Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Who Says My Girls Ain't Got Game? (Duchess x 6)  (Read 1370 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Who Says My Girls Ain't Got Game? (Duchess x 6)
« on: January 23, 2013, 06:01:14 pm »
+21

I have to say I'm proud of myself for this one. Probably my most complicated comeback ever: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/23/game-20130123-144812-1147487b.html

cards in supply: Cartographer, Duchess, Duke, Hamlet, Harem, Potion, Salvager, Scrying Pool, Stables, Warehouse, and Wishing Well

My opponent opens 5/2, goes Stables/Hamlet, and opts for a Duke strategy. I can't blame him. There isn't great support for it, but there isn't really much dominating here besides, and Stables with some Copper buys off Hamlet can probably get the job done.

I open 4/3. Can you do anything with Scrying Pool here? There isn't really much virtual coin (I think at first glance), but lots of cantrips and Hamlet support, so I figure, we'll see.

I'm getting a nice deck going, but he already has 2 Duchies, and what am I going to do? A Pool deck will not hold together for Duchies and Dukes, and I'm behind anyway. But I have Salvager, so I opt to take 3 Duchies just to deny them to him and crunch them up later. And then a friendly message appears.

"Would you like to gain a Duchess?"

Oh yes. Yes I would.

Duchess is of course good for his strategy too, but with enough Hamlets... and eventually, I have enough... they're free Silvers for me. More than free silvers. Check out this cool trick I do: I draw my whole deck, with plenty of Scrying Pools to spare. Then I play all my Hamlets, and discard all the Duchess for actions and buys. Then I draw them all with a Scrying Pool. Then I play Warehouse, drawing nothing, and discarding my extra Pools. Then, I play Duchess, recycyling a deck of 3 Scyring Pools, and leave those on top for next time.

Then I play 5 more Duchesses for the coin.

At that point I can easily catch back up on Provinces, with no fear of my deck stalling.

Thanks to SadPanda for waiting through my ridiculously long turns.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Who Says My Girls Ain't Got Game? (Duchess x 6)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 06:06:06 pm »
+1

Yeah, it took me a long time, but I eventually figured out that duchess helps your opponent more in a big money game (they get to use their filtering before you), but it helps you more in an engine with a bunch of villages - you get to use the filtering right away. Scrying pool is actually one of its best friends.

Anyway, real nice call on the warehouse into duchess to seed your next hand with pools thing. I love tactical points like this.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:24:53 pm »

I don't see Dukes working here at all. SP is what I'd go for in a heartbeat and its attack isn't anything to scoff at either when it leaves you with a hand of effectively 4 cards to work with.

EDIT: to clarify, I don't mean that Dukes don't work with Duchess, I mean that I see SP and other pretty solid engine indicators.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:29:27 pm by dondon151 »

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:42:28 am »

Ooh, neat! Very nice.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 03:06:58 am »
+2

Shout out to RobZ for posting one of the coolest tricks you can do.  I got a kingdom where I could do nearly the same trick. For me it was discard extra 2 Scrying Pools with Hamlet instead of Warehouse and trigger the reshuffle with Duchess and get 2 SPs in my hand every turn. I think it helped me quite a bit in this game since I have 8/22 cards don't draw for me, and I could still reliably get my deck.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131007/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1381211748625.txt
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.384 seconds with 20 queries.