Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Author Topic: A Noob's Expansion - Come Rip it Apart...  (Read 65888 times)

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: A Noob's Expansion - Come Rip it Apart...
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2011, 02:47:28 pm »

The new 4 point cards for you to rip apart, much thanks in advance for any and all feedback:

CABAL

A pretty basic Victory - Treasure card, an homage to Harem really (one of my favorite basic cards), that's just an Estate-Silver hybrid for the cost of 4. I had debated making this worth 5, but I think at 4 it is a strong card, but not a broken card.

A treasure/victory card at 4 on the board makes Remodel and other revalue cards quite interesting. It also combos off of Bribed Official and Excursion (part of the reason its in the set).

SILVER VEIN

One of the reasons the set is called "Silver Lining" (there are other cards that add to the theme). This card also helps you understand some of the mechanics in the set too. The acquisition of Silver can yield victory points.  I put a 5 VP governor on it, so the card is never worth more than a Province. I have debated knocking the governor down to 4VP.

It's a harder card to get moving than Gardens obviously, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get it to max value (23 silvers are required to do it). This one really needs to be play-tested, as I couldn't wrap my head around the math to justify the cost/benefit of it. Also of course, the ease at which you can pull this card off can depend on the board, also it can be thwarted if you can just acquire Provinces faster than getting the Silver Vein to pay off.

It's probably the most controversial card I have in the set, (and I have other cards in the set that help it out coming out), so feel free to rip it apart, or even convince me the mechanic isn't worth it and abandon it entirely if you feel its really broken.

ratxt1

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2011, 03:02:56 pm »

my real concern for silver vein is the games where it will be a good strategy will be the same games where gardens is a good strategy (except for it has a few more cards it combos with namely buerecrat and explorer) and in the standard set up i think it will have the problem that it will be hard to go for a three pile ending as whats your third card (the other 2 being silver vein and an enabler) so in a lot of sets it will be inferior to gardens and also has the problem in that if your not going for a silver vein strategy it is a useless card as most decks have less than 5 silvers. (all these asumptions could be wrong)

cabal seems like a simple cool card and ill let others say if its overpowered or not (as i don't know)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2011, 03:08:21 pm »

Silver vein will basically never be worth more than 2 VP with printed cards, and even there, it's going to be a stretch. It's just not worth it.

Cabal shouldn't be printed because silver is supposed to be able to compete with basically every 4-cost under the right circumstances, and it basically never can here. Heck, it's gotta be stronger than stash and royal seal usually, and those are 5s.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2011, 03:08:49 pm »

Do you really think you need the Cap on Silver Vein? On first glance, it doesn't really feel overpowered. As you said, you need 25 silvers to get it to 5, 30 for 6. Unsupported, thats 38 rounds to get it to the value of Provinces, and 43 to get it above. OK, 42, as 7x7>6x8, but anyway. In 40 turn, BigMoney certainly empties the Provinces (esp. when not grabbing Duchies), so I don't see the danger there.
Supported is also difficult, as while your deck clocks with silver, the support gets weaker. There is of course the possibility of 10xKC->10xExplorer, 9xBureaucrat, gain 57 silvers, and buy the veins then, but that's a real 4cardCombo involving KC from 4 sets, I think that's ok. And I don't think that your opponent will let you get there, he certainly wants some KC for himself.

I don't really see the scenario that without the restriction there is danger very often, and being overpowered sometimes is fun. And even if Explorer+Veins,  Bureaucrat+Veins is dominant against BM, I think these both cards have deserved a little combopotential.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:11:48 pm by DStu »

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2011, 03:37:34 pm »

Cabal probably isn't game-breaking at $4, but $5 would be better.  Note this remark by Donald on the cost of Silver-with-a-bonus cards.  Basically, at $4 people will buy Cabal because they really want Silver, and this is better than Silver.  At $5, they'll buy Cabal because they want Cabal.

