Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Goko Log Improvement Topic  (Read 5194 times)

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
Goko Log Improvement Topic
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:05:34 pm »
+2

Obviously inspired by that other topic. I figured I might be the one to post it, since practically all of my posts about goko are me complaining about the logs.

Here's an example game for reference: http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130204/log.508ed23f0cf20691e0b38262.1360029096687.txt

Things that I don't like:

Unnecessary Information: For example, I don't really care about whether or not I shuffle my deck at the beginning of the game. More annoyingly, I usually assume that when I buy a card, I gain it. I don't need to be told both.

The worst problem for me: No formatting whatsoever. Look at my turn 4:
---------- heron: turn 4 ----------
heron - plays Chapel
heron - trashes Estate, Copper, Copper, Copper
heron - draws Copper, Copper
heron - shuffles deck
heron - draws Estate, Silver, Chapel

I think it looks much better like this:

---------- heron: turn 4 ----------
heron plays a Chapel
...heron trashes an Estate and 3 Coppers
heron draws 2 Coppers
heron shuffles
heron draws an Estate, a Silver, and a Chapel

Other examples are like
heron plays a Witch
...drawing a whatever and a whatever
...Lady Elena gains a Curse
heron plays 2 Silvers and a Copper
heron buys a Festival
heron draws 5 whatevers

Every event begins with heron - or Lady Elena -. This is fine, but get rid of the dash and then you have a nice sentence!

It would be nice if the game over information was at the top and included supply cards remaining and ending conditions as well.

Post other ideas in this thread as well, or just ridicule my ideas as horrendous.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Goko Log Improvement Topic
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:14:54 pm »
+1

I would like to see the endgame give a breakdown of alt-VP points. Now, Iso logs will say something like "4 Fairgrounds (16 different cards)". That helps a lot.

I don't mind seeing buying and gaining together both happening. When there are on-buy or on-gain effects, the separation will be important, and it's actually not that bad once you are used to it. The color in the logs helps a lot for filtering through the info.

I would like to see the Trash contents listed somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:22:32 pm by philosophyguy »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:26:56 pm »
+2

One thing I've noticed is that while the logs show cards drawn, they show exactly nothing else about what was played--actions, buys, cash.  Which is always very nice to have in a log.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

philosophyguy

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:30:57 pm »

I'm going to in part agree and in part disagree with heron on the formatting.

I like how Iso groups together what you trash with Chapel, Forge, Remake, and when you play treasures. "plays a Chapel and trashes 3 Coppers" is better than "plays a Chapel and trashes a Copper, a Copper, and a Copper." There are probably other cases like that.

But, I don't want to group together cards in all circumstances. Hunting Party, Scrying Pool, and Saboteur, for instance, I want to show the cards one by one (like Iso does), rather than saying "revealed 5 Coppers, 2 Estates, and a Province." Likewise for normal drawing situations. If I'm playing a Smithy, I think I'd like to know the difference between Copper, Estate, Copper and Copper, Copper, Estate: I don't want to see "draws 2 Coppers and an Estate." If nothing else, it makes it a lot clearer when you try to work out counterfactuals for how you could have played the turn.

So I'm not sure what the rule is for when I want the logs to group and when I don't, and I definitely prefer erring on the side of showing too much detail.

Finally, as for the NAME - does XYZ vs. getting rid of the dash. Since people like to put card names in their user name (think Hunting Party of One or Occupy Grand Market), having a clear delimiter is helpful for parsing the logs. If there's a consistent set of words that will always follow the username and never come after card names in a line of text, I can use those instead. But man, having a single character to parse for makes regex a lot easier.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:41:42 pm »

So I'm not sure what the rule is for when I want the logs to group and when I don't, and I definitely prefer erring on the side of showing too much detail.

It seems to me that a good rule is to show the details when they would matter.  It matters for most multiple draws; it doesn't matter for most multiple trash or multiple discards.

Finally, as for the NAME - does XYZ vs. getting rid of the dash. Since people like to put card names in their user name (think Hunting Party of One or Occupy Grand Market), having a clear delimiter is helpful for parsing the logs. If there's a consistent set of words that will always follow the username and never come after card names in a line of text, I can use those instead. But man, having a single character to parse for makes regex a lot easier.

