Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Expansion idea - new ages?  (Read 3854 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Expansion idea - new ages?
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:15:15 pm »

Pardon me if this has been brought up and/or shot down already, but given that the current two expansions simply increase the size of existing ages (which is awesome, don't get me wrong), couldn't a future expansion add an 11th or 12th age?  Future eras with Jetpacks or Warp Drives?  Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea to do?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion idea - new ages?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 01:24:28 am »

As cool as it would be, cards in Age 10 already blow through their own pile quickly enough, so I think hypothetical Age 11 and Age 12 would not be anything more than eye candy.

Hideyoshi

• Baron
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 04:22:23 am »

It would be too strange to just adding age 11 and 12, as there are too many cards ending the game at age 10, even at 9 and 8. It may be possible to reorganize all the cards to add the age 11 and 12, but it may take the game too long, however.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:38:57 am »

I think what you're driving at is a good idea, that is, try to find new space rather than clutter the existing space when you expand the game.  However, I don't think ages 11 and 12 are the best way to do so at all.  Just the way things are paced, and game length, and the fact 10s already win the game on their own, all that stuff. 

I think some sort of special pile like "Age 3 1/2.  Whenever you would draw an age 3 card, you can return a card from your hand to draw from this pile instead" or something vaguely along those lines is a better way to find new space.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:46:14 am »

I think some sort of special pile like "Age 3 1/2.  Whenever you would draw an age 3 card, you can return a card from your hand to draw from this pile instead" or something vaguely along those lines is a better way to find new space.

But then that's just the same as a 3 pile. All of the expansions have special conditions for when you draw from their piles instead of the regular pile of the same number. "When you discard a card from your hand" is such a condition.

Maybe a 3.5 pile that you draw from after 3 but before 4 would work. And then you could have cards with effects such as "Draw a card of value 1.5 higher than your highest top card". Only thing would be trying to design enough cards, for example, stronger than a 5 but not as strong as a 6.

I don't think it would work. Just working with the "new ages" idea of the OP.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 10:48:15 am »

They actually weren't originally intended to be drawn based on special conditions.  The paper instructions that come with the expansions tell you to shuffle them in.  They were errata'ed later.  So, I mean, age 3.5 really would have a different sort of design goal from echoes.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:55:06 am »

Yeah, that confused the hell out of me when I first played Echoes on Iso. I read the rules on BGG and had no idea how they converted into what happened on Iso. Turns out it was because the rules aren't the rules anymore...

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 11:13:02 am »
+1

But then that's just the same as a 3 pile. All of the expansions have special conditions for when you draw from their piles instead of the regular pile of the same number. "When you discard a card from your hand" is such a condition.

Maybe a 3.5 pile that you draw from after 3 but before 4 would work. And then you could have cards with effects such as "Draw a card of value 1.5 higher than your highest top card". Only thing would be trying to design enough cards, for example, stronger than a 5 but not as strong as a 6.

I don't think it would work. Just working with the "new ages" idea of the OP.

If you believe that higher ages are strictly stronger cards, Miniaturization has a bridge to sell you...

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 11:18:42 am »

I didn't say that because I don't believe that.

Hideyoshi

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 09:03:04 pm »

To get more cards, no matter adding half age or extending to age 11 and 12, it may lengthen the game to too long. It may be a good idea to add some half age cards and make the game for more people, such as making a 6 or even 8 people game.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 09:12:50 pm »

Well, the existing expansion strategy definitely lengthens games.  It might have been a better direction to make new brown backed cards to get mixed in and randomly excluded/included in the piles of 10.

Hideyoshi

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 10:02:14 pm »

Actually, I think base only is not good for 4 players. With both echo and figures, the game is the best for 4 players. By adding more cards, well, I am not sure the game is for 2 or 4 players anymore, just see how you modify the game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.602 seconds with 21 queries.