Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Generate all numbers from 1 to 100 with 4's  (Read 25764 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Generate all numbers from 1 to 100 with 4's
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2013, 07:47:39 pm »

I don't quite get that logic... you could also say that using 4*4 is cheating, because really that's just doing 4+4+4+4. Or that 4! is cheating, because that's just 4*3*2*1.

Why would 4*4 be cheating? 4+4+4+4 still uses only 4s. I didn't specify my opinion on use of the factorial but I'd rather it not be used in this game, either.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2013, 08:25:17 pm »

I don't quite get that logic... you could also say that using 4*4 is cheating, because really that's just doing 4+4+4+4. Or that 4! is cheating, because that's just 4*3*2*1.

Why would 4*4 be cheating? 4+4+4+4 still uses only 4s. I didn't specify my opinion on use of the factorial but I'd rather it not be used in this game, either.
You are required to use exactly four 4s and no other numbers.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2013, 09:52:03 pm »

Well not so much that 4*4 itself is cheating, but rather that it takes all four of your 4s, as opposed to only two of them. And one could definitely have a fun puzzle with the restrictions that you can ONLY use +, -, *, and /, but I'm positive that all solutions from 1-100 would not be possible at that point.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2013, 10:30:06 pm »

Well not so much that 4*4 itself is cheating, but rather that it takes all four of your 4s, as opposed to only two of them. And one could definitely have a fun puzzle with the restrictions that you can ONLY use +, -, *, and /, but I'm positive that all solutions from 1-100 would not be possible at that point.

Because using an unbounded quantity of square roots and factorials doesn't trivialize this challenge at all, right?

Also, what does ⌊√√4⌋ mean?

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +71
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2013, 04:09:48 am »

I'm not sure if cosh and sinh have their own buttons though... And the inverses like asinh are often written with a - 1.
I'm using this calculator:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/KCalc_all_buttons.png
It has a 'hyp' and an 'inv' button, that allows to calculate hyperbolic functions and their inverse ones. Furthermore, if you actually press the 'inv' button, the function is named 'asin' and not 'sin^-1'.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2013, 04:18:49 am »

Because using an unbounded quantity of square roots and factorials doesn't trivialize this challenge at all, right?

⌊X⌋ means floor X, round down to the nearest integer. Subsequently you have ceil which rounds up.
So ⌊√√4⌋ = ⌊1.41⌋ = 1

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2013, 07:46:27 am »

No, it doesn't. But it makes it possible.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2013, 09:07:08 am »

I mean, using more than one square root symbol is ONLY helpful if you also use ceiling or floor functions, which I explained in my post that used them as being "easy mode". Not that I would call even that "trivial" at all... it took quite a bit of calculation and trial and error to come up with the solution I did.

But the original intent of the problem wasn't to post that type of solution, or any of the other presented solutions that use arcsign, gamma, !!, log, or any other such things where people have managed to prove that there is actually a possible solution for all integers. The intent was to use basic math symbols, including square root and factorial, to come up with 100 different equations. Using a single square root to get 2 with only one 4 doesn't trivialize the problem at all; it's a necessary part of the challenge.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2013, 09:24:43 am »
+1

But the original intent of the problem wasn't to post that type of solution, or any of the other presented solutions that use arcsign, gamma, !!, log, or any other such things where people have managed to prove that there is actually a possible solution for all integers. The intent was to use basic math symbols, including square root and factorial, to come up with 100 different equations.

But, as everybody could have known beforehand, we all like to edge-case the puzzle more than we like to solve it...

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2013, 09:28:09 am »
+2

Why solve a problem when you can break it?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2013, 09:48:00 am »

But the original intent of the problem wasn't to post that type of solution, or any of the other presented solutions that use arcsign, gamma, !!, log, or any other such things where people have managed to prove that there is actually a possible solution for all integers. The intent was to use basic math symbols, including square root and factorial, to come up with 100 different equations.

But, as everybody could have known beforehand, we all like to edge-case the puzzle more than we like to solve it...

Edge case... sure 4+4+4+4 USUALLY equals 16, but when does it not?

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2013, 09:48:53 am »

easy, if you're using base 7

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2013, 10:22:26 am »
+1

When you're using a balance that only measures to a precision of 1 gram, four separate 4.2 gram masses (each of which will appear as 4 g) have a total mass of 16.8 g (which will appear as 17 g).

4+4+4+4=17.

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2013, 10:25:09 am »

When PHP decides to turn everything into a string? 4+4+4+4 = 4444

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2013, 10:28:47 am »
+1

When PHP decides to turn everything into a string? 4+4+4+4 = 4444
=? or ==? or ===?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2013, 10:41:13 am »

Or if you're using Javascript:

Code: [Select]
    typeof NaN === 'number' // true
    Infinity === 1/0        // true
    0.1 + 0.2 === 0.3       // false

bonus
    parseInt('06'); // 6
    parseInt('08'); // 0

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2013, 10:46:26 am »

Or if you use(d) glibc:
TWO=-2

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2013, 02:14:40 pm »

I have a shirt which reads:

2 + 2 = 5
For extremely large values of 2
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2013, 02:45:23 pm »

I've always preferred stuff like 2+2=2.8 at a right angle :)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 20 queries.