Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion:Enlightenment  (Read 5197 times)

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Dominion:Enlightenment
« on: January 16, 2013, 12:12:01 pm »

This is a fan expansion I've had in the works for a while. It emphasizes engine building and loves action cards. This is totally open for critique, so feel free to tear it apart. My goal is to end up with thematic cards that are also interesting to play with. Enjoy!
Note: A couple of these cards have been taken from one of my earlier threads about "choosing" cards.

Headmistress
Cost:5
Action
Choose 3 (Choices must be different): +1 card, +1 action, +1 buy, +$1, trash a card, gain a silver.
If you have 2 or more copies of Headmistress in play, discard a card.

Academy
 Cost:3
Action-Reaction
+$2

When you play an action card, you may discard Academy from your hand. If you do, +2 cards.

Barricade
 Cost:2
Action- Duration
+1 buy
+$1
At the start of you next turn: +1 card.

While this is in play, when an opponent plays an attack card, you may gain a card costing $2 or less. If you do, you are not affected by the attack.

Revolutionary
Action- Attack
Choose one: Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand; or each other player gains a curse.
Each other player may trash a treasure card from their hand.
If this is the first time you've played a Revolutionary this turn, +$2.

Tavern
 Cost:4
Action
 Choose one: +2 cards, put a patron token onto your tavern mat; or gain an action card costing up to $3 per patron token on your tavern mat, then remove all tokens from your tavern mat.

Books (support card)
Cost:0
Action
+1 action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Trash one, then put the rest into your hand.
(this is not in the supply)

Librarian
Action
 Choose one: Gain a Books from the Books pile; or Reveal cards from you deck until you reveal a Books. Put it into your hand and discard the other revealed cards.
You may play a Books.

You must have an action card in play to buy this card.
When you gain this, trash an action you have in play.

Scholar
Action- Reaction
Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Put one into your hand, then put the rest back in any order.

When you gain an action card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a Books from the Books pile.

Private Funds
Treasure
 When you play this it is worth $1 for every action card you have in play. If this is worth $5 or more, trash this card.

Cafe
Action- Victory
 You may play an action card from your hand.
+1 card

Every Cafe in your deck after the first is worth 3 VP.

Poet
Action
+2 cards
+1 action
+$1
Put this card in your Poet mat.

You may buy cards on your Poet mat for $1 during your buy phase.

Philosopher
Cost:6
Action
 Choose one: Trash up to 4 cards from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the number of cards you trashed; or Trash Philosopher. If you do, gain a card costing up to $6.

Rebel Village
Action- Attack- Looter
+2 actions
Each other player with 5 or cards in hand trashes a copper from their hand or reveal a a hand  without copper and gains a ruins.

When you gain this, gain 2 copper.

Town Commons
Action
+2 actions
+1 buy

When you buy or trash this card, gain an action card costing up to $4 that is not a Town Commons.

Let me know what you think.

EDIT: Changed cost of Librarian to $4, changed Town Commons to "When you buy or trash...", changed the VP system for Cafe, changed Headmistress' text to to "Trash a card from your hand and changed Scholar's reaction to "When you gain an action" to prevent the promotion of BM.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:31:29 pm by jamespotter »

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion:Enlightenment
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:17:23 pm »

Town Commons
Action
+2 actions
+1 buy
When you gain or trash this card, gain an action card costing up to $4 that is not a Town Commons.

Highway, Highway, TC, Border Village = Two Empty Piles and a whole deck full of action cards, heh.

Cafe
Action- Victory
+1 card
At the end of the game, you may trash a Cafe from your deck. If you do, this card is worth 5 VP.

Not sure I understand this, is the first thing not just +1 Action?
And the second part, as its worded its confusing, can I trash one Cafe and all of the others are worth 5VP? If so thats rather good.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 12:48:41 pm »
+1

Not sure I understand this, is the first thing not just +1 Action?

