Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Simple Monument engine went better than expected  (Read 626 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Simple Monument engine went better than expected
« on: March 02, 2013, 03:22:28 pm »

and beat out an Alchemist stack:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201303/02/game-20130302-025502-a3b87a38.html

I felt like Chapel really couldn't be ignored, and that trying to build the Alchemist stack would then become redundant - Potion/Chapel can miss $3p easily (or you could draw Potion-Copper x 3-Chapel which is also annoying), and the Alchemists are only as useful as the cards they can repeatedly draw for you. That said, part way in I started to get really nervous: it seemed like he'd be able to attack me with Margrave consistently, and I felt like I didn't really have strong enough draw to line up a significant number of Monuments each turn. But then I realized that, while generally the Margrave attack is no good played more than once a turn (since you basically give the opponent free filtering), versus an Alchemist stack it's actually quite good, since the second attack is likely to draw yet another Alchemist and make him discard it. And if he plays "defensively" against this by not topdecking more than three Alchemists, it's still not bad. Meanwhile, discards were not that painful for me a lot of the time, since I had the Chapel and/or green in hand a fair amount of the time.

Looking back on it, I probably should have gotten more than the two Margraves... I will say though, it was really satisfying making it work with plain old vanilla Village and no fun enablers like TR/KC, card gainers, etc.

Would it be better to build the engine a bit more, maybe try for $16 in total economy? The $11 I had allowed me to pick up surplus Villages as insurance against drawing things dead, but I wonder how much of a difference it made. Would my opponent be better off with Silver/Potion instead?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 20 queries.