Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fairgrounds and Vineyards fueled comeback  (Read 1378 times)

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
Fairgrounds and Vineyards fueled comeback
« on: February 21, 2013, 02:40:41 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/21/game-20130221-111715-55a4b71a.html

Really happy with this win. Other guy buys Tactician turn 3 which I thought was a little odd but I guess works well enough with Haven, my island misses any Estates so I'm already a little behind. Then he hits 6 on turn 5, by turn 8 he has 4 gold and I have none. My deck is a little thinner due to Islands, but I'm still in trouble. With haven to help, he can pretty much always get two provinces from his Tactician plays now.

I won't be able to catch him in provinces, neither Vineyards or Fairgrounds would be fast enough. But fortunately, neither really hurts the other and the two of them we're just fast enough. Get to the end, one province left, he's just played a Tactician so I'm not getting another turn. Cross my fingers, snag the last province, win 50-49.

I definitely got lucky, (really should've bought a duchy instead of a mine turn 17 but it wound up being the copper I needed to win at the end, so there's that). Also the duchys the other guy bought probably wound up slowing him down too much and if he had just bought silver instead I've been screwed. But all that being said, feels good to pull off a comeback like that.

On a related note, I'm sure its been discussed before, but is the general consensus if you open Island and miss an estate to bury a copper anyways or wait to kill of the estate?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Fairgrounds and Vineyards fueled comeback
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 02:49:05 pm »

Island the Copper unless you draw I/S/3xC, in which case you might want to keep the Copper and get a $5 that you want.

Vineyards is quite weak on this board but your opponent made a bit of a misstep in ignoring Fairgrounds. Had his second Duchy been a Fairgrounds instead, you would have only tied. He also probably would have done well investing in a Mine or Explorer to give his deck a bit more longevity in picking up Fairgrounds.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:03:43 pm »

almost always bury that copper.  You want that island out of you deck asap.

And yeah, tactician is a pretty great card, not sure why you are questioning his turn3 buy.  Especially with stuff like island and explorer on the board where getting things to line up is especially nice.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:12:25 pm »

Yeah, I certainly wasn't planning on going after Vineyards from the start. No cheap cantrips, no good draw sources, all that screams "stay away". But my chances of hitting 6 + P with two buys were better than hitting 11 so when I fell behind it was my only shot. Plus I needed the extra cards for Fairgrounds and none of the other actions were all that appealing.

Good point about the fairgrounds vs duchy. I wasn't really paying attention to how much coins he had, just what he bought.

almost always bury that copper.  You want that island out of you deck asap.

And yeah, tactician is a pretty great card, not sure why you are questioning his turn3 buy.  Especially with stuff like island and explorer on the board where getting things to line up is especially nice.

Normally islands get out of the way early on enough so their presence alone isn't enough to warrant a Tactician, I hadn't considered the explorer lining up bit (of course, he didn't use it). I also at the time didn't realize the Haven synergy. Hence why I wound up buying one later when I realized I needed to get 15 different cards.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 03:20:16 pm »

That curse was a pretty iffy choice for your 15th card too.  Especially since a duchy would have got you to 15 as well.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 04:10:09 pm »

That curse was a pretty iffy choice for your 15th card too.  Especially since a duchy would have got you to 15 as well.

I had the buy to spend on it there. If I have waste a turn when I have 6 buying a duchy instead of a Fairgrounds to get a 15th card, that's -3 points. Buying the curse is -1 point. At that point I still needed two more cards, I couldn't spend another buy not greening.

Like I said, buying the Mine instead of a Duchy was a poor choice that wound up helping. But I think the curse was the right buy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.