No, it's a Ruined Throne Room. Play that action NOW.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 01:04:01 pm »

Yeah, Cafe is confusing... both parts. So the first part is almost just like a card that says "+1 action +1 card." It's just slightly worse than that, because you have to play your next action before you draw a card. The victory part is confusing as well. Is it just the same as saying that you get 5 VP for every 2 Cafes in your deck? I'm not quite sure how, but I'm pretty sure there's a better way to phrase that than having each Cafe trash another Cafe.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 01:10:05 pm »

Revolutionary sounds pretty bad compared to Witch. Really bad compared to Mountebank. Sure Those become worse after Curses run out, whereas this becomes a Militia. But even so, allowing your opponents to trash Copper when you give them a Curse, as well as getting no benefit at all from multiple plays? Maybe this should cost $4.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 01:21:28 pm »

Yeah, Cafe is confusing... both parts. So the first part is almost just like a card that says "+1 action +1 card." It's just slightly worse than that, because you have to play your next action before you draw a card. The victory part is confusing as well. Is it just the same as saying that you get 5 VP for every 2 Cafes in your deck? I'm not quite sure how, but I'm pretty sure there's a better way to phrase that than having each Cafe trash another Cafe.

I think the idea is that the first Cafe has no value, but each subsequent Cafe is worth 5 VP.  More precisely, the first Cafe gets trashed, so it won't count towards Gardens, Silk Roads, or Vineyards either.
Well you *do* need a signature...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:37:36 pm »

I think the idea is that the first Cafe has no value, but each subsequent Cafe is worth 5 VP.  More precisely, the first Cafe gets trashed, so it won't count towards Gardens, Silk Roads, or Vineyards either.

I can see that. Though it probably makes 5VP too much for a $4 that's not dead in your deck. This is card could be called "Really, really, Great Hall."

Even so, the wording would need something else to make it only trash 1 Cafe. One of those "in games using this" type things. But it's probably simpler to just go with "the first Cafe in your deck is worth 0VP. Others are worth 5VP". I don't see the need to specifically avoid Silk Roads/Gardens/Vineyard counting with it.

jamespotter

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:19:15 pm »

My intent was to have the victory part of Cafe make every 2 cafes worth 5 VP. Any suggestions on how to word that?

I'm actually rather proud of the top part of Cafe. Most of the time, it's a slightly weaker cantrip, but on occasion it gives cards a power boost. These would be cards that deal with the top of your deck. All of a sudden, develop, bureaucrat, duchess, and other such cards become quite a bit better.

I missed that problem with Town Commons...What if I added a clause "You may not gain more than one card using Town Commons per turn"?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 03:58:04 pm »

Town commons can be changed to when you buy or trash this card, that would solve it i think?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 04:39:21 pm »

Headmistress
Action
Choose 3 (Choices must be different): +1 card, +1 action, +1 buy, +$1, trash a card, gain a silver.
If you have 2 or more copies of Headmistress in play, discard a card.
This card attempts to fight its own analysis paralysis by punishing you for buying more than one. There are 20 combinations. Also, it should be "trash a card from your hand".
Academy
Action-Reaction
+$2

When you play an action card, you may discard Academy from your hand. If you do, +2 cards.
I think this is too strong. If you have any other non-terminal actions in your hand, it is a Lab for $3. If you have a terminal action in your hand, this tacks +1 card on that card. By itself or as the last action you play, it is a reliable terminal silver. The only weakening factor is that you cannot rely on this card by itself in an engine (I don't know if this beats BM).
Barricade
 Cost:2
Action- Duration
+1 buy
+$1
At the start of you next turn: +1 card.

While this is in play, when an opponent plays an attack card, you may gain a card costing $2 or less. If you do, you are not affected by the attack.
I think this works, rules wise, but in any game with villages, this is too effective at punishing most attacks. Lighthouse only stops the attack, and Beggar doesn't stop the attack when it gains the Silver. This card seems fine for 2P, but is likely crazy in 4P, but it stops people from buying attacks at all.
Revolutionary
Action- Attack
Choose one: Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand; or each other player gains a curse.
Each other player may trash a treasure card from their hand.
If this is the first time you've played a Revolutionary this turn, +$2.
I don't agree with GendoIkari. In many cursing games, coppers are too good to trash from hand. The curse option on this is probably a top-tier $5 by itself, so I think this would be better than Mountebank overall.
Tavern
Action
 Choose one: +2 cards, put a patron token onto your tavern mat; or gain an action card costing up to $3 per patron token on your tavern mat, then remove all tokens from your tavern mat.
You +2 cards twice, then remove the tokens and gain a Goons? Seems like a trap card, but I don't see anything wrong here.
Books (support card)
Cost:0
Action
+1 action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Trash one, then put the rest into your hand.
(this is not in the supply)
Librarian
Action
 Choose one: Gain a Books from the Books pile; or Reveal cards from you deck until you reveal a Books. Put it into your hand and discard the other revealed cards.
You may play a Books.