Can't the parser use the player names at the top to filter out the non-player-name items in each line?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 09:43:34 pm »

Good point on the dash.
As for the copper, estate, copper vs. copper, copper, estate vs. draws 2 coppers and an estate, why do you care except for when you trigger a reshuffle? They have the exact same effect.
So, yeah, I'd split them up between shuffles, but I wouldn't otherwise.

philosophyguy

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:12:24 pm »

As for the copper, estate, copper vs. copper, copper, estate vs. draws 2 coppers and an estate, why do you care except for when you trigger a reshuffle? They have the exact same effect.
So, yeah, I'd split them up between shuffles, but I wouldn't otherwise.

Well, if I was debating whether to play a Wishing Well but wasn't sure if I tracked my deck correctly…I'd like to be able to say "yeah glad I didn't do that" or "damn I would have had it!" I'll admit we're talking edge cases here, but there's something to the real life experience of seeing what you would have drawn in order and being able to counterfactually think through what you could have done instead.

philosophyguy

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 10:13:54 pm »

[Can't the parser use the player names at the top to filter out the non-player-name items in each line?

Good question, and I honestly don't know the answer. I would bet there is some way to do it, but it's way beyond my command line skills. If anyone wants to show me how I'd be glad to learn, though…

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 11:31:08 pm »
+1

i personally would love to see a display that shows the amount of actions, buys, and coin at each stage of the turn. it is information that should be readily available anyway, and i think it would make review and analysis of a log go smoother. implementing it in a useful way is of course a tricky thing to do. perhaps you could have something like A[1]B[1]$[2] right aligned?
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 02:55:27 am »

I think that Iso's method of showing reshuffles (with the parentheses) is far less clunky and goes a long way towards making the logs more readable.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 09:23:03 am »
+1

What I like:
+  The summary at the bottom. It does not spoil the outcome of a game.
+  It's nice the log tells you exactly what each player drew. This allows the possibility of reconstructing the game, or "watching" the game on Goko.

What I am indifferent about:
o  Player names at the beginning of each line
o  "Buy X" then next line is "Gain X." If there is a possibility of replaying the game on Goko, then the logs will have to be more detailed than Iso's logs, so the extra detail doesn't bother me, at all.

What I don't like:
-  No opening cards bought, alt VP breakdown, or what's in the trash in the game summary at the bottom
-  I second this:
The worst problem for me: No formatting whatsoever.
This would fix the buy then gain notation because it would read:
Code: [Select]
Buy X
... Gain X

Which makes a lot more sense. Or something like
Buy X
... Reveal Trader
... Gain Silver
This is especially bad for Throne Rooms and King's Courts because visually playing the actions out during a turn in a row makes it impossible to remember how many times left I have to KC something in a chain of TR/KC. And the log is useless for clarifying this at the moment. If the log just used indentation, this would make playing these types of situations out better, as well as understanding what is going on after the fact. Ideally I would like them to "tree" visually in the play area, as well, but fixing the log formatting seems like a much easier short term fix.
- I also second this...
i personally would love to see a display that shows the amount of actions, buys, and coin at each stage of the turn. it is information that should be readily available anyway, and i think it would make review and analysis of a log go smoother. implementing it in a useful way is of course a tricky thing to do. perhaps you could have something like A[1]B[1]$[2] right aligned?
...with one modification. It would be nice for the log to explicitly show the three game phases: Action, Buy, and Cleanup, as well as the game state of number of actions, buys, and coins available. While Iso does something like "plays a Chancellor, gets +$2," you have to add everything up as you go, and just displaying the state would be better. Something like
P{a,b,c}
at the beginning of each line would be great. (P is phase: (A)ction, (B)uy, or (C)leanup, and a is number of actions, b is number of buys, and c is number of coins). This should be really easy to log for Goko given they display it live during the game for you. In this log:
---------- Polk5440: turn 1 ----------
Polk5440 - draws Copper, Copper, Copper, Copper, Copper

---------- Thomas Keke Kessler: turn 1 ----------
Thomas Keke Kessler - plays 4 Copper
Thomas Keke Kessler - buys Bridge
Thomas Keke Kessler - gains Bridge
Thomas Keke Kessler - draws Estate, Copper, Estate, Copper, Copper
would be something like
---------- Polk5440: turn 1 ----------
A{1,1,0} Polk5440 - nothing
B{0,1,0} Polk5440 - nothing
C{0,0,0} Polk5440 - draws Copper, Copper, Copper, Copper, Copper

---------- Thomas Keke Kessler: turn 1 ----------
A{1,1,0} Thomas Keke Kessler - nothing
B{0,1,0} Thomas Keke Kessler - plays 4 Copper
B{0,1,4} Thomas Keke Kessler - buys Bridge
B{0,0,0} Thomas Keke Kessler - ... gains Bridge
C{0,0,0} Thomas Keke Kessler - draws Estate, Copper, Estate, Copper, Copper
Would it be worth displaying other game states like current score or things like # cards in deck if Gardens is in play, etc? I don't know. It would be useful, but might be information overload. Right aligned would actually work better now that I think about it, but that would be a little harder to display using plain text.

