Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]  All

Author Topic: 7 Wonders II (Age III card 6(ish)) - Spectator QT is still empty :(.  (Read 41449 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Wonders II (Age III card 6(ish)) - Spectator QT is still empty :(.
« Reply #575 on: February 22, 2013, 04:45:46 pm »

Yeah, I was too concerned.  It wasn't entirely unrealistic though.  I don't know how many points people are going to end with, and 65 is a heckuva lot.  Three complete sets were worth 57 to you.  Four complete sets would have been worth 88.  Don't forget that leader I gave you.

Also, there were some scenarios where you could have gotten more points by using your wonder to just heavily stack Tablets.  That would have been viable for you if I had given you School. :P

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 22, 2013, 04:58:49 pm »

Yeah, I was too concerned.  It wasn't entirely unrealistic though.  I don't know how many points people are going to end with, and 65 is a heckuva lot.  Three complete sets were worth 57 to you.  Four complete sets would have been worth 88.  Don't forget that leader I gave you.

Also, there were some scenarios where you could have gotten more points by using your wonder to just heavily stack Tablets.  That would have been viable for you if I had given you School. :P

I said 88! Read my post! ;)

And no, stacking Tablets was never really going to work. Assume I can get the 3 (one for each Age). Plus the 1 for my leader is 4. Now throw in the School. That puts me at 5. That's 25 points on Tablets. My Wonder would add a 6th, for 11 points. The first Compass was worth 11 points. And any I got after that went up and up. Even if I can hit the 6th there, AND get the Scientists Guild for a 7th, that puts me at 49 points total on Tablets. Compare that to 5 Tablets (25 points), and 2 Compasses (4 points) PLUS 2 complete sets (20 points) = 49 points.

Stacking Tablets was NEVER going to give me more than just plopping down Compasses was (It was exactly the same after 5 however. As 6 gave me +11 (same as 1 Compass), and 7 gave me +13 from there (same as a second Compass), and 8 gave me +15 from THERE (same as a third Compass) etc...)
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 22, 2013, 05:47:49 pm »

I think the Tablets scenario was for giving you School instead of Lab.  That leaves you one Gear less and also makes at least one Age III Gear impossible for you to get.  It meant that you were limited to 2 complete sets at most (you can buy 1 Gear and 2 Compasses but then your wonder can only add to one of them) so it would be more worthwhile to just make it a Tablet.

I don't remember now.  It was a tough choice at the time. :P

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 22, 2013, 06:01:51 pm »

It's hard to gauge just how much of a threat a science-builder can be. There have been many games where science racks up a lot of points, and that kind of memory doesn't just go away. I know when we bring out the game, we eye the science-builder warily and often work to deny them those cards--normally not to the detriment to ourselves, but I can't speak to the intent of the other players.

So, I'd say that concern about Galz was not wholly unwarranted. Maybe it was more than it should have been, but nobody wants to underestimate their neighbors.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 22, 2013, 06:04:49 pm »

I was actually most worried about Davio and Qvist the whole time, but they were too far away for me to do much about.

In the middle of Age III when I said I had predicted a winner, that winner was Davio.  I picked him because I knew he had good cards heading his way (Magistrates Guild in particular).

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 24, 2013, 01:06:32 pm »

I've found that if you focus single mindedly on science, you rarely win. A good case example was a game where me and a neighbour both did heavy science, both making three sets in age III. I also had a modest pile of money, and some military, and a few points elsewhere, while he had Aristotle (3 VPs per science set), but debt and loss tokens. Despite our similar primary focus, I won the game, and he came about 5th, because those extra points (or losses) really swing things around.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 24, 2013, 02:24:24 pm »

I wonder if it's useful to just go with 1 set for 10 VP but 3.3 VP per card just seems so low compared to the hard hitters of AIII. Even AII blues provide 3-5 VP and some black cards also give more.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 24, 2013, 02:27:10 pm »

You can make 1 set over ages I and II though. The age I ones also chain to a couple of useful cards.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]  All

Page created in 1.478 seconds with 19 queries.