At first I noted to myself that if Silver Vein was on the table, this problem would go away, because then Silver would do something for you that Cabal wouldn't.  Then I realized, no, unless you've got 6 or more Silver Veins -- unlikely, unless the pile is uncontested -- then the Cabal is still worth more VP to you.  In short, rushing the Cabals will be more profitable than rushing the Silver Veins.

Silver Vein just isn't strong enough.  I think the cap is probably unnecessary -- I've never even SEEN a game with 25+ Silvers in play.  Not that people particularly rush Silvers, as there is not much incentive to, but to get 25 Silvers and 4 Silver Veins, you need 29 $3-$4 turns without +Buys, or 15 $6+ turns with.  Even a bad Province strategy will easily overtake that.

As a form of supplemental VP, then, as ratxt1 said, you'll still come up short, because 5+ Silvers in many decks will hurt their ability to earn whatever their primary VP target is.  And of those that aren't hurt by 5+ Silvers, 10 will definitely be too many for most.  So the value of Silver Vein will cap at $1.  Might as well just buy out Estates and save the trouble.

If you want a card like this, I think it needs to be worth a lot more VP.  I also don't think the cap is necessary.  Fairgrounds (with Black Market), Vineyard, Duke, and (less likely) Gardens can all be worth more than Provinces without breaking the game, so why not this?

But when worth enough VP to be an attractive incentive, I'm not sure it promotes the kind of game I'd want to play.  You'd still basically have to buy only Silvers, Silver Veins, and a couple of +Buy cards and ignore everything else on the table, however interesting.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2011, 05:21:19 pm »

I appreciate the feedback on Silver Vein. I like Cabal @ 4, it makes it one of the few "marquee" cards in the set, but I can certainly see the argument that it should be worth 5. I read Donald X's comments and they are, (of course) right on the money (forgive the pun).

I could alternatively give it a value of 1$ and then add, "this card is worth an additional 1$ if there is silver in play", or perhaps the same general effect but with copper. Alternatively, I could make it worth just 1$, and 1VP, but then add "you may trash this card and any treasure card in your hand, if you do, gain a Dutchy".  I like the idea of "an additional 1$ in play if there is silver in play", as it is thematic. There's a reason I named the expansion "Silver Lining".

As for the Silver Vein, my overvalue on this card comes from the other cards in the set that help you gain and copy Silver, but rink has taught me to never judge cards first and foremost, on their singular abilities, (make no assumptions about the board). I think for Silver Vein, I could help it feed itself, "At the end of your turn if there are no Silver cards in play, gain a Silver" and then remove the governor. It's a dangerous slope though, once  you acquire multiple veins, they'd all fire...so technically a hand of 5 Silver Veins would draw 5 cards, which increments 1VP for each card or a +5 VP turn. Then again, acquiring the silver, also slows down acquiring it, so it might be balanced. It would require a lot of play testing.

This discussion, is precisely why I made this thread. To learn about the game, to be able to judge value of cards more accurately and to get feedback from advanced players on design and approach. I can't thank you guys enough. I wish there was some kind of app, where I could buy you guys a beer at your local watering hole, because I am very grateful indeed.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2011, 05:30:06 pm »

I appreciate the feedback on Silver Vein. I like Cabal @ 4, it makes it one of the few "marquee" cards in the set, but I can certainly see the argument that it should be worth 5. I read Donald X's comments and they are, (of course) right on the money (forgive the pun).

I could alternatively give it a value of 1$ and then add, "this card is worth an additional 1$ if there is silver in play", or perhaps the same general effect but with copper. Alternatively, I could make it worth just 1$, and 1VP, but then add "you may trash this card and any treasure card in your hand, if you do, gain a Dutchy".  I like the idea of "an additional 1$ in play if there is silver in play", as it is thematic. There's a reason I named the expansion "Silver Lining".

