Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How to play the "iconic" kingdom  (Read 7956 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
How to play the "iconic" kingdom
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:54:21 pm »

From the DXV interview thread:

"I can pick a poster child for each set though.

Main: Laboratory
Intrigue: Nobles
Seaside: Wharf
Alchemy: Golem
Prosperity: Bank
Cornucopia: Fairgrounds
Hinterlands: Haggler
Dark Ages: Graverobber"

So that's your 8-card kingdom.

How do you play it?
(pretty clear you open silver/silver anyway...)

At first glance i thought it was obvious, but the more I look the more I see cool options.

Ed

Ed

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: How to play the "iconic" kingdom
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:01:12 pm »

Fairgrounds takes a bit of a hit, I suppose ... 6VP Fairgrounds would require a copy of all 8 Kingdom Cards, all 3 Treasures, all 3 Victory cards, and a Curse.  At least there aren't that many terminals and Nobles if you are desperate.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:08:12 pm »

My first glance answer is Wharf-BM with Banks over Golds. I'm now wondering what cool options you've spotted that can improve on that. I guess Fairgrounds aren't too tough to reach 4 VPs, so they could be factored in...
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:18:30 pm »

Straight Wharf-Bank-BM for me, I think.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 07:50:56 pm »
+3

Clearly we wait to find out what the iconic card from Guilds is, add Stash, and then play a 10-card kingdom.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 08:08:43 pm »

Would throwing in a golem help? It gives you an extra wharf play. You'd probably manage to hit it every other turn at least, (and it doesn't stay pinned to your wharves), but of course you also have a junk potion floating around and your start slows down. Still, those extra two cards late game might be what you need to reach $16. Just a thought.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 08:19:52 pm »

Assuming there are 2 other cards in the kingdom, I'm pretty sure that BM is not the way to go when there is alt VP like Nobles and Fairgrounds on the board and very strong engine enablers such as Golem, Lab, Wharf, and Haggler.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 08:31:05 pm »

Clearly we wait to find out what the iconic card from Guilds is, add Stash, and then play a 10-card kingdom.

I would have gone with Black Market or Governor to represent the Promos.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 08:31:34 pm »

Assuming there are 2 other cards in the kingdom, I'm pretty sure that BM is not the way to go when there is alt VP like Nobles and Fairgrounds on the board and very strong engine enablers such as Golem, Lab, Wharf, and Haggler.

I think the assumption is there aren't.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 08:40:59 pm »

I believe DXV has previously said that stash is his favorite promo. I can't find the quote now though.

If I remember right, his reasoning was that it was
1) Exotic
2) Simple enough that it could be a promo and doesn't need a rulebook/faq
3) Not something that you'd miss if you didn't get promos

but I could be misremembering.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 08:58:29 pm »

I believe DXV has previously said that stash is his favorite promo. I can't find the quote now though.

1) Exotic

Yep. Personally I prefer Black Market but Stash seems a reasonable choice to me as well.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 09:03:32 pm »

Would Golem/Stash be a good combo then?  Probably with a single Wharf tossed in.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 12:32:55 am »

Would Golem/Stash be a good combo then?  Probably with a single Wharf tossed in.
I guess so, but looks slower than Wharf BM with Bank
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 01:24:14 am »

1) Exotic

Stash is the promo that does the best job of being a promo, for the reasons you cite. As cards I like Black Market and Governor more.

Tonks77

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 06:44:39 am »
+1

Fairgrounds takes a bit of a hit, I suppose ... 6VP Fairgrounds would require a copy of all 8 Kingdom Cards, all 3 Treasures, all 3 Victory cards, and a Curse.  At least there aren't that many terminals and Nobles if you are desperate.

You can use Potion instead of the curse.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 08:36:55 am »
+1

I think the assumption is there aren't.

That's absurd, because a kingdom has 10 cards  ;)

In any case I still think engine wins. 6 VP Fairgrounds are easy, Nobles are tiebreaker VP, and the engine is pretty resilient to Duchies as well. BM does only need to get to 7 Provinces unless the engine wants to get the 15th card from someplace else, but I'm pretty sure that's more than enough time for the engine to gain a ton of cards and play massive turns.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 09:53:01 am »

I think it's pretty hard to make an engine in the 8 card kingdom - wharf+bank BM is very strong, and that combo allows you to safely wait to green if you see your opponent isn't going to contest provinces.  In that case, the BM player can expect to double province at least once. 

Engine problems: the only source of +action is nobles, which is terrible for that (necropolis for $6), and Golem (which might hit a lab if you're lucky or spend a long time getting a high lab density).  With Fairgrounds at 6, it's possible, but that means you need a lot of terminal actions (with poor +action) among which Graverobber is a mostly dead $5 (note that you don't need a curse if you've got a potion).  If you'd go for an engine in the 8 card kingdom, i'd like to hear how you think you can make it work.  It may be that if you can hit 6 reliably and pick up a Nobles and a lab your golems would actually work.