You must have an action card in play to buy this card.
When you gain this, trash an action you have in play.
This is difficult for me to predict. I assume that $4 might be good enough considering the action trash requirement.
Scholar
Action- Reaction
Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Put one into your hand, then put the rest back in any order.

When another player gains an action card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a Books from the Books pile.
To get the perfect outcome from this, you likely need a village. The "another player gains an action" effect encourages people to play BM.
Private Funds
Treasure
 When you play this it is worth $1 for every action card you have in play. If this is worth $5 or more, trash this card.
A card that could be worth $0 in an unlucky hand. As a Horn of Plenty variant, this seems to be okay. Does this effect count a King's Courted-action twice or three times? I never had to worry about that from a Conspirator.
Cafe
Action- Victory
+1 card

At the end of the game, you may trash a Cafe from your deck. If you do, this card is worth 5 VP.
I think the "you may play" bit is fine, though if the action is complicated, many players will forget to draw the card afterwords.
Poet
Action
+2 cards
+1 action
+$1
Put this card in your Poet mat.

You may buy cards on your Poet mat for $1 during your buy phase.
I don't know how often this would be worthwhile without +buy. Maybe in an Attack heavy Sea Hag game?
Philosopher
Action
 Choose one: Trash up to 4 cards from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the number of cards you trashed; or Trash Philosopher. If you do, gain a card costing up to $6.
Seems swingy, but no more than Forge already is.
Rebel Village
Action- Attack- Looter
+2 actions
Each other player with 5 or cards in hand trashes a copper from their hand or reveal a a hand  without copper and gains a ruins.

When you gain this, gain 2 copper.
I don't like how much of a drag it would be to be on the receiving end of this is mass-multiplayer. The +actions as benefit weakens it early game, but it lets you play many ruins later...
Town Commons
Action
+2 actions
+1 buy

When you gain or trash this card, gain an action card costing up to $4 that is not a Town Commons.
Maybe "When you gain or trash this card, gain an action card costing up to $4 that you haven't gained this turn" since it wouldn't be able to instantly deplete a pile of a card with a similar effect that may get printed in Guilds. This is a good (if weak) effect that sometimes beefs up 4/3 openings into 4/4. I could see this and Necropolis encouraging double-terminal 4 openings.

jamespotter

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 02:30:12 pm »

Thanks for all of the feedback! I've changed a couple things so they are not broken. Still not sure about the wording on Cafe, though.

@One Armed Man
Barricade is indeed effective at stopping attacks, but it is not exactly a great engine piece on a board with villages. Also, once the barricades run out, you will probably be forced to gain junk.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 02:56:05 pm »

I don't agree with GendoIkari. In many cursing games, coppers are too good to trash from hand. The curse option on this is probably a top-tier $5 by itself, so I think this would be better than Mountebank overall.

I failed to think about the fact that if you do choose to trash a Copper, then you've just been Cutpursed as well as Cursed. I still think it's fine to not have the 1-only restriction on the +2$, especially since it's a terminal anyway.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 12:56:58 am »

Thanks for all of the feedback! I've changed a couple things so they are not broken. Still not sure about the wording on Cafe, though.

@One Armed Man
Barricade is indeed effective at stopping attacks, but it is not exactly a great engine piece on a board with villages. Also, once the barricades run out, you will probably be forced to gain junk.

I noticed that later. I am warming to the card, especially when it may force you to gain a midgame estate to protect you.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 09:45:36 pm »

I've ordered and reworded your cards before critiquing them, but I don't believe I've changed any functionality.

