Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How did I fall behind here?  (Read 1250 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
How did I fall behind here?
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:52:20 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/14/game-20130114-114754-5947eeed.html

We both seem to have the same idea: trash starting cards with Bishop in order to get to GMs, and build an engine involving TR and Scheme.

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Re: How did I fall behind here?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:09:09 pm »

Your opponent didn't buy a Throne Room until Turn 13, well after they had a bunch of money and Grand Markets.  You bought one on Turn 6, and really needed to buy Silver.  The Turn 3 Treasury your opponent got didn't help either.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:14:19 am »

I wouldn't open with Bishop here. You want to get to GMs as fast as possible and then lay on the Throne Rooms afterwards. This is probably a board where I'd consider opening Chancellor. Try to get a few Treasuries in deck and then grab a Bishop of your own at some point because your opponent's Bishop doesn't help you very much after a few trashes.

Also, I'm not sure why you bought so many Silvers. If you want GMs, a more flexible way to get them would be TR'ing terminal coin. Like Chancellor!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:29:44 am »

Treasury is a good card with a bishop here, much better than silver, and your opponent has a lucky draw to buy one immediately.  Scheme+bishop is highly likely to give you three and four coin hands and that's how you fell behind in the mirror match.

Thanks for posting so many games up. Looking across your games I think you could find considerable improvement by choosing better opening draws that specifically consider the likely spending on turns 3 and 4.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:37:52 pm »

Thanks for posting so many games up. Looking across your games I think you could find considerable improvement by choosing better opening draws that specifically consider the likely spending on turns 3 and 4.

I think the problem is that I'm not successfully matching opening buys to desired near-term targets. Like, I would have thought you want to get a Bishop and buy lots of Silver if the goal is GM, because Bishop lets you get rid of Copper (which you can't spend on GM) and both of these increase the Silver density (and putting together 3 of them gets you a GM). But of course Bishop is helping the opponent too, and Silver is only 2 coins. TR-Chancellor as suggested is still an average 2 coins per card, though, so. I had been hoping to TR-Bishop (because of the lack of Villages), and it didn't pan out at all.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.595 seconds with 20 queries.