Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ready, Set, Transmute!  (Read 2252 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Ready, Set, Transmute!
« on: February 09, 2013, 11:14:50 am »

So, while sitting in bed last night, I started thinking about a strategy with Transmute. It involves trashing all of your coppers for transmutes, estates for gold, and later Transmutes for Duchies then buying a lot of dukes.

Here's the game log where I tried it out.
 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/09/game-20130209-080730-4c79380a.html

I'll admit its not the best strategy, or the fastest, but hey, its fun trying to make bad cards work, right?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
Re: Ready, Set, Transmute!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 11:59:29 am »

Transmute can be an extra in a duke strategy but I've never been able to make it be the main swing.  The problem is you want to get Duchies as early as possible when playing against a real opponent.  Usually by the time I want to trash actions there aren't that many duchies left anyway.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:08:22 pm »

Yeah, in this scenario even tying in the Duchy race is a loss, because when it comes to buying Dukes Transmute is a liability in your hand. The few Golds you'll have from trashing Estates are not enough to overcome that.

I think Transmute could be a supplement to a Duchy-Duke strategy that will be really slow or for which you've already bought a Potion anyway, but as a "rush" type strategy it will choke badly.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 12:33:21 pm »

I've had Duke/Transmute work a bit, but only as part of a setup that already sank the potion cost. For instance, I had a Scrying Pool setup where Transmute was the only way to trash and I built a nice strong deck, before I could megaturn on the provinces, my opponent had bought too many provinces (5 I think, maybe 6) so I then bought three Dukes and the next turn crashed my engine by mass gaining Duchies and buying two more Dukes. I managed To get 6 Duchies and 5 Dukes which forced the opponent to stall at 7 provinces, I gained another Duchy and eventually bought two more Dukes and two Estates to get over 50% of the possible remaining VP.

I also had a game where I lost the split on Vineyards and had mass transmuted Coppers to power up the Vineyards with a big stack of Alchemists.  I swapped over to Dukes, got lucky and managed to get enough VP to eke out a win.

Many, many more times, I've gotten a Transmute because I've whiffed on something bigger (e.g. Familiar) and tried to use Transmute/Duke to recover ... it rarely wins but is better than 0 chance from other setups.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 04:31:51 pm »

Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:47:08 pm »

I have made Transmute work a few times. It really works well in engine games and also if KC is present. The good thing is that a lot of players are afraid to ever that touch that card. I think it scares players more than Scout.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 12:28:05 am »

You do have to remember that by the time you are trashing the Transmutes, you can only get one per turn and your opponent is still getting them too.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 06:27:14 pm »

Yeah, I've realized its slow. But hey, it's fun to try to make a bad card work somehow, right?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 08:31:57 pm »

You do have to remember that by the time you are trashing the Transmutes, you can only get one per turn and your opponent is still getting them too.

If you set your engine up right, you can get 3 or 4 of them per turn. Then, in one mega-turn pile out the Duchies and one more pile for a three pile win.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 03:05:03 am »

Mail-mi neved says anything about an engine…
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.556 seconds with 21 queries.