Barricade
Types: Action – Duration
Cost: $2
+1 Buy. +$1. At the start of you next turn, +1 Card.

While this is in play, when another player plays an Attack card, you may gain a card costing up to $2. If you do, you are not affected by that Attack.

This is sort of an oddball card. Obviously it's going to be very popular in games with Attacks and $2 cards you want a lot of, like Fool's Gold, Native Village, etc. Unfortunately, t's probably powerful enough in those games to deter people from buying Attacks at all. In games without powerful $2 cards, it seems incredibly weak. I don't think I want a ton of Barricades in my deck most of the time, although I could be wrong about that.

I'd take off the bit about the Attack not affecting you and raise the limit of the gained card to $3. That makes it more useful in more games and should deter Attacks much less.

I do really like how it interacts with cost-decreasers that other players play. "Oh, you played 3 Highways and then a Militia? I'll just gain a Wharf."

Academy
Types: Action – Reaction
Cost: $3
+$2

When you play an Action card, you may discard this. If you do, +2 Cards.

I think this is probably undercosted and incentivizes Academy rushes too much. If I play an Academy, I can then discard an Academy from my hand to draw two cards. If one (or both) of those is an Academy, I can then discard that one for two more cards. There's no way to tell if I had it in my hand initially, after all. So as long as you buy no other Action cards, they're basically incredibly cheap Laboratories except the first one, which is worth $2. It might work at $4, but it might need tweaking before it can work at any cost.

Scholar

When you gain an Action card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Books from the Books pile.

Seems solid enough. You'd have to playtest it to make sure the cost is right, but I don't think the concept is fundamentally flawed. The reaction portion seems a bit tacked on, though. Scholar doesn't really seem as built to work with Books as Librarian does.

Town Commons
Types: Action
+2 Actions. +1 Buy.

When you buy or trash this card, gain a differently named Action card costing up to $4.

Interesting. It's sort of a reversed Border Village. Seems…powerful. It's a pretty weak card in your deck, but it does let you open $4/$4/Town Commons, which seems pretty darn good. I like the strategy space it opens, but I wouldn't be surprised if testing revealed it to be too powerful in a lot of games.

Cafe
Types: Action – Victory
Cost: $4
You may play an Action card from your hand. +1 Card.

I'm not terribly fond of either half of this one. The interactions with Action cards that reorder the top of your deck are cute, but I don't think it's worth the potential confusion and tracking issues. When you start chaining and Throning them, it just gets more confusing.

As for the bottom half, it just doesn't really seem interesting to me. Maybe I'm judging it too quickly. Can you try to sell me on it?

Librarian
Choose one: Gain a Books from the Books pile; or reveal cards from you deck until you reveal a Books, put it into your hand, and discard the other revealed cards.
You may play a Books.

You must have an Action card in play to buy this.

When you gain this, trash an Action card you have in play.

Books
Cost: $0*
+1 Action. Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Trash one and put the rest into your hand.
(This is not in the supply.)

So, let's talk about Books. Librarian/Scholar/Books remind me of similar cards in my Enterprise expansion, Barracks and Conscripts. One of the key differences is that Books isn't a one-shot. Books is like a Super-Lookout in a lot of ways. You look at the top 3 cards of your deck and trash one, but instead of discarding one and putting one back, you draw them both. That's incredibly powerful, like a Laboratory-Lookout! But like Lookout, I'm guessing that you don't want many Books, because once you've trashed most of your junk, playing Books is a bad idea. In games without junking Attacks, you probably want one Books. With junking Attacks, two or maybe three.

So the interesting interactions that Books has with Librarian sort of go to waste if you're only gaining one Books per game. It might take the strategy out of it, because you probably know exactly how many Books you want, you'll get them ASAP, and then you'll never need any more.

You could have Librarian "re-shelve" the Books (return them to the Books pile) for a bonus. That could be cool and thematic.

As far as Librarian itself goes, I'm not sure it needs the buy restrictions. What's your logic there?

Rebel Village
Types: Action – Attack – Looter
+2 Actions. Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand trashes a Copper from his hand or reveals a hand with no Copper and gains a Ruins.

When you gain this, gain 2 Coppers.

