Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What....what on earth happened here?  (Read 2388 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
What....what on earth happened here?
« on: February 12, 2013, 07:37:10 pm »

First let me say, I made a lot of mistakes here. I really didn't play that well. But after my opponent's turn 3, I thought this would be a game where I could mess around, build a silly engine, and power up Fairgrounds. Boy was I wrong...

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/12/game-20130212-161110-98768ed9.html

Ok, turn three, my opponent uses the awesome Silver/Silver/Copper/Copper/Copper hand to...buy a Farmland, turning a copper into an estate. Haha, ok this game will be a breeze.

The only possible reason for doing this (unless he was just learning the cards or something, and he was level 18 or something) was to power up Trade Routes, of which I already had one! I was going to use it to help thin into a Menagerie engine. When I saw him do this, I should have immediately reacted and bought more Trade Routes, but oh well. His deck seemed like it was going nowhere so I could have fun buying some random engine components, I would have time since his deck was bound to be crap soon.

But then he bought a few more trade routes and started ripping through Provinces! Trade Route was worth +$4 pretty quick and ignoring it as much as I did was stupid....but seriously, his final deck had 5 coppers and 1 silver! How was that enough money to enable Trade Route SO often...6 Provinces, almost one per turn from turns 11-17!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

sparky5856

• Bishop
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
Re: What....what on earth happened here?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:47:11 pm »

I really don't see much support for an engine on this board, with Tribute being the only source of +2 Action (and it's unreliable for getting +action at that). If you're going to get one of every card, you're going to have a lot of colliding terminals. Turn 3, you buy a Menagerie, I would have reacted to his play immediately and gotten another Trade Route, you're right. I think Trade Route-BM with a Menagerie here and there later on is the best way to go; they're gonna be too fast for Fairgrounds.

However, none of his Trade Routes ever seemed to collide, so he did get lucky there.

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:32:44 am »

A menagerie engine on this board is an uphill battle. You have very weak trashing, ZERO other cantrips, no villages. You have to load up on useless terminals to power up fairgrounds. Your initial plan should be some kind of BM. Once you see your opponent trying to use trade route, I would just add a second TR on T3 and cruise to victory.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:56:30 am »

Menagerie prefers Develop as an opener. The posts above are right in that the lack of +action in this kingdom is a serious problem, though.

CopperrCopper

• Scout
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 12:21:09 pm »

This happens to me sometimes when I see a clearly weaker opponent and don't play optimally.  I'm guessing you would have played differently vs a more experienced player.  It depends then on what your goal is.  If you can play BMU and cruise to a win, is it fun?  Do you learn anything?  I use games like these to try out different strategies sometimes with results like this.  At least you learned something about this kingdom.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 08:48:35 pm »

This happens to me sometimes when I see a clearly weaker opponent and don't play optimally.  I'm guessing you would have played differently vs a more experienced player.  It depends then on what your goal is.  If you can play BMU and cruise to a win, is it fun?  Do you learn anything?  I use games like these to try out different strategies sometimes with results like this.  At least you learned something about this kingdom.

Yeah, this is what happened. I think I was on a losing streak and was getting frustrated, so I saw turn 3 and thought I could turn my brain off and try to build a fun menagerie engine. I knew it wasn't the ideal board for it, but maybe I was blinded to how UNideal it was. I certainly did learn a lesson about trade route.

ddubois

• Spy
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 11:47:09 pm »
+1

I certainly did learn a lesson about trade route.
To buy three of them, never collide, and activate your solitary Menag twice?  Good lesson.  :P

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 11:52:25 pm »

I certainly did learn a lesson about trade route.
To buy three of them, never collide, and activate your solitary Menag twice?  Good lesson.  :P

I'm so ready for my next game. Only, I plan to open curse/curse so I don't have to trash victory points with my Trade Route.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.413 seconds with 21 queries.