Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: A Dominion Fan Card Creation Guide  (Read 99743 times)

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
Re: A Dominion Fan Card Creation Guide
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 02:59:42 pm »

Lookout is the premier non-terminal trasher. Upgrade is fine but expensive and slow, and Apprentice is mostly useful for drawing lots of cards rather than deck trimming.

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 03:45:54 pm »

Thanks for pointing out the 3 non-terminal trashing cards. They are either expensive, or have the risk of forcing you to trash a good card, good to know. I love Lookout.

plasticbrain

• Salvager
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 06:50:28 pm »
+1

@rinkworks: this is an incredible work. thanks as both a designer and a player! the way you've been able to lay out all the issues in a very practical progression is really stunning.

lympi

• Salvager
  • You'll never catch me, Copper
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 02:01:02 am »

(5) Fonts.

On the official cards, the card's name and type are rendered in the "Trajan Pro" font. This is a commercial font; however, there is a very similar free alternative called "Optimus Princeps." Use the boldface version.

Anyone have any idea on what the "Big Coin" and/or "Cost" font might be? (i.e. the Big Coin on special Treasure like Hoard and Contraband, and the cost on all cards.)

At first glance it seems to be Times New Roman bold, but then the 4 looks way off (no serifs) and everything else looks not-quite-right.

Sorry, I'm making some cards and I'm sort of a font nerd.

(But apparently not a big enough nerd to actually know the font.)
Then God said, Let there be a Village, and another Village, and another Village, and a Village, and I've got a silver and a copper. I'll buy a Village. -Ousgg on BGG

buggibum

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 03:33:10 am »

Here is a PS3 Template i made years ago.

The commercial fonts Dominion uses are Adobe Minion Pro and Adobe Trajan Pro.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/57516/adobe-photoshop-cs3-custom-blank-card-template-eng

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 09:22:44 pm »

"+3 cards +1 action would be a crazy power card that could probably never be costed appropriately"

Will Donald X. never stop making us eat our words?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

play2draw

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 09:51:31 pm »

"+3 cards +1 action would be a crazy power card that could probably never be costed appropriately"

Will Donald X. never stop making us eat our words?

Well... the cards that do provide "+3 cards, +1 action" are cards that typically get worse the more you play them. Playing Stables might require you discard good treasures (which can be disastrous in the wrong sort of deck). With Menagerie, you're likely to draw only one card the more you play it. A vanilla card of "+3 cards, +1 action" would still be difficult to price be unbalanced.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 10:14:09 pm »

I was actually thinking of Governor, and not either of those two. But you're right, there likely won't ever be a vanilla super-lab. I just found it amusing that rinkwork's example of an impossibly powerful card has sort of been made

OTOH, as long as there's a Militia variant at the end of the stretch, Governor can pretty much be played as a  vanilla super-lab.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 10:40:03 pm »

I was actually thinking of Governor, and not either of those two. But you're right, there likely won't ever be a vanilla super-lab. I just found it amusing that rinkwork's example of an impossibly powerful card has sort of been made
Now we've even got a card, Hunting Party, that is strictly better than Lab at the same price. But designing fan cards a tad bit better than an existing card at the same price used to be discouraged all the time. What's the worst that will happen? HP and Lab come out on the same board, and it's as if there are 9 stacks instead of 10. So? We already had that with Woodcutter/Chancellor and the game was still fun. But haters gotta hate. What are you gonna do.   ;)   All kinds of stuff can work in this game. I try to keep an open mind.

TheMathProf

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 11:43:44 pm »

Now we've even got a card, Hunting Party, that is strictly better than Lab at the same price.

Well, except Hunting Party isn't strictly better than a Lab.  For instance, when you already have any one of every card type in your hand, Hunting Party will only draw one card.  And there are times that Hunting Party will hunt down a victory card, when you'd much rather have the 2nd card from your deck instead.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2012, 03:16:31 am »

I think was was meant with this statement is not that +3cards +1 action is a card that is too strong that will never exists. But one where you don't have any reasonable price-point given the current cards. It obviously can't cost 5, I think most people will agree that 6 is also to cheap. So we might think about 7, which is already a difficult price-point in non-Colony game, and then you already are at 8 where you would in most cases prefer the Province.
Nerfing the card by buffing the opponent is a method to get it back to the "reasonable" costs 5 or 6, so cards like that where I think never excluded.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2012, 04:29:40 pm »

I think was was meant with this statement is not that +3cards +1 action is a card that is too strong that will never exists. But one where you don't have any reasonable price-point given the current cards.

Exactly, yeah.  I stand by the statement.  I don't think any current official card needs me to eat my words on this one.  To clarify, I was truly talking about just a vanilla card with no other effects.  Menagerie, Stables, and Governor all have significant drawbacks that make them (1) no longer crazy powerful cards, and (2) costable given the current cards.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 02:15:39 pm »
+1

Suppose your card offers "+3 Cards, +1 Buy." It has to be higher than $4, because the strictly inferior Smithy is priced at $4. But at $5, your new card looks pretty weak next to Torturer, which also offers +3 Cards. Still, it is not STRICTLY weaker than Torturer, so $5 it is.