I generally don't like fan cards that require you to own a specific expansion, and this is no exception. That aside, I think this card has other issues. In a 2-player game, this is almost always going to help your opponent. However, in a multiplayer game where everybody opens with this, I worry that economies will just be destroyed before they can get off the ground, gained Coppers notwithstanding. Cutpurse is at least terminal. Once your opponents trash your Copper, you could have a hand (and deck!) that consists only of your Estates, a Silver, and two Rebel Villages. Then you destroy the other players' turns. It could easily be a vicious circle.

I don't really have any suggestions on fixing it. If my concerns turn out to be correct, I don't think there's a way to fix the card without fundamentally changing it.

Tavern
Choose one: +2 cards and put a patron token onto your Tavern mat; or gain an Action card costing up to $3 per patron token on your Tavern mat, then remove all tokens from your Tavern mat.

Seems cool. Might need tweaking after playtesting, but I can't see anything wrong with it.

Headmistress
Cost: $5
Choose three: +1 Card; +1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1; trash a card from your hand; gain a Silver. (The choices must be different.)
If you have more than one Headmistress in play, discard a card.

I am not a fan of this one. I don't like that there are 20 different combinations to choose from, I don't like that each individual option is boring, and I don't like the heavy-handed way it limits itself. Sorry!

Poet
+2 Cards. +1 Action. +$1. Put this card on your Poet mat.

You may buy cards from your Poet mat for $1 during your buy phase.

Cool idea. It could easily be balanced as-is, but of course playtesting could reveal otherwise. I wouldn't mind if the effect was a little snazzier than just three vanilla bonuses.

Private Funds
Types: Treasure
When you play this, it's worth $1 for every Action card you have in play. If this is worth $5 or more, trash this.

Interesting. I wonder if it incentivizes not playing a fifth Action. Even if it does, I don't think it's a dealbreaker. It overlaps with one of my own fans cards a bit, in both name and effect, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. It also has obvoius parallels with Horn of Plenty, but time and testing will tell if plays differently enough to be interesting. I think it probably will.

Revolutionary
Types: Action – Attack
Choose one: Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand; or each other player gains a Curse.
Each other player may trash a Treasure from his hand.
If this is the first time you played a Revolutionary this turn, +$2.

I don't know quite what to make of this one, but my overall reaction is negative. For one thing, it might create politics in the same way that early versions of Goons did. If the player to your right just played a discard Attack, your discard attack will only hit that player and the effect you choose may be driven by how well that player is doing. On the other hand, given the choice between these two two attack effects, I think you're usually going to choose the cursing until the Curses run out, then choose the discarding. On the third hand, discarding Attacks tend to lose a lot of oomph in Curse-heavy games, so the discard option seems a little superfluous.

Looking at the rest of the card, I feel like it has too many moving parts and that most of the parts won't matter most of the time. As others have said, I don't think you'll be seeing many opponents trashing Treasures from their hands in a Curse-heavy game. I've already mentioned that the discard Attack probably won't end up mattering much. In a Curse-heavy game, you're unlikely to play more than one Revolutionary in a turn, so the self-limiting effect probably won't matter much, either.

Philosopher
Cost: $6
Choose one: Trash up to 4 cards from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the number of cards you trashed; or trash this; if you do, gain a card costing up to $6.

Seems too swingy. If you get lucky, you get to trash more cards and get a better card in return. If you get unlucky, you don't get to trash many cards and you get a mediocre card in return. It's a double whammy. That's one more whammy than I can stand.

Thanks for posting your expansion. You have a lot of creative ideas, which I appreciate. Even if half of them don't work out, after several iterations you'll probably end up with an interesting, sold set of cards.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:55:28 pm by LastFootnote »

jamespotter

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 09:59:03 am »

Barricade
Types: Action – Duration
Cost: $2
+1 Buy. +$1. At the start of you next turn, +1 Card.

While this is in play, when another player plays an Attack card, you may gain a card costing up to $2. If you do, you are not affected by that Attack.

This is sort of an oddball card. Obviously it's going to be very popular in games with Attacks and $2 cards you want a lot of, like Fool's Gold, Native Village, etc. Unfortunately, t's probably powerful enough in those games to deter people from buying Attacks at all. In games without powerful $2 cards, it seems incredibly weak. I don't think I want a ton of Barricades in my deck most of the time, although I could be wrong about that.

