Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hunting Party / Woodcutter vs. Gardens/Woodcutter  (Read 1274 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Hunting Party / Woodcutter vs. Gardens/Woodcutter
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:50:25 pm »

My Hunting Party engine with Woodcutter as a kicker just barely edges chaimai's Woodcutter/Gardens rush:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/04/game-20130204-184329-3e6f47b6.html

I should have lost, except Chaimai trashed a Horn of Plenty for an Estate on turn 22. Had that been a copper gain instead of an Estate gain, chaimai's Gardens would have hit the 5-point threshold and I'd have lost 58–58 on the turn-order tiebreaker.
(Well, I could have bought Province/Duchy instead of Province/Province and picked up the last Province on a later turn for the win—but I wasn't keeping score that carefully.)

I guess I should have sniped a couple of Gardens? They would have been worth at least as much as the Duchies I did buy in endgame when I couldn't hit $8.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting Party / Woodcutter vs. Gardens/Woodcutter
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:39:37 pm »
+1

I would definitely recommend Salvager over Woodcutter as your terminal here. Horn of Plenty also looks like it could be nice, not necessarily for the megaturn, but to fuel your Salvagers and pick up lots of Hunting Parties quickly.

Here's a solitaire: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/04/game-20130204-193628-a67c9d41.html

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 01:44:49 am »

Salvager, really? Hmm. I went for Woodcutter on the grounds that deck-thinning is less important in a Hunting Party deck, and once the Estates were cleared out, Salvager would be giving me less +$ per turn than Woodcutter would unless I started Salvaging Hunting Parties or better. I thought about picking up a Horn of Plenty, but wasn't sure I'd be playing enough distinct cards per turn to make it reliably useful (and it competes with Hunting Party on price, too).

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 03:29:05 am »

Thinning is less important, but increasing the odds of not having your HP chain fizzle early is nice. I'm not sure when picking up HoP is correct in a Hunting Party mirror (I know this game wasn't), as it does conflict. But getting 5 uniques with Hunting Party (aka the care where you must draw a card with a new name) is pretty easy. The trick is deciding when you have enough Hunting Parties to do that, and making sure it's not dead weight later (which Salvager can help with here.)
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 03:33:49 am »

You also remove a unique card from your deck once Salvager finishes off the starting Estates.

In any case, Woodcutter is not an exceptionally strong support card for Gardens. Heck, you probably could have even fiddled around with remaking Gardens -> HP/HoP here and still come out on top.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:50:35 am »

The big advantage with Salvager is it lets you empty the Province pile faster by Salvaging Provinces into each other.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.