Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Event Deck  (Read 5213 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
Event Deck
« on: January 29, 2013, 07:37:49 pm »

Donald X said that intrigue originally had an Event Deck, which had some things that affected all players. I think it's a good idea.

THE EVENTS:

There's a deck of cards. If a card asks you to "resolve an event", then you reveal the top card of the event deck and resolve the text on it. After you've resolved it, put it on the bottom of the event deck.

Bring Out Your Dead!:
Each player may trash a card

Meeting!:
Each player draws a card

Silver Rush!:
Each player gains a Silver

Excavation!:
Each player may discard any number of cards from his hand. +1 card for each card he discarded this way.

Exhibit!:
Each player may look through his discard pile, and put a card from it on top of his deck.

Forecast!:
Each player looks at the top 5 cards of his deck, and either discards them all or puts them back.

Alms!:
Each player gains a copper, putting it in his hand.

Riots!:
Each player reveals the top 3 cards of his deck, discards the actions and treasures and puts the other cards back in any order

Inquisition!:
Each player may discard 2 cards from his hand. If he doesn't, he gains a Curse, putting it in his hand

Inspection!:
Each player puts a Victory or Curse card on top of his deck (or reveals a hand with no such cards).

The following cards can trigger events:

Town Crier:
Action - $5
+$3
Resolve an event

Scribe:
Action - $4
+2 Cards
Put an Event face down on your Scribe mat
---
In games using this, at the start of your turn, you may reveal and resolve an Event from your Scribe mat. You may look at the events on your mat at any time.

Master of Ceremonies:
Action/Duration - $6
Put your deck into your discard pile
Now and at the start of your next turn: Each player gains a Gold. Put yours in your hand.
---
While this is in play, when a player gains a Province, resolve an Event.

EDIT: Got rid of the coloured backs and rouser, got rid of the Witch and Knight events and added the Navigator and Scavenger events, and Scribe/MoC.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:51:41 pm by NoMoreFun »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Event Deck
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:08:09 pm »

Good idea, the main thing I can think of is that Alms is usually a bad event, not a good one.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:14:48 pm »

very interesting! only problem for me is that except for rouser the card is sometimes better for other players than the player who triggered the event.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:19:30 pm »

very interesting! only problem for me is that except for rouser the card is sometimes better for other players than the player who triggered the event.

When? It'd be edge cases since it always reveals a "bad" event and you aren't affected.

Good idea, the main thing I can think of is that Alms is usually a bad event, not a good one.

That's why it's optional to take the copper.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:33:41 pm »

nono, I meant that any card that triggers an event except for rouser is not necessarily good.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:53:49 pm »

That's why it's optional to take the copper.

It still will usually never do something.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 10:01:42 pm »

nono, I meant that any card that triggers an event except for rouser is not necessarily good.

That's largely the point. +$3 for 5 would be slightly overpowered, so adding the events help balance it a bit. Most of the positive events benefit the other players more than you, as they didn't use up their action to play them. I don't think any of them benefit you more than everyone else.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:12:13 pm »

Also maybe some in game milestones, such as gaining the first Province/Colony and the emptying of a pile could trigger events.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 02:36:30 am »

Rouser is kinda strong for $5.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 04:29:50 am »

I didn't expect the Inquisition.  ;D

Well, one bad event makes it a Torturer and another makes it a Rabble, both draw 3 cards.
If it's coupled with the Witch event (normally drawing 2 cards), it's a bit stronger, but the Bureaucrat-type event makes it a bit weaker.
Then there's the Sir Destry event which draws 2 for $5.

All in all it's probably $5.2 or something, but with the uncertainty it's probably good as $5.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:35:08 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 06:53:53 am »

I didn't expect the Inquisition.  ;D

Well, one bad event makes it a Torturer and another makes it a Rabble, both draw 3 cards.
If it's coupled with the Witch event (normally drawing 2 cards), it's a bit stronger, but the Bureaucrat-type event makes it a bit weaker.
Then there's the Sir Destry event which draws 2 for $5.

