Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Sage/Vineyards  (Read 2371 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Combo: Sage/Vineyards
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:39:10 am »
+3

Really short for an "article" and pretty simple:

If there are cheap cards, and some way to buy them with an existing card (in the sample game it was Bridge), you can just do the following:

(1) Open Sage/Support card
(2) Buy a potion
(3) Buy Vineyards if you have a potion in hand, otherwise a Sage, otherwise a $2 card that the Sage will skip over

You want to get as many of the vineyards as you can before the other guy sees what you are doing.
Sage is a great card for getting the Potion in hand (and the other support card). It skips everything except the support card, the potion and the other sages - so you can cycle super quickly.
Sage usually falls apart in the end game when it starts drawing your Green, but it doesn't have that flaw when you are going Vineyards.

In this game I was so confident with my ability to cycle I was even BUYING ruins when I couldn't afford Havens - they counted as actions for my vineyards. My opponent who opened Marauder (normally a very good opening) was just feeding me more power to my vineyards.

Here is the sample game:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/28/game-20130228-075508-6950caea.html

(Glad I got in 3.5 Dark Ages games on iso before the server reset... Idea: What if there was an extension for Chrome that made  Goko look and feel like iso... Then people who liked Goko the way it was could play that way. And people who preferred iso could do that too (and even play each other). I have no problem paying Goko money, but I really don't enjoy the interface... It would be great to play with DA cards all the time...)

Ed

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Sage/Vineyards
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:44:17 am »

Bonus points if the support card has +Buy. Worker's Village, Market, Margrave, etc. would be great. I wonder how Herbalist would be: they're cheap enough that you can spam them, but Sage can't draw them and the Potion top-decking isn't as important.

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:47:38 am »

Yeah, I played such games in real life, and in my experience it may even be worth to open Sage/Potion in a mirror match to win the Vineyards split !
Designer of Chronos Conquest

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:01:35 pm »

There already is an extension that adds an iso-style log to Goko.  The game controls like Goko normally does, but you take what you can get.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=6788.0
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:35:48 pm »

Very cool, ed!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.533 seconds with 20 queries.