RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
Vassal
« on: February 28, 2013, 03:17:15 am »

Vassal -5$ - action

+1 Action

you may set 1 card from your hand aside.
Discard your handcards. If you discarded at least one card: +3 Cards
put the set aside card back into your hand.

I like the minion effect and this is pretty similar and mostly a bit stronger. therefor it doesnt attack and you cannot choose +2$ so it is not self supporting with virtual money. On the otherhand you can set a gold or any strong action into the next hand. so it even works with powerful tressure cards (platin/Gold)

Do you think this is balanced?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: Vassal
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:18:44 am »

Vassal -5$ - action

+1 Action

I like the minion effect and this is pretty similar and mostly a bit stronger. therefor it doesnt attack and you cannot choose +2$ so it is not self supporting with virtual money. On the otherhand you can set a gold or any strong action into the next hand. so it even works with powerful tressure cards (platin/Gold)

Half Minion half Haven. I kinda like it.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 10:11:59 am »

It's nice. Just not extremely interesting. It loses from the fact that playing several of these will not add much, as won't having several of them in your hand. That's where Minion is better. Other than that, it seems fairly well balanced.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:21:47 am »

I would guess that, because of the drawbacks (no +$2, so no self-synergy; no attack) you will get away with $4.
Also other combos are not so strong, so f you play Vassal+disaperaing Village+Terminal money, that also does not combo, because you have a 4 card hand after Vassal, minus 2 cards Village/terminal, minus Vassal, minus card to set aside, so there is nothing to discard, so Vassal does not trigger anymore.

Of course it works with "real" Villages, but you drop half of the Villages out of this combo, so maybe just drop that clause, I don't think it's too strong if you get +3Cards when you discard nothing, especially as you need some cards to combo with, just by itself it's not a very good card. Best card out of 5 + 3 randoms is not that much stronger (if at all) than 5 random cards.

Edit: Best use (as it's now) is probably in Cantrip engines, you can clean your hand when it has run full with stopper cards and start with a fresh 4 card hand...

Edit2: I like the concept...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:40:36 am by DStu »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 10:34:31 am »

Yeah, I was going to suggest making it $4.  The attacking from Minion is really potent, and it's the built in +$2 option that provides the self synergy so strong that "minion deck" is a strategy in itself.

In fact, without disappearing cards, Your first Vassal is only a less flexible Cellar.  It's only saving grace over Cellar is that your handsize cant drop super low.  But then, Cellar is a $2 card whose moment in the spot light is games with large handsize, which Vassal doesn't handle as well.
Well you *do* need a signature...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:53:38 am »

I just noticed that "if you discard a card..." clause.  Why would you have this clause?  Now the only times this is better than Cellar, barring edge cases, is when your hand is precisely 3 or 4 cards, and even then only sometimes.
Well you *do* need a signature...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 11:01:37 am »

I just thought of a crazy tweak for this card.

Vassal
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Action. Set aside a card from your hand. Discard your hand, then +3 Cards. You may play a Vassal from your hand. Return the set-aside card to your hand.

So as you chain them, you can accumulate actions and increase your hand size.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:14:23 am by LastFootnote »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 11:18:23 am »
+1

Vassal
+1 Action. Set aside a card from your hand. Discard your hand, then +3 Cards. You may play a Vassal from your hand. Return the set-aside card to your hand.

I don't know if the Cultist wording is so good here. What if i want to return the cards to my hand and play a Vassall after that, for whatever reason? Triggering reshuffles, discarding Tunnels, putting all my victories in the now-empty discard... I believe this might be very confusing, then. Maybe there's a way to achieve the same thing with a less complicated mechanic. Cultist works fine because playing a Cultist when you can is almost always the better choice, not doing so usually will mean Cultist won't be played at all. With Vasall i'm not so sure, especially because of the Vanilla Bonus, that, other than with Cultist, is not "triggered" instantly - you know what i mean.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:20:30 am by Asper »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:23:16 am »

Vassal

I don't know if the Cultist wording is so good here. What if i want to return the cards to my hand and play a Vassall after that, for whatever reason? Triggering reshuffles, discarding Tunnels, putting all my victories in the now-empty discard... I believe this might be very confusing, then. Maybe there's a way to achieve the same thing with a less complicated mechanic. Cultist works fine because playing a Cultist when you can is almost always the better choice, not doing so usually will mean Cultist won't be played at all. With Vasall i'm not so sure, especially because of the Vanilla Bonus, that, other than with Cultist, is not "triggered" instantly - you know what i mean.

Yes, it would have tracking issues, I'll admit that. I'm not sure they're any worse than several Dark Ages cards, though. If RTT doesn't like the idea, I'll gladly refine it and use it for my own fan expansions.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:24:19 am by LastFootnote »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 11:29:11 am »

Yes, it would have tracking issues, I'll admit that. I'm not sure they're any worse than several Dark Ages cards, though. If RTT doesn't like the idea, I'll gladly refine it and use it for my own fan expansions.

I'm not saying it's not a nice idea ;)
I'd like to see what will in the end be made out of it.

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 11:36:09 am »

Vassal -5$ - action

+1 Action

How can you set a gold or any strong action into the next hand with this?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 12:55:19 pm »

How can you set a gold or any strong action into the next hand with this?

He means the new hand you're drawing this turn.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 05:15:09 pm »

I would guess that, because of the drawbacks (no +$2, so no self-synergy; no attack) you will get away with $4.
Also other combos are not so strong, so f you play Vassal+disaperaing Village+Terminal money, that also does not combo, because you have a 4 card hand after Vassal, minus 2 cards Village/terminal, minus Vassal, minus card to set aside, so there is nothing to discard, so Vassal does not trigger anymore.

Of course it works with "real" Villages, but you drop half of the Villages out of this combo, so maybe just drop that clause, I don't think it's too strong if you get +3Cards when you discard nothing, especially as you need some cards to combo with, just by itself it's not a very good card. Best card out of 5 + 3 randoms is not that much stronger (if at all) than 5 random cards.

Edit: Best use (as it's now) is probably in Cantrip engines, you can clean your hand when it has run full with stopper cards and start with a fresh 4 card hand...

keep in mind that you dont have to set a card aside so if you maybe only have vassal and estate in hand you can just discard the estate and draw new cards.

but i have a idea to get around it and make the card a bit stronger

Vassal -4$ - action

+1 Action

you may put 1 card from your hand on top of your draw pile.
Discard your handcards. If you discarded at least one card: +4 Cards

is this ok at 4$ or does it need a penalty maybe?

I thought of gaining a estate when you gain this. this could be good in the endgame if you sadly only hit 4 and does hurt a little in the early game and hinders you to get them in masses without trashing.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 05:45:45 pm »

keep in mind that you dont have to set a card aside so if you maybe only have vassal and estate in hand you can just discard the estate and draw new cards.

but i have a idea to get around it and make the card a bit stronger

Vassal -4$ - action

+1 Action

you may put 1 card from your hand on top of your draw pile.
Discard your handcards. If you discarded at least one card: +4 Cards

is this ok at 4$ or does it need a penalty maybe?

I thought of gaining a estate when you gain this. this could be good in the endgame if you sadly only hit 4 and does hurt a little in the early game and hinders you to get them in masses without trashing.

I'd test the new version at $4 without the Estate gaining and see it it's balanced.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.794 seconds with 21 queries.