All in all it's probably $5.2 or something, but with the uncertainty it's probably good as $5.

The main thing about Torturer and Rabble is the fact that you can chain them. You can't chain these.
I tried to get one of each main attack type, but a militia style attack wouldn't really work for a "when gain" event, so I did a Torturer effect instead. It's slightly different from torturer in that if you don't have 2 cards to discard, you still get the curse. I wanted to make Witching Hour a ruins gain to give it comparatively the same strength as the other effects, but I didn't know where to put the "looter" type.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 04:26:37 am »

I've changed it up and added 2 cards.

With Scribe I wanted to explore things you have at any time other than Coin Tokens, and with MoC I wanted to explore the idea of a very powerful Duration that always misses the reshuffle.

Also after any names suggestions. This is part of a larger set I'm making.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 11:53:29 am »
+1

How is MoC an attack? It seems a bit weak, giving your opponent gold for free.

Scribe should specify what happens to the event card after resolving it. It sounds like it could stay on the mat where you can trigger it every turn...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:57:49 am by eHalcyon »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 09:50:01 pm »

I left the attack bit in. Before it was "gain a card costing up to $5. Put it in your hand", and if you chose curse it should be blockable.

The gold is a wash, so essentially the card is "Now and at the start of your next turn, +$3", which is ridiculously powerful, so the fact that it always misses the reshuffle is crucial to its own balance. The gold gain fattens up your deck a little bit, which means this card is less good for engines, where the fact that it misses its own reshuffle won't matter as much.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 12:01:42 am »

I left the attack bit in. Before it was "gain a card costing up to $5. Put it in your hand", and if you chose curse it should be blockable.

The gold is a wash, so essentially the card is "Now and at the start of your next turn, +$3", which is ridiculously powerful, so the fact that it always misses the reshuffle is crucial to its own balance. The gold gain fattens up your deck a little bit, which means this card is less good for engines, where the fact that it misses its own reshuffle won't matter as much.

Fair enough, but again -- you are giving your opponent Gold.  For free.  That isn't an attack.  Granted, sometimes it hurts the same way that Governor Silvers can gum up an engine, but it's still not an attack.  Do you mean to say that the previous version was an Attack and you just forgot to remove the Attack type after changing it?  So why not fix that now?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 03:24:35 am »

Fair enough, but again -- you are giving your opponent Gold.  For free.  That isn't an attack.  Granted, sometimes it hurts the same way that Governor Silvers can gum up an engine, but it's still not an attack.  Do you mean to say that the previous version was an Attack and you just forgot to remove the Attack type after changing it?  So why not fix that now?

Done

I wasn't too happy with the design and was trying to think of alternative effects, so I didn't get around to it as fast.
I'm designing an entire fan expansion, which will include my card "Barge" from the design contest, as well as one duration with the event triggering bottom. I can't decide which one I want to be the duration that always misses the reshuffle.

jbrecken

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 05:28:29 pm »

Donald X said that intrigue originally had an Event Deck, which had some things that affected all players. I think it's a good idea.

Scribe:
Action - $4
+2 Cards
Put an Event on your Scribe mat
---
In games using this, at the start of your turn, you may reveal and resolve an Event from your Scribe mat.

Does the player get to look at the Event card before deciding whether to reveal and resolve it, or does it move from the pile to the mat while remaining face down?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 07:30:36 pm »

Scribe:
Action - $4
+2 Cards
Put an Event on your Scribe mat
---
In games using this, at the start of your turn, you may reveal and resolve an Event from your Scribe mat.

Does the player get to look at the Event card before deciding whether to reveal and resolve it, or does it move from the pile to the mat while remaining face down?

The former, and you can look at the events on your mat any time, but other players can't see them. What's a good way to word this?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.22 seconds with 20 queries.