Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Alchemy on Goko  (Read 30007 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemy on Goko
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 04:47:09 pm »

Does the deck builder work for anyone? I can't save a deck and I can't actually edit a deck unless I go the the multiplayer screen first (the page hangs after I hit add deck)
I'm not checking it today, but a few weeks ago I put in a set of 10 they said was challenging to beat and it worked fine.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 04:48:33 pm »

I was using it about 14 hours ago - might have crashed since then?

clb

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 04:49:13 pm »

Does the deck builder work for anyone? I can't save a deck and I can't actually edit a deck unless I go the the multiplayer screen first (the page hangs after I hit add deck)
I'm not checking it today, but a few weeks ago I put in a set of 10 they said was challenging to beat and it worked fine.

Challenging to beat their bot, or challenging for the bot to win? What was the deck?

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 04:50:30 pm »

I tried last night and a few times today on the beta site (beta.goko.com) and I haven't been able to.

I want to try playing with Tournament/Urchin/Mercenary/Maurader/Young Witch/Potion Cost Card/Colony+Platinum and see how the screen looks
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 05:01:12 pm »

Challenging to beat their bot, or challenging for the bot to win? What was the deck?
Challenging to beat two Lord Bottingtons at once (I beat them up and then they said the AI update hadn't gone out yet). It's a classic pure-Cornucopia thing; if you have played a bunch of Cornucopia you will know how things will go here.

Hamlet, Menagerie, Farming Village, Horse Traders, Remake, Tournament, Young Witch, Harvest, Horn of Plenty, Fairgrounds
(Fortune Teller as bane)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 05:05:39 pm »
+2

OK, I have to give props where props are due, the store is much, much, much nicer now.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 05:11:46 pm »

OK, I have to give props where props are due, the store is much, much, much nicer now.

Ironically, their website looks better than anything else on their website, as if it came from another dimension or something.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 05:13:19 pm »

I got it to work, I'm not keen on how potion hovers over the log and chat buttons but other than that its not bad, only 2 pages albeit full pages
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 05:14:02 pm »
+1

I got it to work, I'm not keen on how potion hovers over the log and chat buttons but other than that its not bad, only 2 pages albeit full pages

Well, I do prefer that than Potions being on the next page over.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 05:16:55 pm »
+1

I tried last night and a few times today on the beta site (beta.goko.com) and I haven't been able to.

I want to try playing with Tournament/Urchin/Mercenary/Maurader/Young Witch/Potion Cost Card/Colony+Platinum and see how the screen looks

I set up a game with:

Tournament, Young Witch, Cultist, Bandit Camp, Scrying Pool, Knights, Hermit, Urchin, and extra randoms.

There are two full pages of cards (11 in Kingdom, 5 Prizes, Spoils, Mercenary, Madman, Ruins).  The "view cards" button is four pages total.

The right-side cards (Platinum, Gold, Silver, Copper, Estate, Curse, Potion) partially cover up the Log and View Cards buttons at the bottom.  They're still clickable, but it's a lot harder to do it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

clb

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 06:15:09 pm »

Challenging to beat two Lord Bottingtons at once (I beat them up and then they said the AI update hadn't gone out yet). It's a classic pure-Cornucopia thing; if you have played a bunch of Cornucopia you will know how things will go here.

Hamlet, Menagerie, Farming Village, Horse Traders, Remake, Tournament, Young Witch, Harvest, Horn of Plenty, Fairgrounds
(Fortune Teller as bane)
Thanks - looks like fun.

onigame

• Thief
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Set Generator
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 08:51:47 pm »

So I can't get on to GetSatisfaction (telling me to check my email for the verification code, but not actually sending me the verification code), so I'll just leave this here...

"When you discard this from play" effects should happen in an order the player chooses. Right now, Herbalist resolves before Alchemist, so Alchemist+Herbalist has turned into a nombo. Off the top of my head, Treasury and Scheme also care about that timing event.

Confirmed. I emailed them. As it is now, Scheme resolves first, Herbalist second, Alchemist third, and Treasury fourth.

You forgot Hermit.  Hermit-Scheme is a very messy combo as far as User Interface is concerned.

Anyway, they deemed that getting Alchemy cards on Beta was more important than fixing all the timing issues involved in the Clean-up phase, but they definitely are aware of it since I sent them a long chunk of pseudocode a month ago.

Donald has told them that a switch of priority between Herbalist and Alchemist should fix most realistic issues; I don't know what the progress is on that yet.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 12:50:26 am »

So I can't get on to GetSatisfaction (telling me to check my email for the verification code, but not actually sending me the verification code), so I'll just leave this here...

"When you discard this from play" effects should happen in an order the player chooses. Right now, Herbalist resolves before Alchemist, so Alchemist+Herbalist has turned into a nombo. Off the top of my head, Treasury and Scheme also care about that timing event.

Confirmed. I emailed them. As it is now, Scheme resolves first, Herbalist second, Alchemist third, and Treasury fourth.

You forgot Hermit.  Hermit-Scheme is a very messy combo as far as User Interface is concerned.

Anyway, they deemed that getting Alchemy cards on Beta was more important than fixing all the timing issues involved in the Clean-up phase, but they definitely are aware of it since I sent them a long chunk of pseudocode a month ago.

Donald has told them that a switch of priority between Herbalist and Alchemist should fix most realistic issues; I don't know what the progress is on that yet.