I'd take off the bit about the Attack not affecting you and raise the limit of the gained card to $3. That makes it more useful in more games and should deter Attacks much less.

I do really like how it interacts with cost-decreasers that other players play. "Oh, you played 3 Highways and then a Militia? I'll just gain a Wharf."

I didn't think of it from that point of view. I hesitate to raise the gaining to $3 because then it becomes just a different sort of beggar... What if it said "choose one: gain a card costing up to $2, or the attack does not affect you?"
Academy
+$2

When you play an Action card, you may discard this. If you do, +2 Cards.

I think this is probably undercosted and incentivizes Academy rushes too much. If I play an Academy, I can then discard an Academy from my hand to draw two cards. If one (or both) of those is an Academy, I can then discard that one for two more cards. There's no way to tell if I had it in my hand initially, after all. So as long as you buy no other Action cards, they're basically incredibly cheap Laboratories except the first one, which is worth $2. It might work at $4, but it might need tweaking before it can work at any cost.

The endless Academy chain was not my intent... What if wording was changed to "When you play an action card, you may discard this. If you do, +2 cards. You may not reveal another Academy until you play another action."  Obviously, the wording needs some cleaning up.
Scholar

When you gain an Action card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Books from the Books pile.

Seems solid enough. You'd have to playtest it to make sure the cost is right, but I don't think the concept is fundamentally flawed. The reaction portion seems a bit tacked on, though. Scholar doesn't really seem as built to work with Books as Librarian does.

It wasn't meant to work as well with books. The top part is a fairly weak effect, so the main part of this card is the book gaining ability...the top was just another effect I had lying around that I thought would balance out the card.
Town Commons
+2 Actions. +1 Buy.

When you buy or trash this card, gain a differently named Action card costing up to $4.

Interesting. It's sort of a reversed Border Village. Seems…powerful. It's a pretty weak card in your deck, but it does let you open $4/$4/Town Commons, which seems pretty darn good. I like the strategy space it opens, but I wouldn't be surprised if testing revealed it to be too powerful in a lot of games.

I think the key thing to remember is that it is essentially a necropolis once in your deck, usually junk. Obviously, the +buy does make it more powerful, so you could be right about the overpowered aspect, but I think the 4/4 opening is alleviated by the junk you now have in your deck as well. Do you think it would be better without the +buy?

Cafe
Types: Action – Victory
You may play an Action card from your hand. +1 Card.

I'm not terribly fond of either half of this one. The interactions with Action cards that reorder the top of your deck are cute, but I don't think it's worth the potential confusion and tracking issues. When you start chaining and Throning them, it just gets more confusing.

As for the bottom half, it just doesn't really seem interesting to me. Maybe I'm judging it too quickly. Can you try to sell me on it?

I see what you mean about the top, so I'll scrap it for now, and try to sell you on the bottom as if the top is simply a cantrip. The interesting thing about Cafe is that you really have to plan for them the entire game, because you can't just add one or two to your deck at the end of the game. Unless you are really stalling, in which case a couple of cafes isn't going to win it for you, you have to either be buying cafes throughout the game, wasting time you could be developing your deck, or building up to a megaton where you buy most of the cafes, in which case, why didn't you go for provinces? Either way, Cafe encourages players to run odd strategies, without being unignorable on any board.
Librarian
Choose one: Gain a Books from the Books pile; or reveal cards from you deck until you reveal a Books, put it into your hand, and discard the other revealed cards.
You may play a Books.

Books
+1 Action. Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Trash one and put the rest into your hand.

So, let's talk about Books. Librarian/Scholar/Books remind me of similar cards in my Enterprise expansion, Barracks and Conscripts. One of the key differences is that Books isn't a one-shot. Books is like a Super-Lookout in a lot of ways. You look at the top 3 cards of your deck and trash one, but instead of discarding one and putting one back, you draw them both. That's incredibly powerful, like a Laboratory-Lookout! But like Lookout, I'm guessing that you don't want many Books, because once you've trashed most of your junk, playing Books is a bad idea. In games without junking Attacks, you probably want one Books. With junking Attacks, two or maybe three.

