Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [WIP] The five engine components  (Read 6690 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
[WIP] The five engine components
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:32:45 pm »
+7

This is my first attempt at writing an article on the site. It’s likely to be a little vague in some places, perhaps give advice that better players would disagree with and maybe over/underfocus on some areas. In fact, most of the concepts I kinda thought through myself, and in particular I might use some non-standard terminology. Any feedback will of course be appreciated.
Don’t expect anything ground-shattering from the article, but hopefully, it would be a useful read for someone in the level 10-25 skill range. That’s primarily where I’m aiming, I guess.
As of posting, I’ve completed 2 of 5 sections. I will complete the last three if/when I can, but I wanted to get some feedback now.

Your engine is finally picking up steam. You’ve played your Native Villages, your Rabbles are slowing the opponent down, and you’re drawing into your golds. You play them down, and count up your money. $12... $15... $17 to spend! That’s two Provinces, right there, you tell your opponent.
“Uh, wait.” he says, looking at you, “You don’t have any extra buys.” And he’s right. And there isn’t even any on the board. You die a little inside, as you realise your engine will never work the way you’d hoped it to.

If you’ve been playing Dominion long enough, then chances are you’ve been careless enough to walk into a situation like the one above at least once, building the perfect engine, but failing to notice a key component was missing. In this article, I’ll be going through what I think are the five key components to a perfect engine, and also talking about what you can do when one or multiple of those components are missing.

The five components

At it’s most simple, there are five key things an engine wants. These are:
  • Card draw - the ability to increase your handsize and draw more cards from your deck.
  • Extra actions - the ability to play more terminals, or play your terminals more times.
  • Extra buys/gains - the ability to buy/gain more than one card per turn.
  • Trashing/sifting - being able to see your good cards more and your bad cards less.
  • Payload - sort of a catch-all for cards producing money, as well as strong end effects and attacks.

Note: Payload is my own terminology here. I dunno if there’s a more standard name to it, but I’ve never really seen anything. I think I caught Stef calling it payload once (while halfway through this article actually, so that’ll do for me.

Some of these are more crucial than others and many cards cover (to some degree) multiple categories at once. The really exciting part of engine building though, is when at least one of these parts is missing, or weak. Sometimes in those cases, the correct choice is to not build the engine. Often though, the correct choice is to build it different...

Card draw

Card draw (which for the sake of this article, is referring primarily to cards giving +2 cards or more) is probably the most iconic feature of engines, drawing through masses of your deck every turn. Good drawing is so important to engines, as it’s the easiest way to play multiple strong cards in a turn, something that most engines want to do. Very often, it’s combined with extra actions in the ‘village/smithy’ combo of, get extra actions, use them to draw big, repeat. But there’s a few different kinds of extra drawing and how you play your engine can vary depending on what you have.

Terminal draw
This is the simplest kind of drawing, and the paragon example is Smithy, who gives +3 cards and no extra actions. In short, these will increase your handsize, but will not give you extra actions. To use these effectively in an engine, you will need extra actions, else you’ll be playing something more like Big Money. The basic plan is the ‘Village/Smithy’ combo mentioned above - play cards giving +actions, play your terminal +X cards to draw into bigger hand sizes, repeat.
Good examples of these cards are: Smithy, Rabble, Margrave (also +buy), Catacombs (also sifting), Torturer), Hunting Grounds, Embassy (also sifting) and others.

Non-terminal +X cards
This drawing has one key difference from terminal draw, and that’s the presence of +1 action (or more) on the card. Probably the simplest example is Laboratory, giving +2 cards and +1 action. These are much simpler to use in an engine - you play, them you draw more cards, you play some more. Unfortunately, there’s two big downsides to them. Firstly, they’re relatively expensive compared to their non-terminal counterparts - a Village and Smithy gives the same net effect as two Laboratories, but costs $7 compared to the Labs $10, for example. They’re more reliable, but you pay more for that reliability. Secondly, they often have conditions on activating. Wishing Well requires you to guess your next card correctly. Menagerie requries some careful hand management (or luck) to have no duplicates in hand. Crossroads requires victory cards in hand, and the list goes on. Using these as your source of draw will often be worse in the ‘perfect’ engine than non-terminal draw, but may be more important in kingdoms with no (or limited) +action, or when non-terminal draw isn’t available. Fortunately, they don’t conflict with a terminal drawing engine - just as long as you’re playing villages as well - so you can take both types without worrying.
Other notable non-terminal draws include Scrying Pool and Hunting Party.

