Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Iron Maiden (an Iron family attack)  (Read 5767 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Iron Maiden (an Iron family attack)
« on: January 16, 2013, 01:55:07 pm »
+6

Iron Maiden
Action-Attack-Looter
$5

You may gain a card costing up to $3.

Each other player discards the top card of his deck.  If the discarded card is an...

Action card, he gains a Ruins
Treasure card, he gains a Copper
Victory card, he gains a Curse

What do you think?  The gaining is just sort of tacked on to give some bonus, and gaining is rare for attacks.  Do you think that's too strong?  I figure gaining Silver or Estates could be nice in a long slog.  As for the attack, it can dishes out both Curses and Ruins, but it less predictable, and sometimes gives out Copper instead.  Moreover, it completely whiffs when it reveals a Curse (or Hovel).  As usual in the Iron family, it interacts strongly with dual types.

Edit: added Attack type.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:59:56 pm by SirPeebles »
Well you *do* need a signature...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Maiden (an Iron family attack)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:04:32 pm »
+3

+1 for awesome name!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:13:05 pm »
+4

Fact time: did you know the Iron Maiden is believed to be an entirely fictional torture device, not created till 19th century and not the dark ages?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:52:39 am »

Interesting that revealed curses have no effect. I like cards that don't overly punish those whose curses are on top of their deck.
The most similar card to this is Jester. When they reveal a Copper, they gain one, and if they reveal a Victory card, they gain a curse. There probably could be something to punish dual-types that is better than Tribute.
I swore there was a variant thread about a card called Iron Maiden, but I cannot find it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:47:25 am »
+4

Iron Maiden?

Excellent!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 03:45:54 pm »

It's coming... someday...

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 09:58:32 pm »

Not bad, but the non attack effect is kind of weak. Maybe make the gained cards go on top of the deck.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 03:45:05 am »
+1

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 02:47:42 am »

Comparing it to the other similar cards, I think the non-attack portion is a bit weak. I would suggest +2 cards or maybe even $2 +1 buy for a change.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 03:57:22 pm »

Comparing it to the other similar cards, I think the non-attack portion is a bit weak. I would suggest +2 cards or maybe even $2 +1 buy for a change.

Agreed, sure it can keep attacking longer, but it isn't guaranteed to do so. I'd put the attack about on par with the Witch. This has a few more combo opportunities and is more useful later in the game, but misses the chance on filling their hand with curses early.

Maybe +1 Card +$1 to be different, as "Attack +2 Cards" and "Attack +$2" have both already been done a few times and I think the +buy would make it too good.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 02:00:46 pm »

This card is a bit weak. Compare to Witch. If your opponent reveals a victory card (the best result), this is just like witch except you get a $3 card instead of +2cards.

If you look at the Knight(?) stack bonuses in Dark Ages, +2cards and "gain a $3" are about the same value. So at BEST this is just as good as a witch (except in the rare case the enemy reveals a hybrid card).

IMO, great card but bump the gain to $4.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 02:21:31 pm »

This card is a bit weak. Compare to Witch. If your opponent reveals a victory card (the best result), this is just like witch except you get a $3 card instead of +2cards.

If you look at the Knight(?) stack bonuses in Dark Ages, +2cards and "gain a $3" are about the same value. So at BEST this is just as good as a witch (except in the rare case the enemy reveals a hybrid card).

But what about when the Curses are all out? Then this card is usually better. Not to mention, being able to gain a Silver is stronger than +2 cards in a slog.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 06:57:35 pm »

Discarding a victory card is a benefit to the opponent that offsets the curse, so you're looking at an attack that's never as "harsh" as Witch. eHalcyon is right about the silver gain being extra valuable in slogs though.

