Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How did he keep drawing his one Gold?  (Read 1798 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
How did he keep drawing his one Gold?
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:10:54 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/27/game-20130227-070825-fc7ff980.html

And how come he keeps sab'ing me with all the early Lighthouse buys? And how did those hits actually seem to matter? And how is it that he seems to have way more drawing power when I'm the one who actually picked up a Rabble?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: How did he keep drawing his one Gold?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:23:43 am »
+1

Your terminal Copper didn't help.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 10:36:33 am »

I was originally expecting Cities to empty and to benefit from the extra buy, but then the next thing I knew he was hitting 8 while I still wasn't buying Cities.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 10:54:58 am »
+2

Herbalist is a really bad opening here. Herbalist is strictly worse than a Copper if you don't use the treasure top-decking or the +Buy, and since you opened Caravan you have no treasures worth top-decking. If you had opened Silver/Caravan, you would have hit 4/4 rather than 4/3 on turns 3 and 4.

So, a couple of things snowballed:
1) Your Herbalist open ended up weakening your first reshuffle, which has a spillover effect for the rest of the game. You pretty much lost a shuffle of tempo there.
2) This deficiency was emphasized by your Caravan missing the reshuffle, which put you far behind.

Strategically, realize that hitting $5 is really important in this game. Rabble is your draw and Cities are your village. Key $5 cards generally mean that +Buy is less important than building economy until late in the game, because hitting $10 is really hard. Since you will probably want a Lighthouse or two to protect against Rabble/Sab, that's a (non-terminal) Copper in your deck. Adding another (terminal) Copper makes it very hard to cycle your deck and get from $5 to $6/$8.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 01:10:49 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/27/game-20130227-070825-fc7ff980.html

And how come he keeps sab'ing me with all the early Lighthouse buys? And how did those hits actually seem to matter? And how is it that he seems to have way more drawing power when I'm the one who actually picked up a Rabble?

You gained your first lighthouse turn 8. His sab hit 5,8,9, and 11 and then missed from there on out. You didn't reshuffle after gaining the first lighthouse until turn 10, so there was only one turn you could've played it to defend 11 which isn't that unlucky.

If you don't have any silver in your deck, the sab is going to hit your better cards.

The lighthouses also hurt your drawing power. If you're just using it for the draw/cycling, Warehouse isnt that much worse than Rabble.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 01:41:15 pm »

There are lots of small problems here. Nobody has mentioned yet that big hands from caravans seem good, but if they are big hands of coppers, estates, lighthouses, and herbalists then it's still not worth much. Once you have some cards worth cycling, you can use warehouse and caravan together to get your good cards into play frequently. The caravans and warehouses improve each other and you could have used that instead of a using a rabble to draw herbalists and lighthouses from the deck.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 03:34:22 pm »
+1

Seems to me that the best opening here is Cutpurse/Silver.  That both attacks your opponent and gives you a really high chance of hitting an $5 early for the Rabble.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.