philosophyguy

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 09:46:39 am »
+2

My immediate reaction to the {a,b,c} format is "that's ugly!" Here's what I would suggest:

1) When cards are played, list the +actions +buys +coins like Iso does
2) After playing all treasure, show available buys and coins

Player plays Festival
…getting +2 actions, +1 buy, and +2 coin
Player plays Fool's Gold
…getting +1 coin
Player plays Fool's Gold
…getting +4 coin
Player plays 3 Copper and 2 Silver
Player has 2 buys and 13 coin available

3) I actually don't care about tracking actions; am I alone on this? It's different live, when I'm trying to figure out if the person has an action remaining and I'm making them discard from their Envoy draw, but in a log I just don't care beyond what's in the code snippet above.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 09:47:40 am »
+1

what would also be nice would be a zip with all logs of the day...

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 09:48:09 am »
+2

I don't like that P{x,x,x} format.  I think if you must do that, you should create html logs and have a table:

Action1 Action1 Buy0 CoinThomas Keke Kessler - nothing
Buy0 Action1 Buy0 CoinThomas Keke Kessler - plays 4 Copper
0 Action1 Buy4 CoinThomas Keke Kessler - buys Bridge
0 Action0 Buy0 CoinThomas Keke Kessler - ... gains Bridge
Cleanup0 Action0 Buy0 CoinThomas Keke Kessler - draws Estate, Copper, Estate, Copper, Copper

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 10:43:03 am »

My immediate reaction to the {a,b,c} format is "that's ugly!" Here's what I would suggest:

1) When cards are played, list the +actions +buys +coins like Iso does
2) After playing all treasure, show available buys and coins

Player plays Festival
…getting +2 actions, +1 buy, and +2 coin
Player plays Fool's Gold
…getting +1 coin
Player plays Fool's Gold
…getting +4 coin
Player plays 3 Copper and 2 Silver
Player has 2 buys and 13 coin available

I agree a summary after playing all treasure and before actually buying anything would be nice (i.e "Player has 2 buys and 13 coin available"). It's certainly cleaner looking.

I disagree that the way Iso does it is best. All that adding coin and subtracting actions (or not if TR/KC/Golem) is a lot of work to follow along, and I mis-add a lot. And actually, your example should read "2 buys and 14 coin available." If you are giving me a partial increment ("getting +2 actions, +1 buy, and +2 coin") I would rather have the total instead, but I see why it's ugly to display and might be easier to do the increment.

There is also the "future interaction" with Council Room which is maybe where some of this stuff can go, too. Council Room overlays a status box showing supply piles, deck compositions, and points, so that information doesn't have to be explicitly in the log at every stage, I guess. Maybe running totals during turns could be handled there, too?

[Edited for clarity]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:48:23 am by Polk5440 »

philosophyguy

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 11:23:58 am »

I disagree that the way Iso does it is best. All that adding coin and subtracting actions (or not if TR/KC/Golem) is a lot of work to follow along, and I mis-add a lot. And actually, your example should read "2 buys and 14 coin available." If you are giving me a partial increment ("getting +2 actions, +1 buy, and +2 coin") I would rather have the total instead, but I see why it's ugly to display and might be easier to do the increment.

See, I like seeing what each card does. Maybe something like this would be a decent compromise?
Player plays a Festival
…getting +2 actions (3 remaining), +1 buys (2 remaining), and +2 coins (2 remaining)

It looks busy but shows everything you need to know.

philosophyguy

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 01:00:58 pm »
+2

Logs should indicate which card is the Bane in the Supply info at the top of the page.

philosophyguy

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 04:31:53 pm »
+2

I just realized that Goko logs have JackOfAllTrades rather than Jack of all Trades. Really? The extra spaces are too much? It's a text file; put the actual card name instead of camel case.

philosophyguy

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 10:08:04 pm »

I don't have a strong opinion on this yet, but what do folks think about making the log show what the top card is on the Ruins and Knights piles? Obviously you can tell what was there after it was gained, but in terms of analyzing tactical moves it would be helpful to see what's there so we could say, "It would have been better to buy Dame Sylvia there rather than another Silver."

Obviously the tradeoff is that the information won't be useful very often and it makes the logs longer. So, thoughts?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.