Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Why Menagerie is a high skill card  (Read 905 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Why Menagerie is a high skill card
« on: January 31, 2013, 11:53:10 am »
+1

I'm a little proud of this game.

Menagerie is my Achilles heel. I experience no better satisfaction playing Dominion than when I get a Menagerie-draw engine work.
I also really really like Monument Engines - that allow you to play 6 or so per turn letting you delay Province buys - sometimes forever.

This one Kingdom combined both.

Monument was the only 'come back' VP available, but otherwise it was a great Menagerie board: Inn, Mine, Great Hall, Farming Village (for Monument plays). Salvager is a 'good enough' trasher here, but had the huge downside of letting the other player trash provinces for provinces and speed up the game. Thankfully my opponent didn't catch on to that idea until near the end.

I was still afraid by the end I wouldn't be able to come back, but I pulled it off with 5 Duchies on turn 17, and a buy everything green that was left turn 19, to sneak in a victory.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/31/game-20130131-084449-7d0005cb.html

Likely would have been beaten by a Big-Money that used Salvager effectively, but not near as much fun.

Ed

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Why Menagerie is a high skill card
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 12:25:09 pm »

I think Menagerie is still the right way to go, even thought the money guy can use Salvager. There are a couple things you could have done better at the start. Your turn 3 and 4 buys of Gold and Great Hall seem kind of pointless. You don't really want to buy expensive stuff, so you don't need Gold early, and Great Hall does absolutely nothing. I think those should be Mine and Menagerie. While Gold is a big one-time Salvager fuel, Mine produces it constantly, and you want that going asap.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Re: Why Menagerie is a high skill card
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 03:57:42 pm »

I think Menagerie is still the right way to go, even thought the money guy can use Salvager. There are a couple things you could have done better at the start. Your turn 3 and 4 buys of Gold and Great Hall seem kind of pointless. You don't really want to buy expensive stuff, so you don't need Gold early, and Great Hall does absolutely nothing. I think those should be Mine and Menagerie. While Gold is a big one-time Salvager fuel, Mine produces it constantly, and you want that going asap.

Good call I think.
When starting building an M deck I generally like to pick up variety. On an early $6 I will grab a gold (assuming there are extra buys available), so I get some variety and economy at the same time. That gold lets me buy 3 m's on one turn a few later I think.

Great Hall is a good point. I see no reason why I did that over M. Even if the M doesn't activate it's no worse.

Other only charitable explanation is that I was disguising my plan to go into M's so I could surprise win the split and pick up 7 of them?

Ed
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.261 seconds with 20 queries.