As for the Silver Vein, my overvalue on this card comes from the other cards in the set that help you gain and copy Silver, but rink has taught me to never judge cards first and foremost, on their singular abilities, (make no assumptions about the board). I think for Silver Vein, I could help it feed itself, "At the end of your turn if there are no Silver cards in play, gain a Silver" and then remove the governor. It's a dangerous slope though, once  you acquire multiple veins, they'd all fire...so technically a hand of 5 Silver Veins would draw 5 cards, which increments 1VP for each card or a +5 VP turn. Then again, acquiring the silver, also slows down acquiring it, so it might be balanced. It would require a lot of play testing.

This discussion, is precisely why I made this thread. To learn about the game, to be able to judge value of cards more accurately and to get feedback from advanced players on design and approach. I can't thank you guys enough. I wish there was some kind of app, where I could buy you guys a beer at your local watering hole, because I am very grateful indeed.

For that modification to work, (and I think it's got huge potential to be broken, but maybe you could find a way to make it work), you'd need a way to play victory cards, which isn't currently possible.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2011, 05:50:08 pm »

For that modification to work, (and I think it's got huge potential to be broken, but maybe you could find a way to make it work), you'd need a way to play victory cards, which isn't currently possible.

You are referring to the "Silver Vein" mechanic right? Yeah I'd have to reword it, the idea is if at the end of your turn during clean up, if no silver had been played, you'd gain a Silver.

Perhaps the phrase should be:

At the end of your turn, if there is no Silver is in your hand or in play, gain a Silver.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2011, 06:23:05 pm »

You are referring to the "Silver Vein" mechanic right? Yeah I'd have to reword it, the idea is if at the end of your turn during clean up, if no silver had been played, you'd gain a Silver.

Perhaps the phrase should be:

At the end of your turn, if there is no Silver is in your hand or in play, gain a Silver.

Yes, but where is this text appearing? On Silver vein itself? In that case, you still need a way to get the silver veins in play, or the effect won't trigger.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2011, 06:29:28 pm »

I see, I guess I could trigger it when it is discarded in clean up...or alternatively I could add +1$ to it, make it a Victory - Treasure card. Looking for a way to feed itself, so that it can slowly acquire silver. I like the idea of the balance being if you don't have silver in hand or in play, you get one...but as you acquire silver, the effect becomes harder to fire.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2011, 06:38:04 pm »

I see, I guess I could trigger it when it is discarded in clean up...or alternatively I could add +1$ to it, make it a Victory - Treasure card. Looking for a way to feed itself, so that it can slowly acquire silver. I like the idea of the balance being if you don't have silver in hand or in play, you get one...but as you acquire silver, the effect becomes harder to fire.

Adding the $1 to it and making it treasure-victory and then adding the gaining-silver text on it (probably something like "When you discard this from play, if you didn't play any silvers this turn, gain a silver") (and getting rid of the VP cap. Caps are ugly and boring. booooooo caps). and you've got yourself a very interesting little card, with some interesting play decisions (do I want to play that silver or not?) and strategy decisions about how much the card will pay off. Probably it's still weak most of the time, but at least it's a thought, and on the right board it can be a powerhouse.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2011, 07:42:13 pm »

Okay here are the revisions based on feedback:

There cards are weird, and are part of the central theme of the set, so keep bashing away at them. I have no ego to bruise and really enjoy reading the feedback.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2011, 07:57:41 pm »

I don't like "in your hand or" on those cards. The cards are more strategically interesting if there's a reason to not play your Silvers with them around (see Grand Market for a similar issue).
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2011, 08:30:09 pm »

Agreed with Jack Rudd on the "in your hand or," but that's only a first-reaction kind of thought.  I haven't given the matter the consideration it really needs.  However, it seems like you put "in your hand or" on Silver Vein to prevent the situation where you play those first, gain the Silvers, then play the Silvers you'd had in your hand.  If so, this might accomplish the effect you're after but turn it into a strategic decision (do I play my Silvers or not?) instead of a luck-based decision (did I draw Silvers in my hand or not?):

Silver Vein
$4 - Treasure/Victory
(Big $1)
----
At the end of your buy phase, when this is in play and no Silvers are in play, gain a Silver.
----
Worth 1 VP for every 5 Silver cards in your deck (rounded down).

