Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How should I have played this Black Market Board?  (Read 1259 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
How should I have played this Black Market Board?
« on: February 06, 2013, 09:51:16 pm »

I had no idea what strategy to take here.  I guess trying to thin my deck with Moneylender was a mistake?  My opponent picked up a lot of +2 Action cards and the King's Court from the Black Market, and despite getting most of the Minions and a Witch I was never really in contention.

What did I do wrong?  How do I defend against my opponent getting a King's Court from the Black Market?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/06/game-20130206-184706-8aee1a9f.html

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
Re: How should I have played this Black Market Board?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:04:46 pm »
+4

How do I defend against my opponent getting a King's Court from the Black Market?

(Sorry, I have no deep analysis of the game to offer -- but the GIF above conveys the answer to that one question.)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 11:42:46 pm »
+1

I imagine Wharf-BM with Hoard is probably faster than any other strategy on that board.  Forget about Minions, Familiar, Black Market.  My question is whether it is better to go straight for Provinces or work on Duchy/Duke.  I think Wharf+Hoard is strong enough to whip through 8 Provinces without stalling much though, probably before an opponent can fully realize Dukes.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 11:43:30 pm »

There are a few completely different ways to go about this, however all of them need to be careful with terminal actions. Not only are there no extra action cards except through the black market (and you therefore need manage actions to play the black market), but you might struggle to play terminal actions with the minions.

For the game as you played it, you shouldn't have bought the moneylender. You seemed to want your deck light with treasure and this probably wasn't the kingdom to do that. With no extra buys and no early trashing, your deck was never going to become a well crafted engine.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.