Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Topsy-Turvy  (Read 1254 times)

sylas

• Bishop
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
Topsy-Turvy
« on: January 30, 2013, 06:01:03 pm »

Topsy-Turvy
Action - Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each other player immediately turns their deck into their discard pile and their discard pile into their deck.
You may choose to do the same.

i haven't put a cost on this one because i've no idea how useful it might be, or if it's just plain bad. i suppose it may be good if played after another player has recently bought a good card putting it on to a decent sized discard pile. using this card would essentially put that card to the bottom of their deck. or you could get quick access to the bottom card of your discard pile. better for those with good memory? i don't know. help needed on this one please.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: Topsy-Turvy
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:04:29 pm »

It feels like Chancellor. You need a "set aside" place if you are trying to swap the two, otherwise everyone is just putting their deck into their discard.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:20:50 pm »

Topsy-Turvy
Action - Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each other player immediately turns their deck into their discard pile and their discard pile into their deck.
You may choose to do the same.

i haven't put a cost on this one because i've no idea how useful it might be, or if it's just plain bad. i suppose it may be good if played after another player has recently bought a good card putting it on to a decent sized discard pile. using this card would essentially put that card to the bottom of their deck. or you could get quick access to the bottom card of your discard pile. better for those with good memory? i don't know. help needed on this one please.

In your example, you are letting your opponent have earlier access to that good card.  That trumps missing the reshuffle, especially since missing it means that he can get that card back when you play Topsy-Turvy again.

Moreover, it sounds like you mean for this to be a straight flip without shuffling.  This is bad because it means that players now must care about the order of their discard.  It will make clean-up phase take much longer.

But really, this isn't much of an attack at all.

sylas

• Bishop
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:55:46 pm »

good point. so no good as an attack card, but is it useful if you did it with only your own cards? (straight flip without shuffle)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 09:41:00 pm »
+1

I had a card that did it with your own deck. It sounds so innocent, but I seem to remember it being easy to basically have a deck that essentially hid away it's victory cards. But I can't remember for the life of me how that went, or why it happened.

Edit: Oh and you need to shuffle, or the time you lose from ordering discards will be insane. And you don't want it to be a cantrip, because playing multiple per turn will be unpleasant but I suspect sometimes optimal.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.684 seconds with 21 queries.