’Draw up to’ X
The third kind of drawing, and probably the hardest to use effectively in an engine. The most famous example is probably Library from the base game. These cards, rather than letting you draw a huge hand and then play it out, draw you up to a reasonable hand, which you probably want to do something with before drawing up again. Festival/Library is probably the most notable draw up to X engine, where you play a bunch of Festivals, play a Library, then play more Festivals and repeat. As all (current) draw up to X cards are terminal, this engine needs some source of extra actions. Typically, these engines look to play their payload repeatedly throughout drawing, such as non-drawing terminals or disappearing non-terminals (cards with + action but no +card). One issue with draw up to X type cards is that they don’t work so well with other drawing. If you play two Labs, then Library will only draw you one card - hardly worth caring about.
Examples of draw up to X cards are: Library, Watchtower, Jack of all Trades (which also trashes, but is dubious to use as your drawing!).

When there isn’t drawing
Often, there are good engine components on a board, but just a lack of +cards to go with it. In that case, is the engine doomed? Sometimes, but not always.
Firstly, cantrips can be strung together to give often powerful effects. If there’s no +cards (or only weak +cards) then the viability of an engine will likely depend on the effectiveness of the boards cantrips - which probably means, look for good $5 cantrips such as Highway, Market and their kin, but also for cards like Conspirator and perhaps Mystic. Secondly, is there any potential way to use cards like King’s court to draw extra cards? You should usually not consider this a major source of extra cards when determining the viability of an engine, but it can draw you up to a large hand - a hand of two King’s Courts and three Highways will draw you up to 9 cards.
When drawing lacks but you want to build an engine, often you will desperately want good trashing, and get your payload from the engine itself. You want as few cards to get hung up on as possible, which makes greening difficult, so ideally you probably want to megaturn, if possible, or have good sifting, or score VP tokens, or generally have some plan for your greening phase. But this does mean, without good drawing, engines can be extremely hard to play correctly. Plan accordingly.

Extra actions

Fortunately, Extra actions are a little simpler than card draw, as there are very few kinds of them. In short, extra actions is any card which can increase the number of terminal actions you can play in a turn. ‘Village’ type cards are most common, but there’s also the special case of Throne Room and Golem type cards, which can also serve as psuedo-villages.

Villages
So having said villages are the most simple type, let’s move straight onto them. A card is typically considered a village if it gives +2 actions. Unsurprisingly, the card Village itself is the typical example. There’s not a lot to be said about villages, they’re easy enough to use in your engine. Probably the only tricky question is, when and how many? If you’re drawing your deck, the answer to how many is likely, at least enough to play all your terminals, and perhaps one or two more. When is trickier - usually not on your first shuffle (but some villages you would), but soon rather than later.
One thing that can affect your engine is the choice of village. Each has a slightly different effect, different costs and these can cause small or big changes to your engine. For example, Worker’s Village at $4 isn’t prohibitively expensive, but is slightly more than a vanilla village. However it does provide you with +buy, which is a big advantage in terms of getting your engine set up. Or Bazzar, at $5, can conflict with buying other engine components, so you’d ideally want some cheaper components you could buy on the board so you don’t have to decide between Bazzar and a payload/drawing $5 constantly.
There are lots and lots of notable villages. Worker’s Village (+buy) and Hamlet (+buy but discarding) are good for engines, providing +buy. Native Village and Fishing Village can work very well with draw up to cards, due to not providing +card. In fact Fishing Village is extremely effective itself, giving +action on TWO turns, not just one. Border Village lets you grab a village and a $5 component together and makes for a ripe trash for benefit target as well. I could list more, but I’ll stop here.

