Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rabble counters Minion  (Read 2021 times)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Rabble counters Minion
« on: September 17, 2011, 04:55:39 am »

Here's a game in which many notable things occured. To start, we will note the kingdom cards in play, as is how most game reports begin:

cards in supply: Farming Village, Fishing Village, Hamlet, Island, Minion, Pearl Diver, Quarry, Rabble, Treasury, and Workshop

Now, I looked at this and thought "Fishing Village, Treasury, Minion. That's my strategy sorted". I decided that if I was going for a Minion engine, I'd need some light trashing so I decided to hammer the Islands early to get as many starting cards as I could out of my deck before putting my engine together. I opened Fishing Village/Farming Village (double-village opening, what?) in order to have the actions to play my Islands. On reflection I probably should have opened Fishing Village/Fishing Village or Fishing Village/Island as the Farming Village doesn't contribute to the Minion engine at all and probably slows down my Islanding by skipping over the cards which are highest on my priority list for setting aside. I didn't open Silver because I wanted as little dead-weight as possible in my eventual Minion deck and I could get $ from Fishing Village anyway.

I quickly realised that with Fishing Village, Minion AND Treasure contributing to my final plans, I was going to have a lot of money, so on turn 5 I picked up a Hamlet over Fishing Village with $3 as it was the only +buy on the table. I proceeded to blast through the Island stack, setting aside as many starting cards as possible and picking up Fishing Villages whenever I fell short of $4. On my turn 12 I hit my first $6 hand, which was also my first $5 hand. "Brilliant", I thought, "now I can start picking up Minions and this will be over in no time at all". I looked at the Minion stack and was horrified to see only 3 remaining. I needed to change my plan fast, and considering my opponent had 7 Minions, I didn't feel too confident that I could change it fast enough to do anything meaningful. I picked up a Gold as Fishing Villages alone were not producing huge amounts of money. Afterall, it was turn 12 and I'd only just hit $5 for the first time!

I soon got a grasp on my new plan as I noticed just how many spare actions my Fishing/Farming Villages were creating for me. I looked at the kingdom cards available thinking "maybe there's a terminal that can pull me out of this", and sure enough the only meaningful terminal available was a +3 card terminal: Rabble. I had to go for it. I wasn't too upset about the lack of choice because I love playing action chains and with all the spare actions I had, that was inevitable with Rabble. I ignored VPs for the next few turns and by the end of turn 15 I'd picked up 4 Rabbles (thanks to my early foresight in needing a Hamlet for +buy) and my opponent was just picking up his third Province.

I was behind but it wasn't all over yet. I could still remember the 6 Islands I rushed earlier and realised that this meant, despite the fact I was 3-0 down on Provinces, I wasn't actually too far behind. I kicked my deck into gear. with a load of cards Islanded away, and Fishing Villages only being in my deck every other turn, I had a very slim deck which allowed me to get all four Rabbles out reliably. The game finished on turn 20 with me picking up 4 of the remaining 5 provinces and 3 Duchys to boot (thanks to my Hamlet!) to take a commanding lead and steal victory from the jaws of defeat 48 - 37.

Now, why did my opponent's 7-Minion engine shut down for the last 5 turns of the game? Rabble. Each time he came to the table he'd do what you always do with a Minion engine: Play all but 1 Minions for money, discard and draw 4... Then he was in trouble. After 4 Rabble hits, the top 2-3 cards of his deck were all green. That only left him with 1-2 card with which to find a Minion to carry on his chain. I feel that the usually weak attack portion of Rabble is what bought me the time I needed to pull back from a 3-0 Province defecit, and I was pretty proud of this game.

So yeah. The point of this game report: You can open double-village, let your opponent get a 7-0 Minion lead, go 3-0 down in Provinces and still win.

Usual disclaimers: Neither of us played optimally. My opponent was level 5 so I was always favourite to win (and when I say "always" I mean "before I went 7-0 down on Minions"). etc. etc.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:01:16 am by Thisisnotasmile »

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: Rabble counters Minion
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 06:50:44 am »

Well there aren't a lot of strategies that survive 2-3 greens on the top of the deck. Maybe if he invested in farming village? I think the lesson here is that you over invested in islands and fishing village, when you'd have been better off grabbing a quarry or two.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 07:22:37 am »

Well there aren't a lot of strategies that survive 2-3 greens on the top of the deck. Maybe if he invested in farming village? I think the lesson here is that you over invested in islands and fishing village, when you'd have been better off grabbing a quarry or two.

I didn't want to buy Quarries for the same reason I didn't want Silvers: They'd get in the way of Minions later on. I guess 1-2 Quarries and a few Hamlets would have got Minions sufficiently fast enough that it wouldn't have mattered?

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:23:15 am »

Yeah. I mean, cleaning up the deck helps, but the critical part of the minions strategy is, well, getting lots of minions, and you can't really afford to dawdle in that respect. A quarry is a $4 gold - or a $4 gold + silver with a +buy, and so it should really help, and once you have minions, that further accelerates your strategy. You can't really afford to get into the situation were you get your first $5 hand on turn 12! 99% of the time, that means you lose.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 11:13:00 am »

I don't think this is a trivial kingdom at all. A number of the building blocks of certain strategies could under perform for a variety of reasons such as loss of tempo, reduced hand sizes, opponent's attacks, lack of coins, etc. The building blocks also seem best for generating more building blocks rather than the payload of the deck. A hamlet look good until you're always throwing away coppers for your extra buy or just playing them for an extra card in poor hands. A quarry might look good until it's discarded by minions repeatedly. Rabbles might look good until your opponent plays a farming village. Islands might look good but how do you find the time and actions to use them before the game accelerates? A workshop continually generating islands and farming villages seems ideal but can you spare the actions and loss of tempo to use it?

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 12:07:03 pm »

Pretty cool board. Getting a Minions engine up without trashing is probably a little too slow and inconsistent. Opening Workshop might actually be good here. It gets you Islands for points and Villages to support Rabble. Island/Workshop seems a decent opening to build a FV/Rabble engine! Here's a pretty solid bot that goes for this strategy for the simulators among you:

Code: [Select]
<player name="Workshop/Island into FV/Rabble">
   <buy name="Province"/>
   <buy name="Duchy">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInSupply" attribute="Province"/>
         <operator type="smallerOrEqualThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="4.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Island">
      <condition>
         <right type="constant" attribute="4.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Estate">
      <condition>
         <right type="constant" attribute="2.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Gold">
      <condition>
         <left type="getTotalMoney"/>
         <operator type="smallerThan" />
         <right type="constant" attribute="8.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Rabble">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Rabble"/>
         <right type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Fishing_Village"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Island">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Island"/>
         <right type="constant" attribute="2.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Workshop">
      <condition>
         <left type="countCardsInDeck" attribute="Workshop"/>
         <right type="constant" attribute="1.0"/>
      </condition>
   </buy>
   <buy name="Fishing_Village"/>
</player>
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.783 seconds with 21 queries.