Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Masq-Bm strategy beats mine  (Read 1610 times)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Masq-Bm strategy beats mine
« on: September 17, 2011, 03:37:06 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201109/17/game-20110917-123301-d061c300.html

This was a game with me and wanderindwinder just now.
A typical big-money type strategy, but i had also bought a baron in the beginning just in case i was passed an estate, while WW, just went masq-BM, and beat me. 

Do you think my slight variation was worse, or did he get lucky?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Masq-Bm strategy beats mine
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 03:42:45 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201109/17/game-20110917-123301-d061c300.html

This was a game with me and wanderindwinder just now.
A typical big-money type strategy, but i had also bought a baron in the beginning just in case i was passed an estate, while WW, just went masq-BM, and beat me. 

Do you think my slight variation was worse, or did he get lucky?

WW never gets lucky ;). Seriously, I think there are two mistakes here. First is baron, which might help a little for a little while if I'm passing estates to you, BUT... you don't really want those estates around that long, and if you are trying to end up with the estates, you'll be passing me copper, which will help me. Second is Walled village, which just doesn't really do anything for you. You do actually want the silver there. But okay, yeah, I got slightly lucky, though not very much above average for BM/masq.

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:09:13 pm »

Your topic title is misleading; I thought you were playing a strategy involving Mine the card at first.

Anyway, you always drew your Baron without estates after turns 7 (for a total of 5 times). After your turn 8 though, your deck had only one estate to try to hit with your baron, and that's about as likely as activating treasure maps.

danshep

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 12:25:33 am »

It's better to have 2 silvers than a baron and an estate. You might be able to get a jump-start with baron at the start, but considering that masq already lets you play a 6 card hard, it's even better and jump-starting you into golds.

It's always hard to tell because you don't see the masq passings, but you should've either passed or trashed the baron on turn 10, as most estates had already been trashed then. I would've gone the pass, as it would just gum up the other deck.

It lulled you into hanging on to an estate long after you should have, and also lulled you into buying a walled village which should never have been bought. It's not clear if the baron was a bad idea, but the way it messed with your thought process really bogged you down. If I was going to get a second terminal here, it would probably be a second masq.

Geronimoo's sim shows single masq beating out baron/masq handily, but you really need to be able to mess with the masq passing rules to do it properly and masq isn't in rspeer's sim yet.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 04:04:50 am »

It's always hard to tell because you don't see the masq passings, but you should've either passed or trashed the baron on turn 10, as most estates had already been trashed then. I would've gone the pass, as it would just gum up the other deck.

It lulled you into hanging on to an estate long after you should have, and also lulled you into buying a walled village which should never have been bought. It's not clear if the baron was a bad idea, but the way it messed with your thought process really bogged you down. If I was going to get a second terminal here, it would probably be a second masq.
This. The baron per se doesn't seem to be a bad mistake; after all, if it hits once and whiffs once, it's netted you $4, same as a silver. But after getting two chances with it, you should be thinking about passing it esp. if both of you have been trashing estates. The only time it could conceivably come into use again is the late late game for duchy dancing (or province dancing in this case); in the midgame you want the Baron in the other guy's deck.

That said, Baron + Masq has a higher than normal chance of collision, because Masq. draws cards.

Still, to me, the more glaring mistake is Walled Village. It's doing nearly nothing at all.

Against other (lesser?) opponents your Baron hitting the first time may make them second-guess themselves on passing Estates (reason being they don't want to pass an Estate into your hand; they'll pass a copper and trash their own estate). Clearly WW has no such misgivings.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.67 seconds with 20 queries.