Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: American football  (Read 1853 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
American football
« on: January 21, 2013, 01:53:14 pm »

The 49ers beating the Falcons was somewhat expected, though at 17-0 up it really seemed the Falcons had put their demons behind them.  Watching Tony Gonzalez on the verge of tears was heartbreaking.

The Ravens beating the Patriots was a lot more unexpected.  Echoes of 2007 Giants maybe?

Also, this article by Tom Junod on pain in the NFL really hit home:
http://www.esquire.com/print-this/nfl-injuries-0213?page=all

It was something I had often thought about (especially in light of "This fall, for the first time ever, I won't be watching football" and
http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/print/2012/07/23/did-football-kill-austin-trenum.php"Did football kill 17-year-old Austin Trenum") but never really appreciated until this article.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
Re: American football
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 04:21:20 pm »
+3

It's hard for me to imagine this sport even existing many generations from now.  Currently, it's popularity in the US is completely unrivaled.  I've heard that the second most popular sporting league in the US behind NFL is College Football.  However, the toll it takes on those who play it, with special consideration to those at a non-professional level, is an issue that will not go away.  Furthermore, it is also one of the most expensive sports to facilitate.

I would say much in the same way that I eat meat, I am a huge football fan.  I understand the perils and downsides, and I believe as our culture evolves in the coming centuries both will be completely eliminated.   So, while it's not an excuse that will stand to a lot of scrutiny: We are Kings of our Age and this is how Kings Live.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 05:24:46 pm »

How do you feel about boxing, as compared to American football, in terms of "even existing many generations from now"? Clearly, it's not nearly on the same level of popularity, but it exacts a similar physical price on its competitors.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:30:55 pm »

I think boxing has the same if not more popularity the world over than NFL, especially in places like the Philipines

I think sports will go the other way, and get MORE violent.

I reckon we are only 30/50 years from Running Man for convicted murderers!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 11:05:45 pm »

We live (well, not everyone on the forum, but everyone in the US) in a country and time where intellectualism is denounced, guns are rampant, and the movie Jackass was popular.  While I'd love to see the sport of headbrick abolished at the high school and college levels, I don't see it happening for many, many generations in this climate.  The only thing that could shut it down is the litigiousness of American society, which also isn't exactly a high point of our culture.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.972 seconds with 21 queries.