Nonstandard Villages
This covers two categories. The first is the Throne Room, King’s Court, Procession and Golem line of extra actions. These are all radically different cards, but the basic principle is, you can get extra actions by playing more than one card with +action. With all but Golem, you can even just chain these cards themselves, then play loads of terminals at once multiple times each.
On their own, these are probably not viable as your source of village - it’s too slow to set up a lot of the time. However with other villages, or a non-terminal based deck, they can really shine, multiplying your actions and beginning to do crazy things.
The second category here is Crossroads. This little $2 provides you with +3 actions, but only once. It’s hard to build a good engine when you’re limited to 3 terminals - it will often (but not always) be worse than just playing more straight money. The key thing is that you should be very careful with your choices of terminals. Crossroads of course can also fit into a normal engine on it’s own along with other villages, and it works as a strong draw card as well if you have lots of green cards in your deck.

When there isn’t extra actions
Now we’re getting to the interesting part. Can you build an engine when you don’t have a source of +actions? I’ve already implied you can, so what should you be doing? The first thing is cantrips and non-terminal draw. If there’s trashing, Scrying Pool could be extremely potent, drawing most of your deck in a single play. Normally you’ll be looking at something like Laboratory, though. Without +actions, your drawing might well be weaker. That means that you’ll probably not cycle your entire deck every turn, which is worth noting.
Without extra actions, you can only play one terminal per turn. You’d want that to be a good one, of course - attacks and other strong single effects work best. Drawing is usually bad, as you’ll likely be drawing lots of actions dead.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] The five engine components
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:47:10 pm »

Re: Payload - I've definitely called that stuff payload before. I must have picked it up from somewhere on this site, I doubt I came up with it myself. So that terminology is rare but I think accepted?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:49:19 pm »

I called it payload in an article a little bit ago, before Stef's recent use of it, but I think I picked it up from an early blog article predating the forum by theory. Dunno if that was the origin or not, but it goes back probably nearly as far as the 'engine' terminology

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 08:50:42 pm »

For non-terminal draw, you may want to include City.

Another card which is probably worth mentioning in the draw section is Minion.  It doesn't really fit into your categories of draw, but it definitely fulfills the role of draw in many engines.  It let's you play a lot of cards, but it isn't good at getting large hands for pairing cards together.
Well you *do* need a signature...

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 09:05:06 pm »

Yeah, this payload thing is interesting cause the dictionary gives me a weird translation (or, I guess, its meaning here is somewhat different from its original meaning. Is it just action cards that give +X$? So anything from festival over militia to squire are payload cards/cards that provide payload (even not sure how to phrase this correctly  ???)?

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:36:25 pm »
+1

Well, in my mind the payload is whatever you're trying to get your engine to draw. Like, if you have a village-smithy engine, that's all well and good, but presumably you're playing your villages and smithies to consistently draw [something in particular] because the villages and smithies don't do anything for you by themselves. What you're trying to get them to draw is the payload.  Most commonly would be a source of money, +buy, and an attack, but could be something weird like a remodel and an explorer and a province.

Lots of engines don't really have a clear "payload" which is separate from the "engine", but some do.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:02:59 pm »

I am having a hard time explaining how the Dominion concept of payload matches up with what the word means in English, but it makes sense :/ ...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 10:09:00 pm »
+1

Well, one use of payload in English is in rocketry.  The United States and the Soviet Union each developed powerful rockets and missiles.  These rockets carried something.  The payload would be anything from a commercial satellite to a nuclear warhead.