So the interesting interactions that Books has with Librarian sort of go to waste if you're only gaining one Books per game. It might take the strategy out of it, because you probably know exactly how many Books you want, you'll get them ASAP, and then you'll never need any more.

You could have Librarian "re-shelve" the Books (return them to the Books pile) for a bonus. That could be cool and thematic.

As far as Librarian itself goes, I'm not sure it needs the buy restrictions. What's your logic there?

The buy restrictions were originally to prevent opening with Librarian (it costed $5), which would give you a significant leg up. I'm not sure they really need to remain, if it stays costed at $4. The question is, is Librarian a too powerful card at just $4?

As far as another ability goes, I think Librarian is already a very powerful card, because when you use books as a one shot, it is the equivalent of playing 2 Laboratories, plus it is almost all good cards because you didn't want to trash any. Even a card that gains a one-shot like that, and then searches for it and plays it, is pretty powerful.
Rebel Village
Types: Action – Attack – Looter
+2 Actions. Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand trashes a Copper from his hand or reveals a hand with no Copper and gains a Ruins.

When you gain this, gain 2 Coppers.

I generally don't like fan cards that require you to own a specific expansion, and this is no exception. That aside, I think this card has other issues. In a 2-player game, this is almost always going to help your opponent. However, in a multiplayer game where everybody opens with this, I worry that economies will just be destroyed before they can get off the ground, gained Coppers notwithstanding. Cutpurse is at least terminal. Once your opponents trash your Copper, you could have a hand (and deck!) that consists only of your Estates, a Silver, and two Rebel Villages. Then you destroy the other players' turns. It could easily be a vicious circle.

I don't really have any suggestions on fixing it. If my concerns turn out to be correct, I don't think there's a way to fix the card without fundamentally changing it.

I actually agree with your sentiments. I don't like cards that require expansions, and I thought this card has the potential to be awful or devastating. You've confirmed my doubts on this one, so it needs a serious reboot. What about:

Rebel Village
Cost:$4
Action-Attack
+1 card
+2 actions
Trash a treasure card from your hand, or reveal a hand with no treasure. Each other player chooses one: gain 2 copper into hand or gain a curse into hand.
Headmistress
Choose three: +1 Card; +1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1; trash a card from your hand; gain a Silver. (The choices must be different.)
If you have more than one Headmistress in play, discard a card.

I am not a fan of this one. I don't like that there are 20 different combinations to choose from, I don't like that each individual option is boring, and I don't like the heavy-handed way it limits itself. Sorry!

Eh, not every card is liked by everyone. This card is balanced and it adds some strategic variation, but it's not exactly the most interesting card in the world.
Poet
+2 Cards. +1 Action. +$1. Put this card on your Poet mat.

You may buy cards from your Poet mat for $1 during your buy phase.

Cool idea. It could easily be balanced as-is, but of course playtesting could reveal otherwise. I wouldn't mind if the effect was a little snazzier than just three vanilla bonuses.

The idea behind the vanilla bonuses is that it is always powerful, and you pretty much always want it in your deck. Obviously, it requires a strategy to keep in your deck, but, like Lab, the only time it really hurts is when drawn with terminal draw, in which case you shouldn't have bought it. Any snazzy bonuses could make those last couple statements not true, which would fundamentally break the card.
Private Funds
Types: Treasure
When you play this, it's worth $1 for every Action card you have in play. If this is worth $5 or more, trash this.

Interesting. I wonder if it incentivizes not playing a fifth Action. Even if it does, I don't think it's a dealbreaker. It overlaps with one of my own fans cards a bit, in both name and effect, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. It also has obvoius parallels with Horn of Plenty, but time and testing will tell if plays differently enough to be interesting. I think it probably will.

Sorry! I came up with this idea on my own, and the name is actually a reference to the private aristocratic investors that would sometimes fund revolutionaries' mad schemes during the Age of Enlightenment. I think this card is different enough from HoP to be interesting, as money and gaining are pretty far apart.
Revolutionary
Types: Action – Attack
Choose one: Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand; or each other player gains a Curse.
Each other player may trash a Treasure from his hand.
If this is the first time you played a Revolutionary this turn, +$2.

