Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Outpost + Chapel  (Read 2208 times)

MainiacJoe

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Outpost + Chapel
« on: January 25, 2013, 11:36:30 am »
+1

Last night FTF I played a kingdom with Chapel and Outpost.  I discovered that with strong trashing Outpost helped me very quickly get an extremely high money density in my deck.  For about three turns in a row, once I'd Chapeled down to a small hand, I was getting two turns in a row buying Gold on the 5-card turn and Silver with my three-card turns.  This led to a straightforward BM win.

Did I get lucky?  Given strong trashing, does Outpost help BM, or is it not worth its opportunity cost?

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost + Chapel
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:17:09 pm »

So, firstly, Chapel-BM is not such a great strategy.

Usually, outpost is very good with strong trashing yes so I wouldn't say you get lucky, but where outpost definitely shines is in engine games, with things like Scrying pool, conspirator, tactician, menagerie, Fishing village + Library, grand market megaturns, etc...

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 12:28:42 pm »

So, firstly, Chapel-BM is not such a great strategy.

Usually, outpost is very good with strong trashing yes so I wouldn't say you get lucky, but where outpost definitely shines is in engine games, with things like Scrying pool, conspirator, tactician, menagerie, Fishing village + Library, grand market megaturns, etc...

Chapel BM is bad, but Chapel Outpost BM is like a LOT better, since you're adding back the money a lot faster. On the other hand, with Chapel and Outpost around, there's probably a good engine somewhere that's better than Chapel Outpost BM. But yeah, Outpost is good any time you have strong trashing and can spare a terminal action, because you will find something to do with 3-card hands.

MainiacJoe

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:17:57 pm »
+1

I had intended Chapel > Adventurer and Caravan.  I had an early 5, though, and tried Outpost on a lark.  I was pleasantly surprised and it expanded what I see in Outpost.  I'm a beginner and only play FTF so I'm learning slowly.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 01:19:59 pm »
+1

I had intended Chapel > Adventurer and Caravan.  I had an early 5, though, and tried Outpost on a lark.  I was pleasantly surprised and it expanded what I see in Outpost.  I'm a beginner and only play FTF so I'm learning slowly.

Ooh, Caravan is great with Outpost too. If you play a couple Caravans and then Outpost, your Outpost turn is a full-sized turn!

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 05:34:32 pm »

It's not much different than Chapel/1 Ironworks for Silver or Chapel/Explorer for comparision, at least the way you played it. And both are better, I guess, unless the faster cycling was a big matter. So, if these are good, then this may be good as well.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 08:14:57 pm »

Seems reasonable. I think in general, Outpost+Chapel is a combo. Usually if you've chapeled down, whatever you've chapeled down to can make good use of an outpost.

Lhurgoyf

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 12:23:40 am »

It's not much different than Chapel/1 Ironworks for Silver or Chapel/Explorer for comparision, at least the way you played it. And both are better, I guess, unless the faster cycling was a big matter. So, if these are good, then this may be good as well.

Neither Ironworks nor Explorer can gain you a Duchy, which could be likely with a Gold in your Outpost hand. Outpost works a bit like +buy but doesn't need big ($13) money hands in one hand, instead one normal and one small.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.727 seconds with 22 queries.