Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is the Innovation subforum any more worthy of having respect enabled than FGs  (Read 2933 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
+2

Since relativistically speaking I have a lot more to contribute about Innovation than Dominion, making this post is kinda shooting myself in the foot as any sort of effort to win the popularity contest of imaginary points.

But as much as I like innovation, I recognize things that go in certain boxes belong in certain boxes, and it seems like if this site is still DominionStrategy, then you shouldn't get respect for posting about Innovation strategy. 

I mean, theorel made a really reasoned, informative post about the different tactic cards available in Mage Knights the other day, and I was unable to give him any respect.  But then I turned around and made a post in the innovation subforum and I got a respect for it.  Is Innovation a more dominionish game than Mage Knights?  Mage Knights has deckbuilding so probably not. 

I don't want to contribute to identity crisis in a negative way.  Just something that's been on my mind.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:24:03 am by popsofctown »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile

But but but... I just got, like, a dozen respect for posting card images there.  :(   Would you really take that away from me?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
+9

Yeah, it would be really sad if the main source of repect would shift from jokes about Dominion to jokes about Innovation.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile

I think it's fine. I think the main reason it was disabled in forum games was more to do wtih outside players upvoting posts in games could influence the people actually taking part than "forum games aren't about Dominion Strategy".

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
+4

I don't care, its not like people will respect you based on the amount of respect you have.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
+1

oh is it that important to have respect ?

Can I buy Goko expansions from it? If so you should defenitly not get respect from other game discussions.

If not who cares where respect comes from.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile

Agreed, it doesn't matter where the respect comes from surely?
Its not dominionrespect (Hmm, im copywriting that!)

The only reason its turned off in Forum games was that some people were upset that it was being used in Mafia threads by people to show support for other posts rather than posting (or by spectators)
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile

Meh, I don't really care about respect, I don't think it's such an interesting metric on a forum such as this.

The thing about FG respect is maybe tied to post counts in there. I don't know if FG posts contribute to a poster's total, but you could imagine if someone has 100 Mafia posts in a thread and 1 post about Dominion it's a bit weird to show him with 101 total posts.

On the other hand, the FG's are something that evolved out of this community and I'm always one for letting a community go where it wants to go instead of limiting it.

I understand turning off respect in the RSP forum because of the personal issues, but the rest I could take or leave.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile

"I don't know if FG posts contribute to a poster's total,"

Pretty sure they are.

And I have no problem with putting +1s in RSP. If someone wants to agree with a post by +1'ing it, I dont see a problem with that, its showing support of a given opinion.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile

Well, venting opinions with +1's isn't the intended idea I think.
For me +1's just show that the post is meaningful and/or informative in that given thread, not necessarily based on its content.

I.e. a post with just the contents "Goko sucks!" doesn't get a +1 from me, but a post with the contents "Goko sucks, here's why... [couple of paragraphs]" is a good candidate. And I might or might not agree with that user. If I think he's raised some valid points, that's good for the general discussion.

In the case of RSP let's assume I post something like "all christians are bad" and you +1 it, what does that say about you? Do you agree with that statement or do you like the fact that someone finally has the guts to say it?

Now I'm guilty of using +1's more liberally than I advocate here, but I think you should generally be more careful in RSP than in the other sub-forums.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy

I disabled +1 in Forum Games partially by request -- it interfered with the games.  And I disabled +1 in RSP to help mediate things.  I don't want it to turn into popularity contests (i.e., winning debates via who has the most +1's).  (Forum Games also don't increase your post count because post counts get kind of out of control there.)

Otherwise I don't think of it as pertaining specifically to Dominion-related subjects. 

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile

I see no problem with it counting Innovation.  As DStu pointed out, respect mostly comes from jokes anyway.

I was sad that Forum Games respect was disabled right when I was modding my first game. All those poems for nothing! :P
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.652 seconds with 21 queries.