I might still make it 1 VP for every 3 or 4 Silvers, but without playtesting, it's hard to say for sure.

Unfortunately, Cabal probably can't go without the "in your hand or" part, since it's always trivial just to play your Cabals, then play your Silvers.  So that's unfortunate.  Anyway, I would reword it this way (see Diadem for reference):

Cabal
$4 - Treasure/Victory
(Big $1)
Reveal your hand.  If you have no Silver cards in hand or in play, +$1.
----
(Big 1 VP)

Newcomer

• Baron
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2011, 08:45:05 pm »

Any reason you can't make Silver Vein activate with every 4 Silvers instead of 5?  That might make it more feasible a little more often.  In fact, initially I'd have thought 3 would work well, but now that you've edited the card to give you silvers, too, that might be too strong.

I do like the change, though.  But going back to the question of not being able to play a Victory card, a simple solution would've been to make it a Treasure-Victory worth 0 coins..  Still an option if you need a tweak after play-testing.  I'm not very experienced with this; I'm just throwing out my quick thoughts in case they are helpful.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2011, 09:55:54 pm »

Yeah, my preferred fix for Silver Vein would not be to have to give you Silver, but just to be worth 1 VP for either 3 or 4 Silvers instead.  (In that case, maybe a cap of 6 would be in order).
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Thinkaman

• Chancellor
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2011, 08:44:20 am »

Servant's Quarters seems pretty functional, though it's obviously very similar to Moat. (probably superior?) I'm not sure how much it contributes, from the sound of it you only have it around because you feel it needs to be.  I bet you can get an alternative reaction that can fit better.

-----

Pauper's Feast is cool, just for the ability to trash your trasher.  That's narrow sure, but cool.  Gaining a 4-cost on trash is less cool and also a tad narrow (mostly important in certain openings) but has merit.  All in all, two sort-of narrow options make for a card that brings something to most boards.

-----

Bailey is auto-veto'd for being a cantrip moat.  It totally trivializes attacks, as why wouldn't you just buy a boatload of them?  Heck, it even gives you +Buys and costs $2 to enable just that.  No cantrip reactions; keep those guys terminal.

-----

Excursion is really narrow, even if this set has boatloads of hybrid victory cards.  All the other uses are super obscure.

Also, Dominion currently has no discard pile touching cards except for Counting House; consider why.  Digging and freely selecting a card from discard is a really slow interruption!  Counting House gets away with it because it's a terminal $5 cost with no decision making that has the virtue of opening up an entirely new type of strategy.  In general, it's not something we probably want to do.

-----

Villa seems kinda weird.  My first reaction was "what's this +1 coin doing here?"  My second was "Why don't you just discard the victory card(s) for +Card(s), wouldn't that be cleaner?" My third was "Oh, wait that let's you chain Villas--except wait, you don't want to do that in the first palce because you are still losing cards."

You we end up with this unreliable Village-Warehouse hybrid that gives you +1 money.  I'm having trouble thinking of boards where I'd want this, or broad combos I would get excited about working it into.

-----

Summon is a great card!  Elegant, clean, powerful--but like all good cheap powerful cards, it's power comes from opening the way for the big guns.

-----

Wooden Bridge is really interesting.  It's more narrow than Bridge but much better at achieving the Omega Bridge.  This is okay, because Omega Bridge is *that* interesting. (It's practically an alternate win condition!)

I didn't notice the 1 cost minimum thing first.  At first I didn't like it, but I think it's cool upon reflection.  The niche interactions with Copper and Curse are unexpected, but kinda cool.  No reason to throw this out that I can see.

