Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Silly mistakes you always make  (Read 11871 times)

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
Re: Silly mistakes you always make
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 12:38:21 am »
+2

When playing in veto mode and you don't veto last, planning your strategy and then blindly going for it before realizing that a key component has been vetoed.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 12:48:18 am »

Building a great engine and realizing that Possession was on the board the hard way.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 05:25:30 am »
+8

Trashing my potion because I already have all the Alchemists I need.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 07:01:56 am »

I don't know if they qualify as silly, I certainly feel silly when I do it, but I overtrash and overbuild A LOT.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 09:55:22 am »
+3

yesterday i played a fun game with fishing village, duchess, duke, and caravan. we both went for duchies early, and took the free duchesses (something I would do even without fishing village but which I think is undebate-ably the right move with fishing villages).

many times in the game i'd have loads of extra actions (from having played fishing villages the turn before) and blindly play my caravans, when I could instead have used duchess to check if i was drawing a bad card or not. the most frustrating part was that I did this at least twice even after realizing that I was making a mistake.

basically, the top four reasons i will never be a top ten dominion player:
1. playing on autopilot like this
2. trying to make fun but bad cards work
3. ragequitting when there's a 20% chance of winning
4. obi wan bonogi

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 10:48:05 am »
+1

I sometimes forget about the option to Farmland + Gold=>Province and just buy a Province with all my treasure.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 12:34:24 pm »

I always try to find a n edge case to make scout work ;)

*Switching to serious mode* Maybe try to build an engine when theres no engine possible ( in most cases because of lack of draw in my case)
And yes the farmland example, i just forget it all the times to use it in lategame

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 12:38:14 pm »
+1

Today I played a Followers (which I passed to myself via Possession/Masquerade, but that's another story) after playing 4 Council Rooms and a Possession. Also, the Curses were gone and I'd drawn my whole deck, so I wasted it all for a measly Estate.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 12:55:39 pm »

I sometimes forget about the option to Farmland + Gold=>Province and just buy a Province with all my treasure.

Unless that is definetely your last shuffle, buying Province is better than Farmlanding a Gold.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 01:06:30 pm »

Unless that is definetely your last shuffle, buying Province is better than Farmlanding a Gold.

Unless you have no need for the Gold and/or you REALLY need the extra 2VP in a tight race.

But yeah, buying Province is usually better.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 01:11:22 pm »

Unless you have no need for the Gold and/or you REALLY need the extra 2VP in a tight race.

That's what I thought, but when I made a similar comment, it was debated... http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5159.msg123995#msg123995
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 02:29:42 pm »
+1

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 02:35:04 pm »
+1

yesterday i played a fun game with fishing village, duchess, duke, and caravan. we both went for duchies early, and took the free duchesses (something I would do even without fishing village but which I think is undebate-ably the right move with fishing villages).

many times in the game i'd have loads of extra actions (from having played fishing villages the turn before) and blindly play my caravans, when I could instead have used duchess to check if i was drawing a bad card or not. the most frustrating part was that I did this at least twice even after realizing that I was making a mistake.

4. obi wan bonogi

Assuming you weren't drawing your deck... Duchess only helps when the top card of your deck is bad, right? The odds of the top card of your deck being bad is the same as the odds of the second-to-top card of your deck being bad. So as many times as you drew a bad card because you played Caravan before playing Duchess, you also saved yourself from drawing a bad card for your next hand by playing Caravan before Duchess...

Granted, cards now are generally going to be worth a bit more than cards next turn, but as a whole, it doesn't seem horrible to play your Duchess second; so long as you still play it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 03:57:12 pm »

4. obi wan bonogi

Assuming you weren't drawing your deck... Duchess only helps when the top card of your deck is bad, right? The odds of the top card of your deck being bad is the same as the odds of the second-to-top card of your deck being bad. So as many times as you drew a bad card because you played Caravan before playing Duchess, you also saved yourself from drawing a bad card for your next hand by playing Caravan before Duchess...

Granted, cards now are generally going to be worth a bit more than cards next turn, but as a whole, it doesn't seem horrible to play your Duchess second; so long as you still play it.

Good point. I forgot to consider the next turn. I do think from an information-standpoint it's still best to play duchess first (e.g. the copper I'm about to draw could be the fifth copper I need for a Duke; on the other hand the copper I am saving for next turn is probably good but might be bad if it's preventing me from drawing a silver). But it's less of a mistake than I was saying.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 08:47:03 am »
+1

I have a bigger problem with Scavenger/Salvager.

Courtyard/Crossroads for me.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 09:31:16 am »

I always buy the first Province/Colony if I can afford it, even when it contradicts my strategy.

Also I confuse Expand and Forge.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:32:26 am by NoMoreFun »

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 11:18:08 am »

I'm still having a problem remembering that Mercenary draws when you trash, and I always use my last action on it rather than playing it earlier, when I have spare actions.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 06:18:12 pm »

Depends on what you mean by "usually". You buy the Farmland when you'd rather have Farmland than Gold, which is potentially a lot of the time in the late game. It's pretty similar to the question of Harem vs Gold. Farmland is a little worse than Harem since you can't spend the virtual $2 on anything but Provinces, but it's still better than Gold a lot of the time.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2013, 06:25:34 pm »

Depends on what you mean by "usually". You buy the Farmland when you'd rather have Farmland than Gold, which is potentially a lot of the time in the late game. It's pretty similar to the question of Harem vs Gold. Farmland is a little worse than Harem since you can't spend the virtual $2 on anything but Provinces, but it's still better than Gold a lot of the time.

But when would you rather have Farmland than Gold.  As per the earlier conversation, I think the main reasons would be if you won't see that card again and if the race is particularly tight and the 2VP is important.

What other reasons are there?

Silk Road, Fairgrounds?  Market Square to gain a replacement Gold?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2013, 06:47:40 pm »

But when would you rather have Farmland than Gold.  As per the earlier conversation, I think the main reasons would be if you won't see that card again and if the race is particularly tight and the 2VP is important.

What other reasons are there?

Silk Road, Fairgrounds?  Market Square to gain a replacement Gold?

Basically what you said: you won't see it again multiple times, and you want the 2 VP. And also things that like VP cards, like Crossroads. But really, any time you have some consistency in your deck, if you're hitting $9 including a Gold, it might as well be a Farmland.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 01:33:10 am »

(dumb post, please ignore)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:57:59 am by Piemaster »

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 02:01:19 am »

One stupid thing I sometimes do is to play Conspirators before my other 'activating' actions, especially when I have plenty of them (like in double Tact. decks).

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 02:12:57 am »

I don't think your cases are quite right, piemaster. You mis-analyzed your case 3. If the gold is on top, then playing both duchess first and caravan first will give you $8 in hand, with the difference being whether the the estate gets discarded or not.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 02:56:58 am »

Hmmm, you're right, ignore my post.  That's what I get for trying to make an analytical post at 6am

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 05:47:51 pm »
+1

Buying Estate with $3 or $4 in the very late game when Tunnel is on the board.  Buying Duchy with $6 when Fairgrounds is on the board (and would be worth 4 VP for me).
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.