Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Laurel Wreath: A trashing treasure for slog decks?  (Read 1215 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
Laurel Wreath: A trashing treasure for slog decks?
« on: January 24, 2013, 07:47:57 am »

Laurel Wreath
Treasure-Reaction
$4
Discard up to 4 cards. +$1 for each card you discard this way.
---
When you discard a card from your hand other than during clean up, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, either trash that card, or put it on top of your deck.

Note that the card has to be in your hand for you to reveal it, and when you discard more than one card at once they are discarded simultaneously. This means that you can't trash your hand when you play a Minion.

I think similar ideas have been thrown around, but I think the two contradictory ideas work together to limit the swinginess of either effect. The top half is good in bad decks, but the bottom half helps improve your deck if you have an enabling card (many of which exist). It can combo with sifters to really trash a lot of cards, but then you'll end up with 2 mostly dead cards (this and the sifter). The discard has to be from hand or else things like Golem can be used to trash or rearrange your whole deck.

EDIT: Changed it so it isn't uber powerful to get many copies in big drawing engines. It also self synergises now, which is cool.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:18:02 pm by NoMoreFun »

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
Re: Laurel Wreath: A trashing treasure for slog decks?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 07:57:05 am »

If you want it to be a treasure for slogs, there should be "limit $4". Now it is a treasure for strong draw engines, which should be able to finance a double Province purchase off this card alone.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:11:21 am »

Once you can draw your whole deck it's as good as gold, but it's far worse than most cards to get you there (unless you can trash your starting estates, but then this card's even worse and needs momentum to build).

I suppose I could change it to "Discard up to 4 cards. $1 for each discarded card", and that would help it self synergise.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:44:35 am »

What is "it"? Is it this card, or the card that was being discarded?
I assume it the discarded card, but that wasn't my first thought upon reading the card.

So, basically, this is a treasure secret chamber scheme trash card. Seems reasonably priced, but I don't think it's helpful for slogs so much. You should maybe remove the trashing to make it good for slogs. Or maybe you want it to be just okay for slogs, so it's fine. I like it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:20:09 pm »

The idea is that it's a good treasure for slogs, filling a similar niche to poor house and secret chamber, but it can also be a Trasher. I built it around the reaction, but I wanted the card's top ability to be somewhat counterintuitive to the reaction as to keep it in check.

I mean, a card that's "choose one; Chapel or Secret Chamber" probably wouldn't be much more powerful than either of the 2 cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.553 seconds with 20 queries.