Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Iso or Goko?  (Read 47560 times)

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: Iso or Goko?
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2013, 08:38:26 am »
+1

Excuse me for being a noob - but don't you have to know what the cards do at Isotropic? Or is there any way to see what the cards do?

Anyway, that's what I figured, so I only play at Goko.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2013, 08:42:39 am »

Excuse me for being a noob - but don't you have to know what the cards do at Isotropic? Or is there any way to see what the cards do?

You can see what the cards do by hitting the "read cards" button on the side of the screen.
A man on a mission.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2013, 08:44:55 am »

Mouseover the cards and stay for a couple of seconds.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2013, 09:17:59 am »

Ahhh. Thanks for the explanation. Isotropic just looked like an "insiders game" where you had to know everything in advance, so I went with Goko.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2013, 10:01:45 am »

I do have to say this: Goko is more user-friendly to noobs and those with low computer literacy.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2013, 10:29:27 am »

This is a bit as designed, as there is some thinking that Isotropic is for those who have bought the game.

So actually, NO excuse you are a noob  ;) and Goko might suit your likes better as well as fit the business model of the producers.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2013, 10:48:04 am »

Played some more on my laptop. Still no lagging. Amazing.

However, I don't want to play on my laptop, I want to play on my stationary and it annoys me that I can't figure out why it lags.

My stationary has a faster CPU than my laptop.

My stationary has a shitty Radeon HD 5450 GPU (I'm not a PC gamer), but my laptop has onboard graphics, which ought to be even shittier.

Browser versions?

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2013, 12:59:17 pm »

I do have to say this: Goko is more user-friendly to noobs and those with low computer literacy.

This fits my experience.  My first (and only) time on Iso, I was taking a few minutes to get a handle on unfamiliar cards (despite having asked for a bias toward sets I owned, I had mostly cards I had never seen), and quickly got rude comments to hurry up.  I just quit the game and never went back.  With Goko, I played bots until I was up to speed on how the game worked at least before jumping into multiplayer.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2013, 01:09:00 pm »

This fits my experience.  My first (and only) time on Iso, I was taking a few minutes to get a handle on unfamiliar cards (despite having asked for a bias toward sets I owned, I had mostly cards I had never seen), and quickly got rude comments to hurry up.  I just quit the game and never went back.  With Goko, I played bots until I was up to speed on how the game worked at least before jumping into multiplayer.

Iso has a solo mode. Also most people are amenable to someone saying they need to read cards or study the board. Assholes can be found anywhere. Assholes do things like not set Iso to limit the experience of the match-up then demand the noob gogogogo. I don't imagine that Goko is somehow asshole proof.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2013, 01:10:32 pm »
+1

That is unfortunate; I hope you won't let that experience color your opinion of this community. My third game of Dominion was on Isotropic, and my first couple dozen games were prefaced with "I'm sorry, but I need to read the cards". Almost everyone responded positively, or at least not negatively.

On the other hand, I played a game with a perfect gentleman today who said nothing until, when the game was over, he said "gg novice get owned". It was a tie game.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2013, 01:38:48 pm »
+2

i think schneau was referring to the interface itself. isotropic is not entirely intuitive if you are unfamiliar with the game. as others have mentioned, you will find jerks anywhere you go.

and fwiw i'm not sure that judging isotropic by a single experience is the best way to indirectly make a case for goko. if everyone on this forum judged goko by only their first experience you would have loads more people who won't even bother with goko.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2013, 03:20:09 pm »

Played some more on my laptop. Still no lagging. Amazing.

However, I don't want to play on my laptop, I want to play on my stationary and it annoys me that I can't figure out why it lags.

My stationary has a faster CPU than my laptop.

My stationary has a shitty Radeon HD 5450 GPU (I'm not a PC gamer), but my laptop has onboard graphics, which ought to be even shittier.

Browser versions?
Chrome - totally up to date. Also tried with Firefox, Explorer and Opera. I have safely concluded that the browser is not the issue.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2013, 06:17:56 pm »
+2

I understand this, I think.  I played Base physically a few times and liked it enough to seek out online implementations.  All googles kept leading to iso.  I played at the German site for awhile because I was scared of all the unknown cards, but after some solo and base/intrigue weighted games on iso, I never looked back.

I read every article on this site.  I watched what my opponents did.  And I learned just how amazing Dominion really is.  I'm probably maxed out as far as levels go, and that's cool.  I got four or five games in during the DA Dream yesterday.

Iso defined Dominion for me as one of the greatest games ever made.  Goko doesn't do that (for me, or yet?) because what I feel like I'm watching there is Angry Birds: Dominion.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2013, 06:01:30 pm »
+4

My friend was playing with/teaching Dominion to a very new player last night. In the last 8 months, she's played once with the cards and maybe 5 times on Isotropic. Since she's still learning I suggested that Goko might be a better fit, since the interface is more like real life Dominion. They played one game on Goko and the new player asked to go back to Isotropic because Goko's interface is so busy.

I'd been thinking maybe only experienced Isotropic players would find Iso's interface better and that new players would prefer Goko, but last night proved me wrong.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Blueswan

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2013, 08:01:55 am »

Finally "fixed" my problem with lagging on Goko. Turns out it must be the antivirus/firewall program. I just tried disabling it and lo and behold - no lagging. At least not in the one game I just played with it disabled.

However, disabling your security programs it not really a great solution, obviously.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2013, 08:08:10 am »
+4

However, disabling your security programs it not really a great solution, obviously.

You could maybe try to just except goko.com in the firewall/antivirus...

USE OF THIS POST IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. ALL CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE." NEITHER DStu, NOR ANY OF THEIR AFFILIATED OR RELATED COMPANIES, NOR ANY OF THE EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, CONTENT PROVIDERS OR LICENSORS OF ANY OF THEM, MAKES ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND REGARDING THIS POST, THE CONTENT, ANY ADVERTISING MATERIAL, INFORMATION, PRODUCTS OR SERVICES AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THIS POST, AND/OR THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF THIS POST OR SUCH CONTENT OR SERVICES. ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WARRANTIES AGAINST INFRINGEMENT, AND WARRANTIES DStu WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE, ARE SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMED.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:10:03 am by DStu »

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2013, 09:02:49 am »
+2

I just tried the above, and then I stubbed my toe on the door leaving the room for a sandwich,

SStu, You shall be hearing from Injurylawyersforyou.com
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2013, 09:11:29 am »

SStu
I'll just count that as an insult, and we settle?

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2013, 09:52:17 am »

Finally "fixed" my problem with lagging on Goko. Turns out it must be the antivirus/firewall program. I just tried disabling it and lo and behold - no lagging. At least not in the one game I just played with it disabled.

here is something from gokos getsatisfaction, that might be helpful for you:

Hi.... can you try this? First, try to login (even if it doesn't succeed it creates a cookie we need for the next part). Then, go here:

http://www.goko.com/games/status

and where it says "Choose Connection Port", choose "Port 2" and set that.

Then see if you can login and play games. We have noticed that some personal firewalls object to our default port so please try the 2nd port and see if that does it.

Thanks!
John Q.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 05, 2013, 09:23:52 am »
+2

It's always a good idea to make a browser based game that doesn't work over port 80/443.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 2.023 seconds with 20 queries.