On the other hand, if you through a cheap non-terminal or two in there, then the Golem can actually work for +action, the Haggler gets way better (now useful for more than silver when you don't hit 6), and the Graverobber can trash those for Fairgrounds later on (not terribly useful, but at least it's no longer dead).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:55:46 am by flies »
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 10:10:31 am »

Anyway here's a not-very-well-executed engine on my first try: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/01/game-20130201-070318-8b0d981b.html

Compared to Bank-Wharf-BM, which I'm guessing is around 17-18 turns to 7 Provinces and 19-20 turns to 8 Provinces: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/01/game-20130201-070651-ec5d8710.html

I'm pretty sure engine can be optimized to be much faster with earlier Banks. I feel like I greened too early and was just doing things haphazardly.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 10:18:46 am »

Anyway here's a not-very-well-executed engine on my first try: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/01/game-20130201-070318-8b0d981b.html

Compared to Bank-Wharf-BM, which I'm guessing is around 17-18 turns to 7 Provinces and 19-20 turns to 8 Provinces: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/01/game-20130201-070651-ec5d8710.html

I'm pretty sure engine can be optimized to be much faster with earlier Banks. I feel like I greened too early and was just doing things haphazardly.

Does Wharf-BM really want 7 Wharves?  Isn't the consensus around 3-4?
A man on a mission.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 10:36:50 am »
+1

One of those came really late when I didn't want to spend $5 on a Duchy because the goal is to empty out the Provinces, but 6 Wharves sound about right... A weaker terminal drawer like Oracle demands 3-4 in a BM deck, so it makes sense that Wharf wants even more, especially when the goal is to get 8 Provinces and not 4.

In the actual matchup you probably won't get to 6 because the engine is competing for them and can pick them up really quickly in the mid-game.

EDIT: here's a better one with a more realistic number of Wharves
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/01/game-20130201-075826-21468ca8.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:17:45 am by dondon151 »

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 01:25:11 pm »

I think Stash is actually my least favourite card in the game.  It might be 'exotic' but it doesn't do anything really interesting as such.  It's not really a great combo card that you can really do 'cool stuff' with and because it isn't that good so I haven't played with it enough to have a soft spot for it or have any good memories.  Oh and it makes my collection look ugly by having the cheek to have a different back, which really makes my OCD flare up.

Sorry Stash, someone has to be in last place :(

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 01:42:21 pm »
+1

I think Stash is actually my least favourite card in the game.  It might be 'exotic' but it doesn't do anything really interesting as such.  It's not really a great combo card that you can really do 'cool stuff' with and because it isn't that good so I haven't played with it enough to have a soft spot for it or have any good memories.  Oh and it makes my collection look ugly by having the cheek to have a different back, which really makes my OCD flare up.

Sorry Stash, someone has to be in last place :(

Man, the one game I played with Stash where I got to use them to hide from my opponent's Schemed Pirate Ships made Stash worth it forever.

crazyrunnerguy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 02:14:28 pm »

Good thought above, and it's likely tough to beat Wharf/Bank/BM, but my initial thoughts also suggested opening potion/Silver, and picking up a Golem or then pushing Wharfs (2 or 3) and Labs on $5 after you get a couple of golds and push for double provinces to end game.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 02:19:05 pm »

Good thought above, and it's likely tough to beat Wharf/Bank/BM, but my initial thoughts also suggested opening potion/Silver, and picking up a Golem or then pushing Wharfs (2 or 3) and Labs on $5 after you get a couple of golds and push for double provinces to end game.

You definitely don't want to open Potion. The chance of drawing Potion, silver and 2 coppers (or Potion and 4 coppers) is small, and even if you do, what actions are you planning to play with it? The potion should be grabbed during the second reshuffle at the earliest, possibly the third.

Dondon, I have to say the strength of the engine there surprised me somewhat... but will it still hold up as well when it's actually facing a real opponent? BM/Wharf is obviously going to grab a lot of Wharves quickly, leaving the engine to choose between not getting many (it'd probably manage 3-4, especially if the BM player denies them by overbuying (not sure how good an idea that is mind), OR having to grab them a little earlier than desired, slowing the engine's buildup a little. In either case, I think it'll be slowed somewhat. I dunno if that's enough for Wharf to win out, though.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 05:23:08 pm »
+1

my best BM/wharf run to 8 prov was 15 turns (with no duchies) http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201302/01/game-20130201-141945-80fad65a.html , more typically 17 turns with some duchies (scores in the high 50s).

Clearly, dondon's engine can beat that.  I am clearly no engineer!
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.453 seconds with 20 queries.