-----

Bribed Official... steals a high value Treasure from their hand and into yours?  From *all* players?  Or gains you a Silver/Potion in hand?  I've gotta be missing something, because this is pants-on-head crazy powerful.

-----

Shyster seems really strong for a non-terminal $4 attack.  I mean, we're looking at a Spy level of power here.  This guy ain't exactly Torturer or Montebank, but he's still spammable and unlike say Spy, his sting really stacks with that spam.

-----

Cabal is strange.  I believe Donald mentioned in the Intrigue Secret History about testing Harem values and having just really terrible success with 1 value versions.  Bottom line is, no one wants Copper, so you are looking at Cabal only as a potential strict alternative to Silver. 

If there is a good opening $3 out, then that's easy.  Otherwise, it's easy the other way.  So there's really no decision making added by the card, just interactions with certain targeting cards?  Meh, I'm not sold.

-----

Silver Vein is more interesting.  I can't even begin to figure this one out, despite its relative simplicity.  Hilarious combo with SC/Vault.  It's probably like Gardens, where it's dominant if enabled and dubious if not. (And that's okay!  If it isn't like that, you need to nerf it until it is.)

This (Silver Vein) would need so much playtesting, but it deserves it.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2011, 01:41:48 pm »

Superb comments Think, thanks...my thoughts below...

Servant's Quarters seems pretty functional, though it's obviously very similar to Moat. (probably superior?) I'm not sure how much it contributes, from the sound of it you only have it around because you feel it needs to be.  I bet you can get an alternative reaction that can fit better.

Yeah I think it is a tad superior to Moat, but not by much. 

Pauper's Feast is cool, just for the ability to trash your trasher.  That's narrow sure, but cool.  Gaining a 4-cost on trash is less cool and also a tad narrow (mostly important in certain openings) but has merit.  All in all, two sort-of narrow options make for a card that brings something to most boards.

Yeah its pretty narrow, but when the utility is needed it seems like such a nice buy. It can get you from 2 to 4 in the opening rounds, or trash a couple of copper/estates, which is useful and add +1$ along the way.

Bailey is auto-veto'd for being a cantrip moat.  It totally trivializes attacks, as why wouldn't you just buy a boatload of them?  Heck, it even gives you +Buys and costs $2 to enable just that.  No cantrip reactions; keep those guys terminal.

One of the most contentious cards in the set. I've read a variety of reaction to this, some very much reacting the way you have. I suppose you would buy a boatload of them if the board had a lot of attacks, but its a clogger. Sure you can pull a +1 Action, +1 Card cantrip to push it away and move through, but it is card neutral, it can be action positive, for the price of another card.

I do see some hostile reaction to even the concept of a non-terminal reaction card...just on principle. I've probably seen it enough to remove the +1 Action. What would your reaction to the card be if one of the options on the card was +1$ instead of +1 Action?

Excursion is really narrow, even if this set has boatloads of hybrid victory cards.  All the other uses are super obscure.

I felt the discard pile reuse was the highlight of the card and not a huge time sink, because most of the time, you have a few victory cards. Sure there will be times when the discard pile is 30 cards deep and for some obscure reason you want the one and only province card in the discard pile, but what's the time to retrieve that truly...30 seconds at most? I suppose in tournaments this gets annoying, but in casual play doesn't seem like a big deal.

It is one of those cards, that light up when certain cards are on the board and is a complete dead weight all other times. That makes it a poor design to be sure, but in some situations it could just be nifty as hell. One thought I had for the card was to tack on an ability if the discard pile is empty and give you the option of emptying your discard pile. As in...

If your discard pile is empty +2$. If your discard pile is not empty, you may search your discard pile for a Victory card. Reveal it and place it in your hand. If you do, reshuffle your discard pile.

I've wanted to hinge a couple of abilities on an empty discard pile. This could be the excuse to do so.