I don't know quite what to make of this one, but my overall reaction is negative. For one thing, it might create politics in the same way that early versions of Goons did. If the player to your right just played a discard Attack, your discard attack will only hit that player and the effect you choose may be driven by how well that player is doing. On the other hand, given the choice between these two two attack effects, I think you're usually going to choose the cursing until the Curses run out, then choose the discarding. On the third hand, discarding Attacks tend to lose a lot of oomph in Curse-heavy games, so the discard option seems a little superfluous.

Looking at the rest of the card, I feel like it has too many moving parts and that most of the parts won't matter most of the time. As others have said, I don't think you'll be seeing many opponents trashing Treasures from their hands in a Curse-heavy game. I've already mentioned that the discard Attack probably won't end up mattering much. In a Curse-heavy game, you're unlikely to play more than one Revolutionary in a turn, so the self-limiting effect probably won't matter much, either.

I would argue that this card is only slightly more political than militia. "I have a militia and a chancellor, the player to my right also played a militia. How important is it that I hit him with the attack? Eh, I don't like him, i'll play it."

As for the fiddliness, the parts are all preventing something, and the discarding attack would be significant if you opponents are using trashing. Perhaps the treasure trashing should go, but the +$2 limit is essential, otherwise this card becomes deadly at the hands of a King's court or Throne Room.
Philosopher
Cost: $6
Choose one: Trash up to 4 cards from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more than the number of cards you trashed; or trash this; if you do, gain a card costing up to $6.

Seems too swingy. If you get lucky, you get to trash more cards and get a better card in return. If you get unlucky, you don't get to trash many cards and you get a mediocre card in return. It's a double whammy. That's one more whammy than I can stand.

You're right. What if it was reworded:

PhilosopherA
Action
Trash up to 4 cards from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $7, but $1 less for each card you trashed.

Thanks for your feedback!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 11:26:55 am »

Librarian
You may play a Books.

Books

The buy restrictions were originally to prevent opening with Librarian (it costed $5), which would give you a significant leg up. I'm not sure they really need to remain, if it stays costed at $4. The question is, is Librarian a too powerful card at just $4?

As far as another ability goes, I think Librarian is already a very powerful card, because when you use books as a one shot, it is the equivalent of playing 2 Laboratories, plus it is almost all good cards because you didn't want to trash any. Even a card that gains a one-shot like that, and then searches for it and plays it, is pretty powerful.

OK, now I'm confused. My comments were predicated on the fact that Books is currently not a one-shot. Nowhere on Books does it say "trash this" or "return this to the Books pile". Is it supposed to be a one-shot?

jamespotter

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 12:35:58 pm »

OK, now I'm confused. My comments were predicated on the fact that Books is currently not a one-shot. Nowhere on Books does it say "trash this" or "return this to the Books pile". Is it supposed to be a one-shot?
Whoops, sorry about that. One of my earlier iterations of the card (in the file I was referencing with my notes) had it down as a slightly different effect that made it a one shot with the effect:

BooksA
+1 Action. Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. You may trash one then put the remaining revealed cards into your hand. If you don't trash a card in this way, trash Books.

I later changed the text to lower card complexity...now I think BooksA might be more balanced. Any ideas?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 02:02:26 am »

Whoops, sorry about that. One of my earlier iterations of the card (in the file I was referencing with my notes) had it down as a slightly different effect that made it a one shot with the effect:

BooksA
+1 Action. Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. You may trash one then put the remaining revealed cards into your hand. If you don't trash a card in this way, trash Books.

I later changed the text to lower card complexity...now I think BooksA might be more balanced. Any ideas?

BooksA seems even more powerful than Books. Now it's a Lab-Lookout that self-trashes when you no longer need it, and even gives a bonus as it does so! It doesn't really address my issues with the fact that you're probably only going to gain a Books once in most games. I was thinking that it should either always be a one-shot, or that rather than digging for a Books, Librarian could return/trash Books for a bonus. If you go for that second option, there's more strategy involved with how many Books you want to gain.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.