Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What's your strategy on this Colony set?  (Read 1673 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
What's your strategy on this Colony set?
« on: February 26, 2013, 07:55:41 pm »

Colony, Cutpurse, Explorer, Jack of All Trades, Market, Masquerade, Philosopher's Stone, Platinum, Potion, Royal Seal, Shanty Town, Thief, and Vault

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: What's your strategy on this Colony set?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:28:09 pm »

Hm.

Colony, Cutpurse, Explorer, Jack of All Trades, Market, Masquerade, Philosopher's Stone, Platinum, Potion, Royal Seal, Shanty Town, Thief, and Vault.

There's no +cards/+actions engine to be made, not with shanty town/vault. Can't make a cantrip engine with just markets, not at good one at least.

Very weak board for a Colony game.

There's trashing with Jack and Masq. I'd guess Masq is better because you want the copper-trashing in a colony game. So one option I see is to open Masq/silver, then go for BM with vaults.

Sim tells me masq is better than jack.

An option would be to add a potion and PStones; Pstones could be worth a lot with vault to discard most of your hand. In that case, open potion/silver, get vaults and pstones. I'm skeptical though. Sim tells me this sucks.

Thief could be a gamble. If you hit one plat with it at the right time, that's a big game swing; if you hit two plats, that's gg. Sim tells me getting a thief does not help on average, but if you get behind by a few lucky draws (like if your opponent hits 6 for gold or 9 for plat way too early, I bet it could be worth a gamble. Dunno. Definitely not the plan A. 

Vault/Masq/BM is good enough that it can get to colonies and can't be beaten by a straight province rush with jack, vault, or masq, I think.

Man I'm not seeing anything better than Vault/Masq/BM. Too many terminals in that anyway to like a cutpurse. Could come down to luck of who gets $9 for plats vs $8 for golds.

Is there anything there that I'm missing? How'd the game actually go?

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:33:30 pm »

I wonder if it's a non-terrible idea to just play it as if it weren't a colony game and do what you'd do there.

I might be tempted to gamble it up with Masq/Jack, myself.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:58:40 pm »

Yep the simulator likes masquerade/silver adding a another masquerade or vault later, preferring royal seals to markets. A lot of vaguely sensible money strategies involving masqerade/thief/jack/cutpurse/market/vault are viable and can win on good draws.

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:31:03 pm »

I basically went Masquerade/Big Money, picking up Markets when I had 5 coins.  I got beat by someone who went mostly into Shanty Towns, with a Jack and a Masquerade.

I avoided Vault because I figured it would help my opponent as much as help me (with the Shanty Town and Jack) and I was aiming to get Platinums, not Golds.  I guess that was a bad idea?  I thought I had a lock, since I've repeatedly heard how bad Shanty Towns are, and how bad Jack is in Colony games.  Didn't seem to hurt my opponent any, though.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/26/game-20130226-165201-50efcd77.html

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:12:03 pm »

Royal seal isn't such a bad card. You can put it together with drawing cards like masquerade and vault and it's better than a market. So with that in mind you could have taken a second drawing card. Shanty towns do work well with jacks although seven of them is excessive.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:13:21 pm by DG »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.