Villa seems kinda weird.  My first reaction was "what's this +1 coin doing here?"  My second was "Why don't you just discard the victory card(s) for +Card(s), wouldn't that be cleaner?" My third was "Oh, wait that let's you chain Villas--except wait, you don't want to do that in the first place because you are still losing cards."

Villa was a victim to the reaction as it was first designed, and got nerfed heavily along the way. I don't want to tinker with it too much now, but I understand your reaction. If I change anything it would be to change the "discard up to 2" to "discard any number of cards"...so its essentially +2 Actions, +1$ and then a Chapel, where you aren't limited to the number of discards.

I guess people feel it can chain easily...but to me its card negative, so the chaining potential isn't as strong. It combos really well with Servant's Quarters. In a weird way, it can kind of combo with Excursion, but yeah its not the kind of card you build tactics around. It is a +2 Action card, and those have utility on boards where no other +2 actions are there...(and that happens I know it does).

It was meant to be a "WOW" card in the set (every set has a few), I wanted to be as strong as the elite Village cards, but reaction nerfed it to this. I am okay play testing it though, see how it goes.

Bribed Official... steals a high value Treasure from their hand and into yours?  From *all* players?  Or gains you a Silver/Potion in hand?  I've gotta be missing something, because this is pants-on-head crazy powerful.

It is strong. It is very powerful in multi-player games, but Thief is pretty good in that scenario too. The card does what I want it to do, but probably in an overpowered way. I'd like to add a way to avoid handing the card over, but the verbiage is already a tad verbose. One thing I could do is remove what happens if there are no treasure cards worth 2 or more, which means early in the game, the attack will often produce nothing. Another governor I can place on the card, is insist you have a Victory card in your hand to play it, making you discard it to activate the attack. Or I can just make you choose any card in your hand and discard it. It still needs work though, this I grant you.

Shyster seems really strong for a non-terminal $4 attack.  I mean, we're looking at a Spy level of power here.  This guy ain't exactly Torturer or Montebank, but he's still spammable and unlike say Spy, his sting really stacks with that spam.

It is probably the strongest, and to me, the most intriguing card in the set so far. I personally rarely play attacks, unless its Witch, Torturer or Mountebank. What I think makes it contentious is the +1 Action. I think without the +1 Action, the card becomes less overwhelming, but also probably not the greatest buy at 4, it becomes in the end, a rather weak Militia at that point. Perhaps the +1 Action should come at a price? One of the "themes" of this expansion is requiring cards to activate certain abilities, or requiring a discard to activate. What if the +1 Action required an empty discard pile, or for you to discard a card? I love the card, I want it kept in...its this set's Mountebank, but I don't want it ridiculously broken like Mountebank...and right now it is perilously close to being very broken. I could make it a Potion card, but I hate the Potion mechanic and really wanted to avoid it.

Cabal is strange.  I believe Donald mentioned in the Intrigue Secret History about testing Harem values and having just really terrible success with 1 value versions.  Bottom line is, no one wants Copper, so you are looking at Cabal only as a potential strict alternative to Silver. If there is a good opening $3 out, then that's easy.  Otherwise, it's easy the other way.  So there's really no decision making added by the card, just interactions with certain targeting cards?  Meh, I'm not sold.

I wanted two Treasure cards at 4$. The idea behind the card is you avoid Silver and just buy Cabal, and then hope you can acquire enough to bridge you up to Gold and other treasure. It goes against the rest of the theme of the deck, which often highlights acquiring Silver. It's a "no brainer" card like you say, on some boards, its not worth it, on others it clearly is.

If you avoid Silver the whole game...this card makes tremendous sense. It Remodels nicely to gold and Remodels nicely from an Estate. I want to put a 2% upgrade card in the expansion similar to Remodel as well, (which is why I want two 4$ treasure/victory cards).;

I am going to stick with it, but I understand the reaction of "meh".

Silver Vein is more interesting.  I can't even begin to figure this one out, despite its relative simplicity.  Hilarious combo with SC/Vault.  It's probably like Gardens, where it's dominant if enabled and dubious if not. (And that's okay!  If it isn't like that, you need to nerf it until it is.)

