Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dark Ages Speculation Analysis  (Read 3331 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Dark Ages Speculation Analysis
« on: January 29, 2013, 12:07:25 pm »
+4

I was reading this: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2652.0 and it was fun to read all the speculation. Let's see who did correct guesses, or who was very close.

So, does that mean we can expect "Trash a card from your hand. Each other player gains a curse Ruin"? Or perhaps "Trash this card. Each other player gains a curse Ruin"?

There was no Attack that needs trashing as pre-requisite. But there is Cultist which has an effect when it gets trashed.

I don't know about Ruins, but I'm pretty sure Shelter will be a Victory card worth 0 VP.
Why? Other than it having the victory type, this would make it functionally equivalent to Confusion.
I'm going to guess it has some other functionality. Like, it has some drawback compared to estate, but protects you from ruins?

werothegreat was right: Overgrown Estate. WanderingWinder wasn't.

Ruins are probably just going to be the old Confusion idea, now that there are spare cards to print them, though probably with more bells and whistles, like other cards counting how many Ruins (or Shelters, for that matter) are in the trash. I'm almost sure there is going to something about Shelters in the trash, since why else would they have to be in your starting deck?

Correct guess, HME, at least the "Ruins similar to Confusion" idea, especiall Ruined Village.

I would imagine that there will be a card that can gain from the trash, and it could also be a card that could Upgrade itself (or is tied to such a card, a la Young Witch and its bane).  Upgrading would be "trash this, gain that (not in the supply)."  And then you could use a "gain from trash" to re-gain an upgradable card.  Maybe a card could upgrade into one of multiple things, so you would actually NEED to gain it from the trash in order to get more copies of something else.

A lot of correct guesses here. There is Graverobber and Rogue that can gain from the trash. Upgrading works like described, but with some requirements.

Really excited to see what shelters are as they can replace estates (they obviously dont have to because that would be a rules change, or maybe they have a prosperity rule attached to them or a young witch rule attached to them)

Yes. All 3 Shelters replace Estates and it's a Prosperity like rule.

I guess it also means a card that says:

Something - reaction
something something..
-----
If you trash this card, AWESOME EFFECT.

Correct Grujah. I think Squire, Feodum, Catacombs and Cultist have the most awesome effect.

I'd be unpleasantly surprised if a card allows for gaining cards from the trash pile.

I am ok with something akin to a phil stone that counts the trash pile or the number of different types of cards in the trash pile but I like the explicit what goes in the trash stays in the trash rule.

I'm interested to hear from PPS now if he thinks so. And Forager is the card he described in the second part.

One of the major problems with gaining from the trash is that usually, the trash has nothing of value, but this set apparently has a focus on "upgrading" and so will have, I bet, a lot of ways to trash cards, making the trash more usable.

Exactly. Rogue and Graverobber both can trash and get things out of it.

My prediction: There will be a card costing $1.
My prediction: There will not be a card costing $1.

play2draw has no upvotes. greatexpectations has 3 upvotes. That was funny to read and a bold and correct guess from play2draw.
And the following comments :D

I sure hope nothing costs $1!
I don't think there will be a $1
I can't think of any Action that would justify a $1 cost.

But then there was this comment:

Too many people assume $1 must be something extremely bad, worse than something costing $2. That doesn't really have to be the case. It could be something to reward extra buys (e.g. I had a card that cost $1 in a fan expansion which gave you an extra turn and skipped your cleanup phase when bought, and a few other things), to mess with upgrade effects, or various other possible reasons.

It could well be that Shelters are a $1 card, you know.

Two great comments. Poor House isn't bad, it rewards extra buys: Correct. And Shelters indeed cost $1. Correct.

Joe Childers (MainiacJoe) on BGG mentioned Baron, which is really good point. Assume Donald knew about Shelter's when he made Baron, I thought of several "solutions":

1. Baron is a bad card when playing with shelters instead of estates
2. Shelters are actually named "Estate Shelter" or "Estate - Shelter".
3. You get to choose whether to start with 3 Estates or 3 Shelters in your deck, both are in the supply :D

(I see to remember Shelters replace Estates in your starting deck" sometimes, it'd be quite cool if you got the choice)

It's indeed 1.)

Something is going to get reconsidered, probably trash for benefit cards (e.g. Bishop), mass trashers (e.g. Chapel), or upgraders (e.g. Remake).

Counterfeit, Count, Graverobber. So we have all of those.

There might not be a Curser in this game, what with Ruins and all.  Hard to say!

Another correct guess from eHalcyon.

I will guess that Ruins will be a medium-dark grey or a drab green.

I would call them more brown-ish.

Poorhouse
Cost: 4
+2 Actions
+1 Coin
Each other player discards a card and gains a copper, putting it into his hand

Or even get rid of the discard and make it cheaper. The complete opposite of stacking.
I predict (or maybe would just like to see?) something like:
Junk Dealer - Reaction
When an opponent trashes a card, you may reveal this and gain a silver (or a card costing up to X)

Just look at the proposed card names.  :o

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages Speculation Analysis
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:20:04 pm »

There was no Attack that needs trashing as pre-requisite. But there is Cultist which has an effect when it gets trashed.

Pillage?

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:55:48 pm »

Pillage?

Mercenary?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 01:06:52 pm »

I'm still impressed with myself that I correctly guessed the expansion stamp.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:46:15 pm »

Pillage?

Mercenary?

Typo. I meant "There was no Attack Junker that needs trashing as pre-requisite. But there is Cultist which has an effect when it gets trashed."

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:49:11 pm »

Pillage?

Mercenary?

Typo. I meant "There was no Attack Junker that needs trashing as pre-requisite. But there is Cultist which has an effect when it gets trashed."

Oh man, that would be pretty cool. Like Ambassador only cards go to the trash instead of back to the supply. Might even be more playable with 3+ players! NEW FAN CARD IDEA!
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 06:36:34 pm »

Oh wow, loving my prediction in there. Whoo $1 cards!
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.