In dominion terms, the engine you build up is like the rocket.  But using a stack of Smithies and Villages just to draw seven Coppers is liking just launching empty rockets into space.  The payload is something like Mountebank, Monument, or Horn of Plenty.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 10:42:15 pm »

I use "payload" for stuff like cards with a when-gain ability. Border Village has a payload, the card you gain with it; then it's just a Village.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 12:04:21 am »
+1

This seems to be a great start.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 12:33:16 am »
+3

Another card which is probably worth mentioning in the draw section is Minion.  It doesn't really fit into your categories of draw, but it definitely fulfills the role of draw in many engines.  It let's you play a lot of cards, but it isn't good at getting large hands for pairing cards together.

Minion actually fits best in the "draw up to x" category.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 01:01:28 am »
+1

When talked about this previously I put out 7 card types:
1. Accelerants - stuff that moves your deck faster. This can be cycling, draw, sifting or trashing - to some degree each of these is interchangeable.
2. Payout - stuff that provides value gain - coin, gainers, TfB, etc.
3. Payload - stuff that provides VP (chip cards, VP cards)
4. Action balance - stuff that lets you play more terminals.
5. Multiplicity - stuff that lets you acquire more than one card per turn.
6. Time buys - stuff that slows down your opponent
7. VP denial - stuff that removes VP from your opponent

Breaking out sifting and draw isn't all that useful, I find. Can't draw? Well who cares if I can trash & cantrip? Likewise, sifting to always hit my Highway stack also makes draw less useful. To some degree, all you really want out of any of these mechanisms is to see your more power cards more quickly. Yeah there are some cases where draw also provides payout (e.g. Lab/Bank), but this is fairly limited. The bigger thing is that each of these ways is in competition with the others. Trashing down is all well and good ... but then you need a lot fewer Council rooms to make a killer stack. Likewise, Chapel plays poorly with Warehouse (usually) so sifting and trashing tend to not do so well. Sifting has some synergy with draw, letting you utilize the crap you draw to get better stuff, but engines can quickly reach the point where they have overdraw and raw sifting drops quickly in value.

Likewise, breaking out stuff that buys you time, stuff that destroys opponent VP, and stuff that lets you gain VP is very helpful. Yeah if I buy Torturers, I really, really want to play those every turn and Torturing is likely the most important effect in the deck ... however a lot of stuff like Militia, Spy, etc. is more there because it provides a decent tradeoff between coin cost, action cost, and the additional turns I gain to finally use my engine for VP gain. Particularly when you are looking at the question of "Should I build this engine at all?", you need to have a good idea of how much time you will have to do it and sizing that up is often fairly independent of how you pay for components/VP; but horridly dependent on deck slowing. Other things, like Possession and Embargo aren't attacks but can also drastically change the time it takes for game progression to occur.

VP denial too often actually speeds up game end - Swindler can go duchy hunting, but is often forced to bring 3-pile closer. Sab can hunt provinces, but will make a 3-pile quicker with duchy and estates running down.

I highly recommend breaking up payload and combing sifting/trashing/drawing. Think about what you want your engine to do and then look at what function each cards serve; Cartographers and Stables serve fairly similar purposes, Ghost ships and golds do not.

Some terminology thoughts:

Payload, in the aerospace sense, is the stuff that doesn't help the engine move but is the purpose for building the engine in the first place. I suspect folks are going off the military idea of payload being the warheads, but "payload" more closely corresponds to the actual VP; cash is the fuel for engine building.

Rather than say draw to X, I think "limited draw" is a better phrase. This includes things that play VERY similarly like Minion and Menage - you have limitations on what you can draw and non-terminal +coin is highly valuable.

Random thoughts:

Playing with Crossroads (or just Necropolis) can make a fine engine. Most often you base your engine off non-terminal draw or heavy trashing. Something like Stables/Xroads can support 3 strong terminals; e.g. Ghost Ship/Mountebank/Baron and be a very effective engine. A few gambits require that you use multiple actions, but are exceptionally strong when you use them. For instance dropping Quarries into play using Black market and using Iw to nab Grand Markets, Labs, etc. is really strong, but does require a some additional action balance. Also, you can combine atypical action balance and use Golem/Crossroads to hit 6 terminal actions, even if 3 of them are Xroads, that still can be very respectable.