Yeah this one needs play testing. The general reaction is the +1VP for every 5 Silver cards is too difficult to reach to make it worth it. To me, I look at how I can get a 4$ card to 3VP, which means it became a better buy than Dutchy. That means 13 Silver cards make it a Dutchy for 4$ (with just a little money along the way). That's an awful lot of Silver really, and all you've reached is Dutchy levels with it.

One variant I had early on, was the card was worth 1VP by default (a big VP), then an additional +1VP for every 5 silver in your deck. This way, it becomes somewhat compelling even with just a lousy 3 silver (you'll get 2 VP out of the deal, which literally bridges the Estate-Dutchy) gap. At 8 silver cards, it becomes as valuable as a Dutchy. I don't think you can 3-pile this like you do Gardens. I need to play test, but I think anyone who tries to run the gamut and then 3-pile before the Provinces catch up, won't make it...because one of the card you need to fuel the thing is pretty much unlimited in supply.

But I do think, its one of those cards you watch, and if points are needed to catch up, you can start to buy and feed it. I suppose it becomes quite interesting if Cabal is also on the board. I know at times, when I am behind 7 to 8 VP, a card that gets me 2VP is suddenly an intriguing second buy.

People have commented they want the card to pay off at just 4 silvers each. This means your payoff comes at intervals, 3, 7, 11, requiring just 11 silvers to get you to 3VP. I intend to put in a few Silver copy/acquire/steal cards in the set, to help this urchin out, but I've learned I can't really judge cards based on  combinations in a set, it has to be judged on its own and in the context of any board it might become part of.

It was all superb commentary though, and really precisely the reason I delved into this little side-project, to solicit discussion and to learn how advanced players think and judge cards. It becomes more than just an expansion for me, it really becomes a lesson of sorts, so I thank you.

Newcomer

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2011, 03:23:50 pm »

ChaosRed, in your posts on Silver Vein, you keep referring to 3, 8, 13 cards, etc., as activating the next VP level.  The card text you presented indicated that the Silver counting should round down, i.e. 14 = 10, and you need to actually reach the next 5 to gain any VP.  If you have 39 cards in a Gardens deck, each Gardens should still be worth 3 VP; the 40th card levels them up.

What you're doing is rounding to the nearest 5.  If that's what you mean for the card to be, then change the language on the card.  But I do think that would cause some confusion, since all of the published cards like this so far have rounded down.

The negative reaction to the card is partly because by rounding down, you need 5 Silvers for 1 VP, 10 Silvers for 2 VP, and a whopping 15 Silvers in your deck for each Silver Vein to become just a Duchy.  If it were every 4 Silvers, rounded down, the level-ups would happen at 4, 8, and 12 Silvers, which is close to the 3, 8, and 13 you've been getting by rounding to the nearest 5.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2011, 03:37:28 pm »

My assumption was "rounding down" referred to the decimal being at .5. So with 3 cards, you'd be at 0.66 when divided by 5, which would round up to 1. Is that not how Dominion functions with Gardens? I thought you got your first point with Gardens at 6 cards, so 6/16/26 etc etc. Is it specifically 10/20/30?

If that is the case, I really do need to adjust the point structure.

Newcomer

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2011, 03:44:53 pm »

From the Gardens FAQ in the Dominion rulebook:

"Round down; if you have 39 cards, Gardens is worth 3 victory points."

Glad I could help to clarify that.  :-)

And again, I'll point out how close every 4 Silvers, rounded down, is to rounding to the nearest 5: 4-8-12-16, 3-8-13-18.
So I'd suggest that as a starting point.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2011, 03:58:06 pm »

Thank you, yes I'll adjust the card accordingly. A 4-8-12-16 is about the ratio I want.