I still think it should be a Sea Hag variant, with the junk going on top of the opponents deck.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 02:58:25 pm »
+1

It's funny that you had exactly the same idea i had. (+1 for that ;))
My iron maiden is really close to yours, just cheaper:

Iron Maiden
Each other player discards the top card of his deck. If it is...
...an action card: he gains a ruins
...a victory card: He gains a curse
...a treasure card: He gains a copper

Choose one:
+ 1$
+ 1 card
+ 1 action

Action/Attack/Looter
Cost $3

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 05:45:33 pm »

Thats a little swingy…how about a better benefit to make it cost $4.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 06:00:28 pm »

Thats a little swingy…how about a better benefit to make it cost $4.
It seems swingy, and we all know that ruins and copper are better then curses. On the other hand, the card will discard your green for you - something that most of the time is a good thing (If you buy Nobles or Harems when this card is out, it's your own fault... You'd think twice before buying them if your neigbor collects Tributes, won't you?). So if others might loose the silver or gold for their next turn, or a festival, you get a better hand at the cost of a curse. It's not that unfair, is it? Swindler gives out curses for coppers, with a chance higher then 50% early-game.

But i guess you're right about the benefit. +1action is not that good, even if you can play two of them in a row. Nobody likes attacks without benefit...

It could make you discard a card from your hand and then give +2X after the Tribute-method. That would make the card itself a small counter to it. So how about that:

Iron Maiden

Discard a card from your hand. If it is...
...an action card: + 2 actions
...a victory card: + 2 cards
...a treasure card: + 2$
3$   Action - Attack - Looter
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:23:36 pm by Asper »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 10:33:13 pm »

So you're telling me that this card is weaker than the strongest 5$ card in all of Dominion..
Do you recommend, to the contrary, that each card should be designed with the intent of being a stronger card of its cost than all its ancestors before it?
Have you heard of power creep?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 10:44:12 pm »

So you're telling me that this card is weaker than the strongest 5$ card in all of Dominion..
Do you recommend, to the contrary, that each card should be designed with the intent of being a stronger card of its cost than all its ancestors before it?

I think the idea is that it needs to be better sometimes. It is; in games with multi-type cards, but you'd buy Witch over this almost every time. Compare to Noble Brigand and Thief.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 02:00:52 am »
+1

Iron Maiden

I like this.  I think I like this quite a bit.  It's a half-Jester attack with a benefit of (effectively) +2 Cards, or +2 Actions/-1 Card, or $1.  This could actually be pretty big in the early game.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 06:06:38 am »

Iron Maiden

I like this.  I think I like this quite a bit.  It's a half-Jester attack with a benefit of (effectively) +2 Cards, or +2 Actions/-1 Card, or $1.  This could actually be pretty big in the early game.

This was my first thought for a bonus, except I considered for a bit where the card should come from (discard from hand?  Discard the top?).

I didn't like it first because it was too wordy.  Second, for this particular version, the bonuses are unbalanced.  +2 actions is nice, but do I really need to discard an Action card to do it?  This isn't like Hamlet tossing a Copper or Estate for the action.  Compare with the others.  Edge cases aside, the Treasure option is +$1 whenever you have a Copper in hand.  On the other hand, discarding a Victory card to draw two is quite nice.

Of course, one could certainly argue that the option of making a junker nonterminal ought to be high.

Hmm.  Now assuming that your opponent is Iron Maidening back, maybe this isn't so bad.  Victory cards are generally the nicest to toss, but also the greatest liability towards opponents.  If you have lots of actions, you may be getting swamped with Ruins, and discarding them for a
Village isn't so bad.  Similarly the money bonus is a bit nicer when you are being Copper flooded. In short, the bonus is fueled by the junk you're being fed.
Well you *do* need a signature...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 02:13:32 pm »

I think the idea is that it needs to be better sometimes. It is; in games with multi-type cards, but you'd buy Witch over this almost every time. Compare to Noble Brigand and Thief.

But it's trivial to see that it is better sometimes because the bonus for yourself is different.  You don't even need the creativity to think about Nobles, Fishing Village is reason enough.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.38 seconds with 21 queries.