Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Putting it all together  (Read 989 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Putting it all together
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:06:06 pm »
+1

This is a great game to demonstrate "putting it all together". I'll write up more on it later, but here is the game:
Bishop, Colony, Envoy, Feast, King's Court, Library, Mine, Native Village, Pirate Ship, Platinum, Shanty Town, and Wishing Well

At the bottom of the post is the gamelog. But before reading it, think a little about the board and how it could evolve.

Note a few things:
1- There is no +buy, so ending with a big KC mega-turn is basically out of the question
2- It's a Colony game, so it will go long
3- Only +actions are not great options: Shanty Town, Native Village and King's Court (kind-of)
4- Only +draw is Envoy - which makes it difficult to connect what you want, or Library, which isn't great when stacked with KC
5- Only trashing is Bishop - which helps out the other guy as much as you
6- Mine is interesting as it lets you upgrade to Platinums - especially with King's Court in play

-=-=-
I've never written with that black out before, but here's my attempt. Hopefully it works.

"The Answer"

There are two key cards here that aren't mentioned in the list above. The first is Feast! By King's Courting Feast you can pick up three cards in a turn (+ your buy -> but one of those gains needs to be another Feast). You need to do that if you want to keep getting food for your Bishops to trash - since with KC a single Bishop can trash three cards a turn!

The second key card is Pirate Ship. Cards like PS (and Sab) become brutal with King's Court. By picking up a bunch of them and KCing them I managed to destroy my opponents entire economy. He was left with a single bishop as his only source of cash. The best he could do, if he KC'd it was pick up a silver - but that left him open to me Pirate Shipping him all over again. Instead he managed only a copper for a few turns to build his way back up. But if you are resorting to buying copper for cash on a Colony on turn 20, you know you are  in trouble.

So, why I think this game is interesting:
1- You need to build an engine without any real effective +actions
2- You need to use King's Court like crazy, but without a mega-turn
3- Alt-VP is key, but you need to use a trick - King's Courting Feast - in order to pull it off
4- If you did all that you would still likely lose to a modified money deck (King-'s Court->Mine->Envoy->Colonies), so you need to use attacks to slow him down - and the attack is the lowly Pirate Ship
5- You need to have patience and be willing to fall behind

The game wasn't played perfectly by a long shot (I missed getting a Feast even one turn), but it was pretty enjoyable.

Love to hear thoughts.

The log:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/07/game-20130207-185121-c330a625.html

Ed
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:09:23 pm by ednever »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Putting it all together
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:38:09 pm »

Why not just spoiler tag it?

Also, it's a pretty great game.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:51:28 am »

Fun game.

The first thing I see on this board is disappearing Village-draw to X. I actually think this is probably a solid enough village-draw combo. The problem is, aside from Pirate Ship, there's no action-based cash to KC.

I would be interested in seeing how the game would go if you opened Shanty/Silver, worked up to Libraries rather than Envoy for draw, used KC-Bishop to thin your deck and KC-Pirate for economy. It's hard to tell without +Buy (beside the Feast trick, which was nicely done BTW), but I would suspect that this engine could probably be up and running quicker than the Bishop-fest could get an insurmountable lead, and should be reasonably green-resistant (KC-Pirate Ship at $3 is a Colony if you draw it with almost anything else, KC-Pirate Ship at $4 is good enough on its own).

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:32:48 pm »

Why not just spoiler tag it?

Also, it's a pretty great game.
That's what I was trying to do, but couldn't figure out how. But now I see how!

Thanks!

Ed
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.356 seconds with 20 queries.