Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Conflicting Kingdom  (Read 1787 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Conflicting Kingdom
« on: January 28, 2013, 02:26:33 pm »
+3

Apothecary, Baron, Chapel, Conspirator, Contraband, Library, Lookout, Native Village, Potion, Royal Seal, and Scrying Pool

Chapel is go-to - especially with Conspirators. But maybe Lookout is better as it's +1 Action? Or wait. There's Apothecary, so maybe you want to hold on to your coppers. So Chapel it is. But wait, your +buy is Baron, so maybe you want to keep your Estates? But Scrying Pool+Conspirator doesn't want the Estates or the Coppers. Hm... In any case I'm going to want to build an engine, so I might want more then one terminal buy. Contraband could work there, but it doesn't fit with either Apothecary or Scrying Pool. Maybe play multiple Barons? But then I need actions. Only actions are Native Village. And it works great for tucking things away with Apothecary. I guess that could work. Wait. Library? That works great with Native Village. It could even work with Conspirators. But not with Apothecary or Scrying Pool.

Hold on. Maybe it's some weird combination of all that? Is there a synergy I'm not seeing.

OK. I'll go Apothecary to pick up coppers, Scrying Pool to draw the actions Apothecary lines up, Conspirator to get extra cash (and get picked up by the Pools), Baron for extra buys, Native Village for the extra actions. Maybe a single Contraband (since he won't know what I'm picking up on any given turn - so many options).

OK. I'm set.

Now what do I open with? Baron? Potion? And what about my $3? Lookout? Chapel? Silver? Copper?

Really interesting game:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/28/game-20130128-111553-2294e28e.html

(We both ended up doing a similar strategy. I invested a little more in the engine with extra buys and ignoring Province until my second last turn - and it paid out. P1 advantage helped, but I don't think he could have got a province on his next turn anyway)

Fun one. If the Kingdom challenge was still open I would have submitted this baby for sure.

Ed

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: Conflicting Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:16:48 pm »

I think I would have opened potion lookout, and bought scrying pools over apoc.  save 1 estate for each baron, then lookout down to 16$ in baron/conspirator cash. for a bunch of double province turns

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 03:45:13 pm »
+1

Nah, I don't like the Potion/Native Village opening. I have to say it should be Potion/Chapel. Skip the Apothecaries... Scrying Pool/Conspirator does everything you want and more. Baron for +buy (either saving an Estate, or picking one back up with Baron when you are ready). And then, native Villages and additional Barons are fine.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 04:05:47 pm »

I would probably have played similar to Robz idea, although Apothecary+NV seems like a fine way to get rid of all the crap and you don't loose time picking up Lookout. And Apothecary+SP seems like it can draw your entire deck in no time, so you can use all the terminals in Barons, requiring less NVs in total and adding reliability.

I want to open Potion, but I definitely want Baron ASAP to get NV.

Final comment, I don't like Contraband, it will be in the way of your Conspirators. By the time you can get by with an additional treasure, you probably have enough for Gold anyway. I even think Royal Seal is a better idea to topdeck SP/NV/Conspirator every turn while building up, although with $5 I would probably just pick up Conspirator.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:14:35 pm »

Soul: I primarily picked up Contraband for the +buy before I had the ability to consistently get two Barons and 2 Estates in hand.

Rob: Pretty sure Chapel isn't the way to go. It's just too slow here. You lose about 2-3 turns and the $7 your initial coppers generate. You need to get 3.5 Conspirators to make up for the loss of coppers (I think we are all assuming that one way or another you are drawing your entire deck pretty consistently by your last couple of turns)

Jerk: Even in Scy-Pool dominating boards I will usually pick up a single Apothecary. It helps at the start of the game before you've killed all your coppers. And it even helps later by lining up your actions so your Pool can discard a green and then draw a long string. I think you definitely need one here even if you go Lookout (and maybe even if you go Chapel)

Ed

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 04:45:25 pm »

Soul: I primarily picked up Contraband for the +buy before I had the ability to consistently get two Barons and 2 Estates in hand.

Ok, I still have my doubts, I can see Baron missing the estate a couple of turns in midgame, when you don't quite yet have the large handsize but your estates are already spread out, but it seems to me it should be pretty ocassional. I would understand if you were missing actions, but I would get several NVs anyway, and just buy/gain additional estates if I happen to place too many on the NV mat. Also, having a fat NV mat seems like a good idea, with the high chance of 3-pile endings.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 05:28:26 pm »

I would totally buy 1 apoc first before scrying pools, but I prefer 5 pools/ 1 apoc and trashing coppers over what you did.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:33:40 pm »

Library engine?

What about Chapel/Baron (Chapeling only Coppers; maybe one Estate) then going for a couple Barons and a Native Village/Library engine supplemented with Conspirators? 6 Provinces by turn 15, then it stalls out....

CopperrCopper

• Scout
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 12:42:06 pm »

If you're not going chapel, I like apothecary over SP here. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.718 seconds with 20 queries.