Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: HP + ... Remodel?  (Read 1564 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
HP + ... Remodel?
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:57:57 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/16/game-20130116-134106-908f0b2c.html

This board seemed really weak... the pieces for any kind of elaborate engine just weren't there, the only thing that really stands out is HP. Sure, there's Gardens and CH and Remodel and Haggler, but those kinds of antics don't seem likely to cut the mustard with Colonies out - and there's a dire lack of +Action, not to mention no real +Buy to supplement the options for card gains.

And it really didn't seem like there was a good X for the HP+X plan - of course, a plain HP stack is going to crush pure BM, especially on a Colony board. I guess you don't *really* need an X with Colonies, since Plat+Gold+Silver+Copper buys you a Colony. But hey, Remodel is "$2 of deck-improvement power", and it surely beats flooding yourself with Silver on $4 turns (or skipping them), so I figured I'd try it out.

To my mild surprise, it actually seems to work quite well. The execution was pretty mindless (and I'm thinking I really should skip the Loan and just take Silver, but maybe it's better to get an initial boost to cycling?) - buy HP on 5 (and sometimes 6) and Remodel on 4, and prioritize using Remodel on itself to get extra Gold. It wasn't hard to score the one vital Platinum this way. It seems in practice that the HP filtering means that you don't need to worry too much about getting swamped with useless Remodels, but you can still line up a pair of them pretty often. Then later, towards the end, you get Colony + Province turns, by Remodelling a spare Gold and then buying the Colony.

Basically, the mindless Remodel strategy is pretty slow on its own, but it seems to mix in quite well with an HP stack. They maybe don't exactly *synergize*, but they're pretty good at staying out of each other's way, and you get the benefits of both.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: HP + ... Remodel?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:21:53 pm »

Oh hey, that seems reasonable.

What I would be most worried about is that in a mirror, your remodels won't help you win the HP split and that's GG if you get 4 HPs to your opponent's 6 because you got sidetracked. I'd suspect that in a board like this, you want to skip the trasher openings and go silver-silver to win the HP split. 

A reasonable HP+X you I think is Haggler. Buy Colony, gain plat, pretty nice. Again not sure how early you want it, because the HP split is  vital and it costs  $5 to get that.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 06:30:55 pm »
+1

I don't really like the Loan here because you don't care too much about trashing Coppers. I do like Remodel, mayyybe Develop to just trash Estates, and Haggler is good too. What you should aim for with Haggler is stuff like buy Gold/Plat, gain HP. I wouldn't be surprised if having any of them at different points in the game would be just a touch more effective than having just one of them.

I also agree with opening Silver/Silver if you're aiming for Remodel. You can reasonably expect to pick up HP/Remodel on the reshuffle, and your Remodel should be able to turn one of the Silvers into HP once you don't need it so much anymore. Unfortunately, Remodeling Estates is a little weak, but it's better than nothing.

If you want to trash Coppers, consider buying a Mint. You can use Mint as your payload to gain extra treasure or you can just Remodel it into something better.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:31:57 pm by dondon151 »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:34:54 pm »

I've tried all sorts of things here, even transmute, and they all seem to depend upon the draws a great deal but come out with a similar result. For more straightforward play I'd look to get either a mint or haggler as there is the chance to repeatedly gain platinum whilst buying provinces, which is a great way to sustain your deck.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:28:14 pm »

Wow, I somehow didn't even notice Mint was there. That's good for getting rid of some Copper (and yeah I agree Loan is bad here, and opponent was a noob), but I don't know that I really want to spend my terminal action just giving myself a couple extra "insurance" golds and plats... so I'd probably want to stick with remodel, and then remodel mint->gold.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:00:47 pm »

Yeah, remodel seems to work well here.  I can do about 1-2 turns better with Haggler, but both should kill any non-HP strategy.
A man on a mission.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:02:40 pm »
+2

Isn't HP/Haggler, like, really good?

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 09:23:11 pm »

Yeah.
I think this board should just be straight HP+Haggler. It's like, good.
You don't want any other cards (besides treasure) It'll just slow you down and clog your HP's.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.