Another big point for when to play engine without action balance is treasure affects. Loan can let you trash and doesn't take up an action. Counterfeit gives a +buy as does Contraband does but you need to have multiple choices of what you want to not get burnt (e.g. Province & Fairgrounds can let you always buy 6 VP green cards). Venture can let you draw & cycle (e.g. you leave green on deck top with Apothecary, run through it with Venture). Ill-gotten-gains can slow the game down (though you normally need some way to slow down the rush option or if you want to go engine building). Cache and Igg can both gain cards if you need more fodder for some TfB (e.g Forager). Quarry and Talisman can both let you ramp up an action starved engine much quicker.

Alt-VP is a biggee for engines. If you can't slow the other guy down, having some more true "Payload" in the kingdom is a huge boost for engine play. You really need to include the potential to beat a 3:5 or even 2:6 province split as part of your engine strategy. Yeah, sometimes you can megaturn and tank up on 6 or 7 duchies, but a lot of would be engine builders lose because they drop 5 provinces before their engine can cross the 50% of the VP line. In most cases, I'd rather see engine friendly Alt-VP (i.e. not Gardens or Feoda, though these can still work) than a lot of other "key things". No +buy? Whatever, I can get Fairgrounds up to 8 and run with it. No draw? Whatever, I'll buy an Island & Prov each turn keep the engine humming. No action balance? Meh, I'll just Altar up 2 duchies a turn and power my dukes over your Smithy/Province dreams.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 03:24:10 am »
+4

(Yay, more off-topic payload discussion)

When I use the term, I mean something that gives the engine its kick. It's a very broad definition. On one board, it could just be a ton of money for multiple double-Province or double-Colony turns. On another, it could be a combination on devastating attacks. On yet another, it could be a megaturn.

So this kind of ties into jomini's definition: I don't consider the payload to be the actual Victory points, but rather, it's how your engine is going to beat your opponent's deck. So obviously at some point it has to deal with Victory points.

(Or, it could also mean, "what would I play with my King's Court?")
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 03:30:19 am by dondon151 »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 03:44:32 am »

When I use the term, I mean something that gives the engine its kick. It's a very broad definition. On one board, it could just be a ton of money for multiple double-Province or double-Colony turns. On another, it could be a combination on devastating attacks. On yet another, it could be a megaturn.

So this kind of ties into jomini's definition: I don't consider the payload to be the actual Victory points, but rather, it's how your engine is going to beat your opponent's deck. So obviously at some point it has to deal with Victory points.

I agree with this sentiment, heck even Saboteur could be payload. :)

Basically you have to ask yourself when you're building an engine: What I am trying to do? How am I going to win?
Most of the time your deck evolves around one or two very powerful cards with a lot of helper cards.
These will typically be attack cards or cards with +Buy/gain.

Still I don't think the term matters much. If you have 7 Minions they could all be considered payload.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 03:59:50 am »

I totally agree. For me the payload is whatever ultimately allows the engine to come out ahead. This usually comes down to how you are going to afford victory cards or gain VP chips or vice versa deny victory points from your opponent.

For example in a Conspirator chain it's the Conspirators that generate loads of money.
In a megaturn engine it might be the Bridges or maybe HoPs.
Monument could be the payload if you're winning with loads of VP chips.
Vault in a double Tactician deck.
Or a reliable Ghost Ship every turn to deny your opponent victory points.
Or multiple Saboteurs played every turn to destroy your opponent's deck.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 08:48:07 am »

Okay, when I saw 14 replies and 4 likes I was pretty excited, and there's some really good comments in here, but a little more disussion about terminology than I would have liked :P. I'll stick to using payload for now, but might switch to something else if I can find something that comfortably encompasses 'money and cards that you want to play a lot like attacks'.

I'm also thinking of culling some information out and adding a little in (Minion definitely needs a mention!). This is intended to be primarily an overview of engine components, not a detailed guide to every engine ever, and I feel like I've tried to go down that route in a few places.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 08:58:55 am »

Minion actually fits best in the "draw up to x" category.