It's strictly worse than Margrave  ;D (almost).

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 02:24:35 pm »
+1

Well since it's strictly better than smithy and strictly worse (almost) than margrave, seems like it needs a potion cost.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2012, 04:04:04 pm »

Well since it's strictly better than smithy and strictly worse (almost) than margrave, seems like it needs a potion cost.
Or some buy restriction like Grand Market. Or some cost reduction thing like Peddler. There are so many alternatives.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 06:00:40 pm »

I hope you're joking.  :-\

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 07:33:03 pm »

I hope you're joking.  :-\
I'm sure he is.

0P would probably be too expensive.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 11:12:08 am »
+4

Quick checklist to ask when costing cards

General:
Is this card strictly better than another card? If so, does it cost more than it?
If the card references cost, what effect do bridge/highway have on it?

$0/$1:
Will I always want to pick this up when I have an extra buy? (If so, it may be too good, or require a bit more strategy)

$2:
Is this card too strong in $5/$2 openings?

$3:
How strong is opening with two copies of this card
Is it too strong to get 2 of these instead of a Gold
Would I ever buy this over Silver?

$4:
Is it strictly better than silver? (No official $4 card is strictly better than silver)
Would I ever buy this over Silver?

$5:
Is this too strong to open with?
If it's a Victory card, how does this compare to buying a Duchy?

$6/$7:
Is it better than Gold?  (Ignoring price, no official card other than platinum is strictly better than Gold, and there's no real strategy in buying a $7 card that's better than gold)
Is it strictly better than Duchy? (Currently buying $6 and $7 duchies is part of the game, and your card shouldn't change that without adding an element of strategy)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2012, 01:29:53 pm »
+3

Alright, my thoughts on what the cost of cards should mean about the card:

$1 - Slightly weaker than $2 cards, Copper upgrades into it, generally indicating that it works better without Copper. Easily acquirable to every player. (There is only 1 Official $1 cost card, so this may change)
$2 - Available to every player for a certain reason (Heavy early trashing, powerful in multiples, etc.), or VERY spammable
$3 - (Hopefully) Never strictly better than silver, doesn't cause problems opening with 2 copies.
$4 - Similar in power to $3 cost, but could be too powerful opening with 2 copies.
$5 - Power cards, stuff that you should not be able to grab itself and a Silver as an opening. Note: a lot of the cursers are in this price point.
$6 - Very powerful, multiple copies may be devastating (Goons, Grand Market), or very good in engines, so much so that they should NEVER be able to be opened with.
$7 - Pretty much the same as $6, just a little harder to get earlier.

Anything outside this range should be heavily tested to make sure it's good at such a cost.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2012, 10:53:37 pm »

A couple questions about making Fan Cards, as I think I have some good ideas but am still struggling with the formatting of the individual cards.

1) The names of the card + card type are all done in small caps.  I use Gimp editing, and I have no idea how to do this.  Is there a way?

2) Is there an easy way to upload cards to the forum, or is a third-party site needed?  If so, what is a good one?

3) For the information at the bottom, is that needed for copyright?  Or if it is old enough (ie. Picasso stuff or older), can that be ignored?
A man on a mission.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2012, 11:33:08 pm »

A couple questions about making Fan Cards, as I think I have some good ideas but am still struggling with the formatting of the individual cards.

1) The names of the card + card type are all done in small caps.  I use Gimp editing, and I have no idea how to do this.  Is there a way?

2) Is there an easy way to upload cards to the forum, or is a third-party site needed?  If so, what is a good one?

3) For the information at the bottom, is that needed for copyright?  Or if it is old enough (ie. Picasso stuff or older), can that be ignored?

1. I am not sure, but I believe the official font (and the one that is used as a fan substitute) are small caps by default.  If not, I would look for some options or palette for the text tool, whatever it is.  I know where the option is in Photoshop, but not GIMP.  Google could help though?

2. Do you have dropbox?  There is a "public" folder that you can use to host images.

3. I think "needed" depends on a lot of variables, but I consider it more ethical to include the line for things that are out of copyright.  And for anything not in the public domain, I would ask the artist for permission before using it.  Just grabbing images off of Google is not cool.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2012, 11:04:27 am »

If you use the right font -- either the commercial one that is used on the official cards, or the free font that looks similar (both are given at the end of my guide) -- then you won't have to worry about this.  The fonts render lower-case letters as smaller versions of the upper-case letters.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2013, 10:08:27 pm »

I know this is kind of a dead thread, but I can't help it. Rule 12 needs to be gone now. DA, gaining-from-the-trash kind of broke that.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2013, 10:19:35 pm »
+1

I know this is kind of a dead thread, but I can't help it. Rule 12 needs to be gone now. DA, gaining-from-the-trash kind of broke that.

I don't think it needs to be removed, just revised. It's been said even before even DA was released, that a trash gainer could be made, but it would have to also put cards in the trash that you'd want to gain. Both examples from DA do just that.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2013, 10:21:06 pm »

Right, duh. Still think it should point out that that effect is on official cards now, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.