Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Renovate  (Read 2049 times)

sylas

• Bishop
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
Renovate
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:39:21 pm »

this is similar in a way to Tribute so it might have already been done before.

Renovate, $4 ($3?), Action

Trash a card from your hand. If it is an:

Action card: +2 Cards
Treasure card: +2 Actions
Victory card: +$2

or an alternate mix if any better:

Renovate, $4 ($3?), Action

Action card: +$2
Treasure card: +2 Cards
Victory card: +2 Actions
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:21:39 am by sylas »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:40:59 pm »

There is already a card called Rebuild, in Dark Ages.

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 06:51:51 pm »

oops. it's not the same as this is it?

suggest a new name?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:10:16 pm »
+1

oops. it's not the same as this is it?

suggest a new name?

No it's not the same.

Rebuild
$5 - Action

+1 Action
Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Victory card that is not the named card. Discard the other cards. Trash the Victory card and gain a Victory card costing up to $3 more than it.

Your idea is more in line with the Iron- family of cards.  Ironworks you should know.  Dark Ages also introduces Ironmonger:

Ironmonger
$4 - Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck; you may discard it.
Either way, if it is an...
Action card, +1 Action
Treasure card, +$1
Victory card, +1 Card

So I would suggest naming it Iron-something and shuffling the bonuses to match (trash action, +actions; trash treasure, +$; trash Victory, +cards).

I'm not sure how it would play out.  In general, trashing actions to get +actions is probably self-defeating.  Trashing Copper for +$2 is weaker than Moneylender or Spice Merchant.  Trashing Estate for +2 Cards would be decent, I suppose.

It might be more interesting to use a less conventional matchup, like what you already have.  But what matchup, and why?  How do you think it should be played?  What niche does it fill?

I can't quite identify its niche.  It is a slow trasher with mild bonus, but the bonuses don't seem to synergize very well.  It's difficult to explain what I mean though.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:30:26 pm »

this is similar in a way to Tribute so it might have already been done before.

Rebuild, $4 ($3?), Action

Action card: +2 Cards
Victory card: +$2

or an alternate mix if any better:

Rebuild, $4 ($3?), Action

Action card: +$2
Treasure card: +2 Cards
Victory card: +2 Actions

Action cards are usually quite good (Ruins aside), so trashing them warrants a big bonus (Death Cart gives +$5, but this card is obviously more versatile and has no on-gain Ruins). Salvager already gives $2 for trashing Estates. Coppers being trashed for action only makes sense in a 5 card hand of (I'll call this card Renovate), Copper, Action, Action, Something. Since not every game has draw, the extra +Action isn't needed that often. At that point it is one of the weaker uses of Apprentice. Caring about the type of trashed card is Transmute's shtick.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:34:41 pm by One Armed Man »

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:04:55 am »

@eHalcyon
i understand why it would work better as an Iron-type card but it's not what i was going for i'm afraid.

@OneArmedMan
Renovate is a good name. (wish i could change the topic name now or people will think this is a discussion about an existing card  ::))

i agree that the card needs a bit extra. maybe just a reward boost of another +1. +3 Actions for a Copper seems silly so i'll try this and hope i haven't blown it:

RENOVATE, $3, Action

Action card: +3 Cards
Victory card: +$3

not sure how this plays out with dual-type cards. trashing a Great Hall seems really good now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:08:22 am by sylas »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:19:11 am »

You can edit the original post to change the topic name.

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
Re: Renovate
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 11:22:14 am »

never noticed that. Cheers!

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 09:40:45 pm »

I propose this configuration: action -> coin, treasure -> actions, victory -> cards. My reasoning is that at the start of the game, you usually want to prioritize trashing Estates over Copper; thus, if you are choosing to trash an Estate, it suggests that you don't likely have Action cards in hand (and want to draw, mostly to find treasure) since you've just started, whereas if you're trashing Copper it's more likely you do (and could use the +Action), because you hopefully already have trashed some Estates and bought Action cards. Naturally, trashing deliberately bought/gained Action cards is rarely something you want to do; but if anything could motivate that, it's the promise of quick cash to buy that Province or Colony :)

sylas

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 09:07:44 am »

thing is, i wanted each card type to be mixed up. your suggestion trashing Victory cards for more cards won't fit the criteria. it would have to be trash Victory >> actions, Treasure >> cards instead to complete the mix up. but trashing a Copper for 3 cards seems too powerful and trashing an Estate for 2 actions is underwhelming. trashing Action cards isn't such a tough choice after your fourth turn or so when they would have already done their jobs. at this point, +3 cards seems more valuable than +$3, imo. thus this should actually be a card you'd want to buy later rather than earlier. despite having decent benefits it leaves you making tough choices, which is why it only costs $3. but having a clear strategy on how to utilise it goes a long way.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 05:46:20 pm »

thing is, i wanted each card type to be mixed up. your suggestion trashing Victory cards for more cards won't fit the criteria. it would have to be trash Victory >> actions, Treasure >> cards instead to complete the mix up. but trashing a Copper for 3 cards seems too powerful and trashing an Estate for 2 actions is underwhelming. trashing Action cards isn't such a tough choice after your fourth turn or so when they would have already done their jobs. at this point, +3 cards seems more valuable than +$3, imo. thus this should actually be a card you'd want to buy later rather than earlier. despite having decent benefits it leaves you making tough choices, which is why it only costs $3. but having a clear strategy on how to utilise it goes a long way.

After your fourth turn or so, you would have only used your opening buys once and won't even have hit the second reshuffle to use the cards you just bought.  Those action cards would not have already done their jobs, except in rare circumstances.

What is the design reason for wanting to mix up the benefits?  How do you expect the card to work in a game?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.