Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is Venture seriously that good?  (Read 3008 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Is Venture seriously that good?
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:43:01 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/22/game-20130122-093827-3d5ace5d.html

Isn't he supposed to struggle early to get his aggressive Island buys back out of his deck?

Aren't I supposed to get to play Militia more often when I buy Warehouse and he doesn't? Isn't Venture supposed to have as much chance of skipping over his Militia as it does of cycling to it?

At the end, how can he be chaining Ventures so effectively when he still has 4 Coppers in deck?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Is Venture seriously that good?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:47:00 pm »

He sets aside 3 Coppers with Island, so there is only 1 left in his Deck.  That means that with 2 Ventures in hand, he is guaranteed to hit his $8.  With that chaining, Militia doesn't hurt anymore.  In the early game he still usually manages to hit $5 with 3 cards, so Militia doesn't hurt much there either.

zahlman

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:51:33 pm »

In the early game he still usually manages to hit $5 with 3 cards, so Militia doesn't hurt much there either.

How can he reasonably expect to "usually manage to hit $5 with 3 cards" (which he needs to do to get Venture in the first place), when he only ever buys the one Silver?

RiemannZetaJones

• Thief
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 01:16:51 pm »

In the early game he still usually manages to hit $5 with 3 cards, so Militia doesn't hurt much there either.

How can he reasonably expect to "usually manage to hit $5 with 3 cards" (which he needs to do to get Venture in the first place), when he only ever buys the one Silver?

A single Militia is of course another $2, and Ventures, except in edge cases, will give at least $2. Ventures are good in games where it's possible to clear out other treasure, and to gain a lot of them (so Mint helps), and they do well against most attacks, especially discard attacks.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:19:22 pm »

Whoops, actually, it was more in the mid game that he was piling on the Ventures.  Early game he was mostly taking Islands.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 01:48:53 pm »
+1

Aren't I supposed to get to play Militia more often when I buy Warehouse and he doesn't?

The warehouse is a poor card against militia. I think the basic way to play this set is just militias+venture+treasures (with an opportunistic mint) and that would frequently make an opponent's warehouse worse than silver.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 01:55:30 pm »
+1

Venture is probably in the top 5 cards for me that have declined in value most starkly over time. It's a neat card for Copper-less decks, but it seems like there's almost always something better now.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 02:25:03 pm »

Aren't I supposed to get to play Militia more often when I buy Warehouse and he doesn't?

The warehouse is a poor card against militia. I think the basic way to play this set is just militias+venture+treasures (with an opportunistic mint) and that would frequently make an opponent's warehouse worse than silver.

To elaborate on this, Warehouse is bad against Militia because it lowers your hand size when you play it.  You want Warehouse when you want sifting, or there are big power cards you want to hit repeatedly.  Militia is a nice attack, but it's not really a power card.  If you have Warehouse when your opponent plays Militia, that's bad because keeping Warehouse means you'll be playing a 2 card hand next turn (after Warehouse).  If you would ditch Warehouse in that situation, it would have been better not to have WH at all so you could have a better choice of cards for your 3 card hand.

KingsSkort

• Thief
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 02:50:09 pm »

To elaborate on this, Warehouse is bad against Militia because it lowers your hand size when you play it.  You want Warehouse when you want sifting, or there are big power cards you want to hit repeatedly.  Militia is a nice attack, but it's not really a power card.  If you have Warehouse when your opponent plays Militia, that's bad because keeping Warehouse means you'll be playing a 2 card hand next turn (after Warehouse).  If you would ditch Warehouse in that situation, it would have been better not to have WH at all so you could have a better choice of cards for your 3 card hand.

Also, Island has mild anti-synergy with warehouse, because playing an island reduces your handsize and because exiling some of the bad cards in your deck makes WH's sifting less valuable.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 03:25:46 pm »

I wouldn't say that warehouse and island antisynergize.  Rather, they both work towards the same end of getting you to the cards you want.  You just don't want to over do it.
Well you *do* need a signature...

zahlman

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 12:00:57 am »

... But I'm not trying to play Warehouse *against* Militia, I'm trying to play Warehouse *with* Militia. You know, to play it more often?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 01:45:32 am »

... But I'm not trying to play Warehouse *against* Militia, I'm trying to play Warehouse *with* Militia. You know, to play it more often?

Yes, but since your opponent also picks up Militia, you are sort of playing against it anyway. :P  Militia isn't so great that you should work specifically to play it more often.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 09:11:42 am »
+1

But I'm not trying to play Warehouse *against* Militia, I'm trying to play Warehouse *with* Militia. You know, to play it more often?

Your opponent's militia shapes your hands just as much as your militia does. You play the militias more often by buying an extra militia, expecting to lose some of the terminal collisions when you discard to 3 cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.137 seconds with 20 queries.