Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is Cutpurse or Moneylender Better for IGG Games?  (Read 1651 times)

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
Is Cutpurse or Moneylender Better for IGG Games?
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:09:31 am »

So I played this game yesterday and my initial thought was that Moneylender is a better approach, but I barely played it and eventually just remodeled it into a Duchy, while my Cutpurse (and my opponent's) seemed to have much more success. Too many hands where the Moneylender showed up without copper in it really. So maybe this is an obvious answer, but just wanted to see what others thought. Thanks!

http://www.councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20130206-145528-206399d8.html

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
Re: Is Cutpurse or Moneylender Better for IGG Games?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:19:22 am »
+1

If you're going for a Duchy rush (..or.. estate  :o), then copper is a GOOD card and trashing them is slightly counterproductive. That would mean all Moneylender is, is a generic terminal silver (since the +$3 it gives you includes the value of the copper you would have gotten to play). Cutpurse meanwhile is a +$2 to you and a -$1 to the enemy. Both of these assume that they'll hit, though.. Cutpurse is better again, since it gives you its +$2 no matter what, and its copper matching has 5 chances to work instead of 4.

Also, in general, I find that Cutpurse is by far the most infuriating when I'm aiming for $5, which seems to be the case here.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 09:35:07 am »

The better card here is cutpurse, even better than smithy according to the simulator.

Tonks77

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:16:00 am »
+1

One lesson I learned from this game was that moneylender is generally quite weak against cutpurse. Because when your only copper is cutpursed, moneylender loses its target. That happened to me in this game some times.

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:21:23 am »

One lesson I learned from this game was that moneylender is generally quite weak against cutpurse. Because when your only copper is cutpursed, moneylender loses its target. That happened to me in this game some times.

Good point - above anything else, maybe the lesson learned here is not so much which is better for IGG games, but that the two cards really conflict against each other. Seems like we both had that happen several times when I go back and look at the log.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 12:05:34 pm »

Unless you're going for a thin deck, Moneylender is usually bad. Having a couple less Coppers usually doesn't accomplish anything compared to other things you can do with a $4 card or terminal action. Cutpurse, on the other hand, is usually very good as long as you can spare a terminal action, which is the case here, since you're spending your $5s on treasures.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.199 seconds with 21 queries.