...or let us choose what order to resolve them in.   OR have an option in some settings menu where you can either choose to have options go through the most likely order (the default option), or to be able to choose the order yourself.  Maybe sometimes you want that Outpost turn to come first, and maybe sometimes you want that 2nd Possessed turn to come first.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 01:16:00 am »

I haven't been to Goko in months. Is it worth going back?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 01:19:22 am »

I'd say so. They've got everything but Alchemy, Black Market, and Stash implemented and the interface is good for the most part. Whenever I play online Dominion, that's where I go.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 01:20:18 am »

I'd say so. They've got everything but Alchemy, Black Market, and Stash implemented and the interface is good for the most part. Whenever I play online Dominion, that's where I go.
ill try it out, then. thanks!
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

onigame

• Thief
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Set Generator
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 02:32:59 am »
+2

...or let us choose what order to resolve them in.   OR have an option in some settings menu where you can either choose to have options go through the most likely order (the default option), or to be able to choose the order yourself.  Maybe sometimes you want that Outpost turn to come first, and maybe sometimes you want that 2nd Possessed turn to come first.

You're missing the point.  Eventually the plan is to implement the game completely correctly, which of course includes letting the player choose what order to resolve things in, because those are the official rules.  The decision is between releasing something earlier that is easy to implement, or waiting until it's absolutely correct before releasing.  Also to balance against other audience desires -- for example, given the choice between having the standalone iOS app first, versus the timing of the Clean-up phase working perfectly first, I suspect a lot more people would want the standalone iOS app.

(Also, deciding whether the Possession or the Outpost phase comes first is not done in the Clean-Up phase.)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 11:02:56 am »
+1

You're missing the point.  Eventually the plan is to implement the game completely correctly, which of course includes letting the player choose what order to resolve things in, because those are the official rules.  The decision is between releasing something earlier that is easy to implement, or waiting until it's absolutely correct before releasing.  Also to balance against other audience desires -- for example, given the choice between having the standalone iOS app first, versus the timing of the Clean-up phase working perfectly first, I suspect a lot more people would want the standalone iOS app.

(Also, deciding whether the Possession or the Outpost phase comes first is not done in the Clean-Up phase.)

I want to say that I'm incredibly happy to see onigame working with (for?) Goko on this.

SharpWave

• Swindler
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2013, 01:47:20 pm »

This one seems to be taking quite a long time to release.  Given all the other sets that have been implemented, one would think the Alchemy cards would be super easy to implement (except Possession), unless the Goko programmers did something silly like not planning ahead for potions as part of the card cost when they implemented all of the other cards. 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2013, 02:16:39 pm »

This one seems to be taking quite a long time to release.  Given all the other sets that have been implemented, one would think the Alchemy cards would be super easy to implement (except Possession), unless the Goko programmers did something silly like not planning ahead for potions as part of the card cost when they implemented all of the other cards.

This is the kicker. It's Possession that's taking so long. I'm guessing it requires a whole new, unique interface. Also, it's has some rules subtleties that are hard to get right.

I'm assuming that's also why we haven't seen Black Market or Stash yet. They each require a unique interface.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2013, 02:34:00 pm »

I don't like the idea of cards being released before they are implemented properly, but I have no problem with Goko releasing all of Alchemy save for Possession until they get Possession dealt with.  I've already paid for Alchemy, so I'd rather start playing with the rest of the cards.  Possession is fun, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Rats interact with Apprentice, Scrying Pool, and Vineyard.  I also feel that Storeroom may have some nice synergy with Philosopher's Stone.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2013, 02:43:17 pm »

I don't like the idea of cards being released before they are implemented properly, but I have no problem with Goko releasing all of Alchemy save for Possession until they get Possession dealt with.  I've already paid for Alchemy, so I'd rather start playing with the rest of the cards.  Possession is fun, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Rats interact with Apprentice, Scrying Pool, and Vineyard.  I also feel that Storeroom may have some nice synergy with Philosopher's Stone.
It seems unlikely they'll put it out without Possession. It would look worse than the delay.

They programmed Possession. It probably has some obscure things that need fixing; I mentioned some things to check but did not check them personally. I haven't seen it with AI.

onigame

• Thief
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Set Generator
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2013, 01:43:48 pm »

It seems unlikely they'll put it out without Possession. It would look worse than the delay.

They programmed Possession. It probably has some obscure things that need fixing; I mentioned some things to check but did not check them personally. I haven't seen it with AI.

I have logged around 15 different bugs with Possession and other cards in alpha.  Most of them are now fixed.  The ones that aren't fixed have to do with the more general issue that the interface doesn't have a clean way of having the user select between multiple "on-X" effects that happen at the same time, and I'm working on a design for that.

Some of those bugs might end up not being fixed before release.  For example, if you trash Fortress on a turn when you're being Possessed, technically there is a choice you can make so that Fortress doesn't end up in your hand.  Since strategy-wise it is very rare that a Fortress in hand is worse than not having a Fortress in hand, currently the code just defaults to Fortress in hand.  (To do it properly would require a sequence picker.)

The most amusing bug I found in alpha is that Possession was mistakenly coded as an Attack  :)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2013, 02:45:04 pm »

Some of those bugs might end up not being fixed before release.  For example, if you trash Fortress on a turn when you're being Possessed, technically there is a choice you can make so that Fortress doesn't end up in your hand.  Since strategy-wise it is very rare that a Fortress in hand is worse than not having a Fortress in hand, currently the code just defaults to Fortress in hand.  (To do it properly would require a sequence picker.)
That is not so bad.

For Trader, it could just be, resolve Trader for the possessed player, then resolve Possession's when-would-gain, then resolve Trader for the possessing player. There's no point to being able to order the first Trader after Possession.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2013, 04:12:39 pm »

When you put Fortress in hand, are you gaining it?  Does it visit the trash pile?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 2.238 seconds with 20 queries.