Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Variant: One last turn....  (Read 6953 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Variant: One last turn....
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 12:09:31 pm »

Umm, no. I'm not sure if you're trolling now or just haven't thought about it, but, no. Player 1 definitely doesn't want to buy the penultimate province most of the time, for exactly the same reason player 1 doesn't currently. Player 2 only wants to if he's within 2 points and thinks he'll have a Duchy the next hand, which there might be good reason for him to think otherwise (e.g. he's just drawn $9 then $10 on two consecutive turns after reshuffling his average sized deck).

That's just the PPR related endgame as well. It's no less involved than the current PPR.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 12:22:20 pm »

^I agree with Powerman. Player 2 has no reason not to buy the penultimate Province. If he's close as you describe, he should buy it, and if he's not close, then he needs both Provinces anyway and should buy it. Player 1 then has no reason not to buy it, since if player 2 can buy it he will. If player 1 doesn't buy it, player 2 can just buy it with no fear of missing out on a last turn.

The PPR works now because no one wants to buy the PP. If you make it so that it is okay for one player to buy it, then the whole thing falls apart.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 02:16:53 pm »

Also, this happens in so many other euro games.

If I am playing Ticket to Ride and get down to 2 trains left, everyone else gets the chance to play one last turn and complete routes, put down trains etc.....

You do realize this is significantly different from what you're proposing, correct?

No, the way he described Ticket to Ride is what he's proposing... but he's wrong about how Ticket to Ride works, because in Ticket to Ride the player who ended the game still gets the last turn. He's right though there there are plenty of other Euro games where everyone gets equal turns (Puerto Rico, etc).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 02:58:42 pm »

Kingdom Builder is another one, and one of Donald's if that's important.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 04:32:47 pm »

^I agree with Powerman. Player 2 has no reason not to buy the penultimate Province. If he's close as you describe, he should buy it, and if he's not close, then he needs both Provinces anyway and should buy it. Player 1 then has no reason not to buy it, since if player 2 can buy it he will. If player 1 doesn't buy it, player 2 can just buy it with no fear of missing out on a last turn.

The PPR works now because no one wants to buy the PP. If you make it so that it is okay for one player to buy it, then the whole thing falls apart.

Exactly.  As P2, if you hit 8 and you buy the second to last province, and your opponent buys the last province, you'll still get to buy that duchy.  But, if your opponent can't buy the province, you'll get to buy the last province too.

As P1, there is no "positive" to skipping the penultimate province because your opponent can either buy it because of the reasons outlined above, or will be unable to buy it and you will have been better off with buying the province.
A man on a mission.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 06:35:52 pm »

P1 buys the penultimate Province
P2 buys the final Province and wins

P1 buys a Duchy
P2 buys the Penultimate province
P1 buys the final Province
P2 buys an Estate and loses

I'm not seeing your point here. I guess it depends a little more on tracking your opponent's deck (if you know they've still got 2 spoils in their last 7 cards including hand for example you might be in the second case, but PPR is still going to apply to player 1.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 11:22:38 am »

P1 buys the penultimate Province
P2 buys the final Province and wins

P1 buys a Duchy
P2 buys the Penultimate province
P1 buys the final Province
P2 buys an Estate and loses

I'm not seeing your point here. I guess it depends a little more on tracking your opponent's deck (if you know they've still got 2 spoils in their last 7 cards including hand for example you might be in the second case, but PPR is still going to apply to player 1.

Well yes, you can lose buying the penultimate province or win not buying it, just like now you can lose not buying it or win buying it.  But it doesn't mean it was the optimum play.  As there has to be a greater chance that your opponent doesn't hit 8 than your opponent doesn't hit 5.  But... I guess if you do know your opponent is more likely to hit 5 than 8, by all means don't break it.
A man on a mission.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.