Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: TV marathons  (Read 2156 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
TV marathons
« on: February 10, 2013, 04:43:27 pm »

Have any of you ever done one?  I've been in a Lord of the Rings marathon and I just watched an entire TV show with my friend yesterday (we watch a bit the day before too, for a total of 17 1/2 hours).  And of course now I can't stop thinking about that show now.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: TV marathons
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:07:08 pm »

I watched Game of Thrones series 1 when I was sick one day, that was pretty good.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:42:41 pm »

I don't think marathonning for the sake of it is a good idea.  There are one or two anime series that I watched for six hours straight or so simply because they were so damn good I couldn't stop watching.  But in general I like my passive entertainment in bite-sized doses.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 11:18:10 pm »

I'm a BIG TV watcher guy. Here's a list of shows I recommend watching in several sittings.

LOST (this takes like 3 weeks)
Arrested Development
Breaking Bad
Better Off Ted
Mad Men
The Walking Dead
Archer
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 01:03:48 am »

I've done some movie marathons. Started off with LotR then moved on to Star Wars. Did a Bond marathon after that. That was before Quantum of Solace, so it was just around two hole days. I don't think I've ever been so tired in my life. After that we've been thinking about a Godzilla marathon, but we've mainly done gaming marathons since then. That's pretty fun too. Most of them are on Youtube, but in Swedish.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 03:13:52 am »

I've been watching 2-4 eps of Psych a day for the past couple of weeks.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 08:33:00 am »

I don't mind watching several episodes in a row. I was catching up on American Horror Story: Asylum by purchasing the episodes on Amazon. I had to get caught up to the point where I could watch the episodes on demand on my cable box. In one weekend, I watched the first seven episodes.

Some shows are better to watch one after another. I did not watch Lost when it first came out. I did watch it when it was showing on SciFi. We got caught up on it and were ready to watch it on its normally scheduled time. I think this was season 4. Man, after watching an episode a day, it was frustrating to have to wait a week. I could easily see this show being marathon-worthy.

I had the same thing with Babylon 5. Watched an episode on SciFi each day and then had to wait weekly in season 5. This is also a good choice for marathons.

I would love a Game of Thrones marathon, but my wife doesn't like cramming it all in. For the first season, we would watch an episode and then stop for a few days. But I want to see the next episode. She finds it too tense to watch two episodes in a row, while I find it too tense to stop suddenly and wait for the next episode.
A man has no signature

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 10:26:19 am »
+1

The Wire is quite a bit better when absorbed all together, one season at a time.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 08:32:50 pm »

I've done one-sitting marathons of the old 90's X-men cartoon and Avatar: TLA. Those were just silly fun things to do with my college roommates, but exhausting and you kinda hate yourself afterwards.

I do tend to binge-watch a lot shows though. Homeland and Game of Thrones are recent ones. I usually re-watch all of Arrested every couple years. Firefly too, which is great, but I'm always livid knowing that there's nothing left (Serenity is just unsatisfying; there was years worth of material left). Just started watching the Netflix series House of Cards and like it a lot so far.

And I don't care what Family Guy says, if you haven't watched Breaking Bad, get on it now. There's time to catch up before it ends this summer. Just do it. Now.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 08:36:55 pm »

I did the LOTR one for the sake of it (although it was planned by someone else).  The tv show I watched with my friend was an anime called Clannad, it is by far the best tv show I've ever seen.  I give it a 10 out of 10 and my friend gave it an 11 out of 10 (I wish I had beaten him to it).  I actually think it fit well for marathoning.  We watched it all because we wanted to watch it together and it was the easiest way to do it.

@Robz: I've heard of 24 and it seems like it would be interesting to do a marathon of a season in one whole day...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 09:13:03 pm »

24 started off pretty strong. It was a novel approach, and it had a decent little story in it (though the amnesia episodes made me feel like I was watching a bad 80s soap opera).

As the seasons progressed, the stakes got higher. They were no longer content with mere assassinations. They had to go to nukes and biochemical warfare and taking the White House hostage. I got bored with the series by season 6, which is actually quite a bit farther than I would think.

It's also a fun show because nearly every character is vulnerable to getting killed.
A man has no signature

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 09:19:47 pm »
+1

24 is a littler silly in the later seasons if you really think about the premise.

"A nuke went off in the US earlier this morning, why are we talking about anything other than that?"

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 09:22:49 pm »
+2

the weekend i learned how to play dominion i watched all of the first season of community. it was a fantastic weekend.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 01:51:13 am »
+1

I've done LOTR extended editions marathon 4 times. The most recent time was at AMC--it was a promo sort of thing for The Hobbit. It was awesome seeing them on the big screen for the first time in 9 years, and it was cool that there was no pause in the middle to switch discs.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.457 seconds with 21 queries.