Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Duke game - was Duchy the right purchase?  (Read 692 times)

bearskinrug

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Duke game - was Duchy the right purchase?
« on: January 16, 2013, 01:29:16 pm »

Hi, all.  I just won a game on isotropic against a level 40 player, which I'll admit is pretty exciting. (I'm a lowly level-20!)  I'm happy with the win, but I think we both made a few tactical mistakes along the way.  I was hoping to get some feedback.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/16/game-20130116-095338-4a19c6ec.html

To my first question, on turn 10, my opponent bought a Duchy on a Duke board, which tipped his hand that he was going to make a move for Duchy-Duke.  When my turn 10 came up, even though I had enough for a Province and had been playing towards going for Provinces, I decided to buy a Duchy to counteract the Duchy-Duke game he was playing.  Was this the right move, or would I have been better off just carrying on with my plan?  My strategy in buying the Duchy (and subsequent Duchies and Dukes) was to eliminate points from the board that my opponent would be seeking while using the cards as fodder for my Apprentice (since I still needed to go for Provinces to win).

Also, in turn 13, shouldn't my opponent have Remodeled his Gold into a Duchy rather than trash out a Duchy for the last Duchy? (Note: in turn 12, I immediately regretted not doing the Remodel-Duchy-into-Duchy trick to remove points from the board.)  Seems like losing that Duchy might have been one of the pivotal moments of the game.

I would appreciate thoughts on the points above, as well as any other input people are willing to offer.

Thanks.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Duke game - was Duchy the right purchase?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:10:52 pm »
+1

Also, in turn 13, shouldn't my opponent have Remodeled his Gold into a Duchy rather than trash out a Duchy for the last Duchy?

He could have remodeled his walled village in fact. Denying duchies to your opponent and then trashing them for draws is a reasonable tactic but I think your deck quality was only just good enough to do it. With a 4-4 split of duchies and a better deck than your opponent I think you could have settled for a duchy/duke win yourself; you had good options at that stage.

The trade route is perhaps something you could have used since it was going to be worth plenty of coins on a duchy/duke board.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.477 seconds with 20 queries.