Maybe that's the best fit, but it's not quite accurate either.  "Draw up to X" engines generally rely on some way of getting back down below X, which isn't always feasible.  Minion has this built in, but it's also a forced discard so you can't hold onto a good card until the time is right.  I really don't think Minion fits well into the "Draw up to X" box.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 09:44:43 am »
+2

I altered WW's article on engines a little bit because of this "payload" point.

To me, an engine is any deck that focuses on playing certain cards a lot.  (It doesn't always have to involve big card draw -- see, e.g., Minion -- but it basically does, else how do you get all those Actions to play?)  These cards are usually Actions (but are sometimes Treasures, e.g. HoP engines).  Those cards that you try to play a lot -- that's your payload. 

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 09:48:48 am »

I altered WW's article on engines a little bit because of this "payload" point.

To me, an engine is any deck that focuses on playing certain cards a lot.  (It doesn't always have to involve big card draw -- see, e.g., Minion -- but it basically does, else how do you get all those Actions to play?)  These cards are usually Actions (but are sometimes Treasures, e.g. HoP engines).  Those cards that you try to play a lot -- that's your payload. 

You've pretty much summed up what my thoughts on it are.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 12:21:01 pm »
+1

A comment about payload, but it also relates to draw, so hopefully this is useful.

I think of "payload" in two separate senses, both of which have been touched on here. When I'm thinking about how to build my engine, certain cards "get in my way" of drawing enough of my deck for the engine to be worth building. I need a plan for how to mitigate that.

Are my starting coppers getting in my way? Trash them or sift them out. Are these cards things I need to make my engine go? Well then I better have a plan to draw them. Am I going to have to play some turns after I've already started to green? Well either I have a plan to deal with that or I'm going to stall hard. Is it OK for me to stall? During the phase of my turn when I'm playing cards in order to make my hand awesome, these "payload" cards are the ones that get in the way -- that don't help my turn to progress further.

Examples are treasures and green cards, but also some power terminals like Bridge and Goons, and even Horn of Plenty fits here.

This is the part that might tie into your draw section, particularly the "do I have to draw?" question.

The second "payload" I think of answers the question "What does my engine do once I've played my turn?" After I'm done drawing, what do I have to show for it? Is it $8 that will always be there no matter how many green cards I buy? Is it six Horns of Plenty with seven differently named cards in play? Is it four Goons? seven Bridges? Is it a bunch of treasure and (hopefully) some extra buys? Or is it a Militia and a (kinged) Masquerade? Two or three Ambassador or Saboteur or Possession (or Monument, or Bishop) plays?

The interesting question here is "does the payload justify the time I took to build this engine?" If the only village on the board is Crossroads, I'll never play more than three Bridges in one turn. If there is no way increase handsize, I'll never play more than five Goons in one turn.

It's no coincidence that a lot of the cards mentioned in each of these definitions are the same. I can't wait to hear your take on how to actually use all the crap I just spewed out.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:50:09 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 09:28:26 am »

I think the most succinct way of describing payload is:  I just drew my entire deck and have a plethora of spare actions, now which card am I going to apply my King's Court to?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 09:58:54 am »

I think the most succinct way of describing payload is:  I just drew my entire deck and have a plethora of spare actions, now which card am I going to apply my King's Court to?
I disagree. Militia may be the most important card to play, but you aren't going to king it very often because the ancillary benefit is unstackable.

I think a better question is 'You've just drawn your whole deck. What are you going to do with it now?"

Ergo, we might also call 'payload' 'Disney World'.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 10:07:44 am »

Yeah, but often the answer to "what are you going to do with it now" is just "I'm going to play all the cards".  That's why I used the King's Court example, since it generally picks out the most important card.  But obviously a single sentence is going to have exceptions.  Another big exception is when your payload is, say, Bank.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 10:24:34 am »
+2

I like to think of it as "I just drew my entire deck. Why did I spend all that time setting this up?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.009 seconds with 21 queries.