Several adjustments needed based on the feedback from Think too, I'll post them up tonight, before posting any new cards.

ratxt1

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2011, 07:31:27 pm »

ok some comments on thinkaman's coments as i agree with some but disagree with others

Servant's quarters probably the claim i disagree with the most this is probably my favorite card in the set (it and summon)
and if ihad to change one think about it it would be its reaction effect (becaue no reaction has the same effect as another reaction)

seconded on bailey and do again want to point out CHANGE THE REACTION EFFECTS thats probably the easiest way to make bailey not op is to make its reaction weak

second your thoughts on summon

i also find wooden bridge to be a really interesting card (my thirdd favorite) as it is great for a mega turn but does not work with king's court (one of the more infamous ways of acheiving that mega turn) and i liked how you did that (even if you didn't do it on purpose)

bribed official doesn't seem that strong as most of the time your just massing up on silvers (which as we know is pretty bad) but i do feel it should be changed as it's pretty much superior to thief (though its less likely to get golds it doesn't have the problem of trashing there copper for them).

cabla just seems simple and elegant and i don't really see what people are complaing about there no interactions with harem and yet harems a cool card(though i guess thats subjective).

silver vein agree this needs to be playtested.

if i didn't coment on a card it means i dont care either way.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2011, 08:10:02 pm »

Thanks rat for the feedback!

I've decided to leave Cabal alone, thanks for supporting that card. I am adjusting Silver Vein to only need four silvers for a VP. I am changing Bailey so it no longer as +1 Action as an option (it will have another option). Shyster is going to require a discard to get +1 Action and will no longer draw a card, the rest stays largely the same. Bribed Official is going to get reworked and renamed, it will involve passing treasure to one opponent, then being able to trash a treasure or gain a Silver, so sort of a Masquerade type card but you must pass a treasure card. Working on the mechanics of it and will post it later today or tomorrow.

ChaosRed

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2011, 11:16:59 am »

Okay, so based on continued feedback, the tweaking of the existing cards continued.

SILVER VEIN

Everyone seemed to agree, this was the better start point in which to play test, so its been shifted to just 4 silvers per point.

BAILEY

This has been the most debated card since I posted it. A lot of people felt a strong defensive card should never have a +1 Action to it.  So I changed the +1 Action choice and changed it to my favorite activity in Dominion: trashing a card. It makes the card an extremely good buy at 2. Too much? I suspect it is and I'll have to tweak again. The one thing I'll point out is, because you must discard, when you play it from a base hand, you only have 3 cards to trash, to trashing two of the remaining 3 isn't always optimal. Still it has half the power of Chapel, and can defend all attacks, later in the game it can draw cards for you (although it is never card positive). I could just cost the card at 3, which might solve all problems with it, I could also limit the trashing to just treasure. Discussion here really welcome, this poor little card just can't seem to find its place.

BRIBERY

This is a reworked, retooled and renamed Bribed Official. Now it acts a Masquerade with some nice options. You can pawn off your Coppers, and then rather receive your opponent's trash back, you can trash one of your own cards, filter for a good card, or gain a silver. The one thing to point out here, is nothing happens if you can't pass the Treasure in the first place, or the card is defended. So it is a risk. I know of no other attack that is stopped dead on the reveal of a reaction, so perhaps this is too radical, but I like the idea Bribery can be stopped cold, with no effect.

EXCURSION

A lot of complaints about the utility of this card, so I added a feature where you can trash the card you tutor for. So now it can pull in powerful Victory hybrids, combo with cards that require a Victory card (like Baron I think), or  let you trash those Estates - slowly.

SHYSTER

Removed the +1 Action, so it is harder to chain the attack, but added an option where you can gain a Treasure card. You get the discard a card, gain a silver feature regardless of whether the attack was reacted to.

I feel my tweaks are more radical and cock-eyed that ever, so rip them apart. Let's get these cards as balanced as possible before I play test, I find the discussion really helpful to my understanding of the game as a whole.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 21 queries.