Outpost / Chapel is okay.  Outpost loves strong trashing.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 11:19:10 am »

Procession/Squire with Torturer, Nobles and Village in the board or something like that could be pretty strong I think.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 12:17:28 pm »

Woo, after months of lurking I finally have something to contribute and create an account for:

Throne/Chapel opening on a Poor House board. Pretty sure it's better than opening PH/chapel because you're guaranteed to have enough cash for a PH on the first shuffle, whereas you could fail to hit 4  if PH/chapel collide and 2+ estates are in the other hand.

Geronimoo seems to disagree...

I was able once to nab 6 provinces in 14 turns with Village, Remake, and Poor House. This seems similar. Geronimoo says 2 Chapels is good, but to ThirtySeven's question, yes, it can be a viable strategy.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 01:56:49 pm »

Procession/Squire with Torturer, Nobles and Village in the board or something like that could be pretty strong I think.

That really seems like buying the carriage before the horse.  When Procession doesn't collide with Squire you virtually guarantee inability to purchase a Torturer.  Processioning the Squire is an incredibly strong play, no doubt, but it doesn't instantaneously win you the game, which is how strong it'd have to be to be worth that big risk.

Torturer games tend to be too fast for you to risk durdles.  If you want a Squire opening, I think something like a Saboteur engine would be much more forgiving if you whiff turns 3/4.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 02:01:05 pm »

We're looking for a procession opening, not a squire opening.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 02:04:20 pm »

I know.  I'm saying I think Procession/Squire/Saboteur/Nobles/Village/King'sCourt is a better solution than Procession/Squire/Torturer/Nobles/Village.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 09:03:02 pm »
+1

I've gambled on Tr/Swindler before playing 3rd player where the other two opened Ghost ship. Odds of me pairing up those two thanks to a Gship were pretty high and I had very good odds of giving out some curses. With a few Council rooms ahead of me in purchase, I could see opening Tr as well.

I could see doing something similar with Procession, particularly something like Squire/Familiar or Goons - or Market square/shelters out. You need just two additional cards to have good odds of hitting the strong play - and when you are down against 5/2 in 3er or 4er, well risks need to be taken.

I could also see opening Tr or Prssn with Noble Brigand setting up 4/4 hands and some odds improvement from something like Gship or Cr. 

Outpost can work with several shots for 5/2 openings. Peddler setups with non-terminal 2's are pretty good for opening Opost. For instance, I've done Chap/Outpost/Haven/Peddler. Fool's gold is quite strong, effectively giving your double Fg AND cycling a bit when you play Opost. Opost/Chap transitions really well into Poor house setups - you can buy Phou's during the Opost turns and with some village/draw/+buy you can just roll out a quick engine that may well hit even on the Opost turns.

Opening Duke? Maybe, just maybe something like 4'er and you see P1 open Nb (you discard 2 estates), P2 opens Island, and P3 opens Duchy. This could then set you up to get Duke/Trade route with starting 3 coin Trade routes. I think if we did the logical extension of 6er with Tunnel and Greathall, we'd really want to just go double Trdrte.

Curse: P1 opens Nb. P2 buys an Embargo (had a 2/5). You buy Trader. P2 embargoes curses (buying Trader as his 5 was turned into a 4). Your next hand is Necro/Hovel/C/C/Trader and you buy a curse, revealing Trader twice for two silvers.

Scout: Open Nomad camp on a board with no villages, but really strong non-terminal 5's (e.g. Stables, Market, Minion) with non-terminal +buy and Peddlers.

Villages, of any type, can be the correct opening in 4'er with some really strong simple engine (e.g. Goons/Menage/Chap) where a run on villages will really limit your ability build the powerful deck (if you have 3 villages then you can run 2-3 goons with a terminal trasher for big points).
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.501 seconds with 21 queries.