Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: I have never purchased a Fortune Teller.  (Read 8174 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
I have never purchased a Fortune Teller.
« on: January 09, 2013, 04:41:10 pm »

... at least not on iso.  I just looked at my Council Room stats, and in my ~750 games on iso, Fortune Teller is the only card I've never purchased (aside from the prizes and archivist).  So, what am I missing out on?
Well you *do* need a signature...

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Re: I have never purchased a Fortune Teller.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 04:42:58 pm »
+3

That's a huge mistake. IMO Fortune teller is now the most underrated card of the game  :( >:(

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 04:43:39 pm »

An attack. Just by being an attack, Fortune Teller is relevant. If you can build an engine, and your opponent opts not to, then adding one Fortune Teller does a lot of good. It's like one less card for them every turn, and skipping any major card in a deck that doesn't shuffle that often can be huge.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:44:40 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:27:17 pm »

I buy fortune teller about one fifth of the time. It's just a terminal silver with a little bonus.

Contraband, on the other hand, has the same buy rate as curse does for me.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:31:26 pm »

It's not a bad opener and can keep your opponent from getting to $5 early if there's no good trashing. Almost Cutpurseish.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:49:20 pm »

It's a great card to introduce some luck into a game.  Like if your opponent opens 2-5 on a mountebank/witch board and you have 3-4, at that point you are at such a disadvantage that getting a FT to hopefully discard their curser a couple times so you can catch up.  however you can also just end up cycling their deck faster, speeding them up.  Not a great option, but if they start mountebank haven, it's time to throw up some hail marys.

It's also a semi-usefull choice any combos that enjoy actions with +$ on them.  minion+ villages, double tactician,  hamlet + library, etc.

Just avoid it if they have nobles or harems (or tunnel + lookout/hamlet/warehouse/vault)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 06:55:53 pm »
+1

For a long, long time I had never gained a Diadem or bought a Transmute. But that's long over now.

Fortune Teller is okay, basically. It's beaten out by just about any other Attack card (except like Thief or Pirate Ship or something). But if there aren't any other attacks on the board, it's quite a bit better than not having one.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 02:52:39 am »

Fortune Teller is a weird card because it can be good early, possibly denying a $5 hand, and late, when you're greening and it forces some extra cycling. During the midgame it's actual helpful for your opponent as he's building his deck and wants to cycle his good cards. Estates may already be gone.

So a weird card, but I sometimes buy it when I have actions to spare.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 03:12:31 am »
+1

I gain it ~60%! 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:37:04 am »

It's a fine opener in Potion games, if the power $3s, Warehouse and Chapel aren't there. Especially if the potion card in the kingdom is a Familiar.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:38:24 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 12:03:13 pm »
+1

I gain it ~60%!

I used to think it was bad until Obi Wan completely pwned me with it!

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 12:25:47 pm »

It's not a bad opener and can keep your opponent from getting to $5 early if there's no good trashing. Almost Cutpurseish.

The problem is that speeding up the opponent's reshuffles, especially early, is a Bad Thing™.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 12:26:13 pm »

I gain it ~60%!

I used to think it was bad until Obi Wan completely pwned me with it!

I'm pretty sure the same thing happened to me.  I went silver/silver on a colony board with nothing going for it, and cried as he discarded my first gold like 3 shuffles in a row and he got platinum way before me.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 12:49:33 pm »
+1

Hmm, I suppose that in addition to think of it like Cutpurse, you could think of it as repeating the attack portion of Spy over and over until you successfully leave "junk" on top.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 01:03:31 pm »

I recently played a minion/fortune teller game which was just brutal. On a good turn you can play FT, Minion, FT giving the guy a 3 card hand this turn and a 3 card hand even if he is able to minion this one away.

In general, FT isn't a power attack, but played consistently it's very strong, and it certainly is quite beneficial in a good draw/cycle engine.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 08:27:23 am »

Well, I finally bought one.  I used it as my terminal Silver in a Hunting Party deck.  It was nice for consistently giving my opponent a dead card.  Unfortunately Tournament was on the board, so I was worried it was would just hand him his Province each turn.  Luckily for me, he didn't gain a prize until right near the end, and I won the game.

The other terminal Silver option was Jester.  I decided not to go with Jester since I didn't want to flood my own deck with unique engine pieces.  Also, the $5 I would have spent went towards an additional Hunting Party, after opening Silver/Fortune Teller.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 10:37:08 am »

Terrible Card in Crossroads, Harem and/or Nobles game. More effective in other alt-VP games, e.g. Gardens, Silk Road. It is a double edged sword in that it can speed up your opponent's deck cycling so is bad in say Tactician, wharf, KC, goons, etc. etc. games. However, for flushing cards out of his deck and into his discard it is wonderful. To properly wield the sword you must A) correctly analyze the kingdom and B) basically be mindful of your opponent's deck as well because sometime it is best not to play the card while at other times it is the smartest play in the whole game (like when you know with near certainty his attack cards are upcoming and all his VP are discarded).

Personally, I enjoy playing Fortune Teller, If I'm reading CR correctly than I pick it up 40% of the time it is available.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 06:36:37 pm »
+1

Well, I finally bought one.  I used it as my terminal Silver in a Hunting Party deck.  It was nice for consistently giving my opponent a dead card.  Unfortunately Tournament was on the board, so I was worried it was would just hand him his Province each turn.  Luckily for me, he didn't gain a prize until right near the end, and I won the game.

The other terminal Silver option was Jester.  I decided not to go with Jester since I didn't want to flood my own deck with unique engine pieces.  Also, the $5 I would have spent went towards an additional Hunting Party, after opening Silver/Fortune Teller.
I think I would have gone for tournament + HP

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 06:49:26 pm »

I think I would have gone for tournament + HP

I suppose I was worried that the draw off of Tournament could trigger an unwanted reshuffle.  So would Followers or Trusty Steed, for that matter.  Although I imagine that Princess might be a nice prize for Hunting Party.  Also, I guess I would want to play Tournament as soon as I draw it (or as soon as a Province is available) rather than waiting until after my Hunting Parties have finished.  That would avoid my worry regarding the reshuffle.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 11:14:28 pm »

Things I recently learned about Fortune Teller:

1) Pairing it with Jester sounds cute but is actually kind of pointless and self-defeating.
2) If your opponent plays it a lot you can grab some Native Villages and strategically "Island" your green.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »

1) Pairing it with Jester sounds cute but is actually kind of pointless and self-defeating.

Please elaborate.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 09:08:56 pm »

Please elaborate.

jo probably means that the Jester will get rid of the Victory/Curse card you just top-decked, thus undoing the FT attack.  It's probably still worth it to give the curse though!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 09:12:07 pm »
+1

Please elaborate.

jo probably means that the Jester will get rid of the Victory/Curse card you just top-decked, thus undoing the FT attack.  It's probably still worth it to give the curse though!

It's probably going to depend a lot on the game state, but likely, the FT teller attack could be more important during the end game. FT + Jester is just like playing a witch. And curses do a lot more damage when the earlier they get into your deck. Later in the game, after you start greening, taking away a card slot is likely to do more damage.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 09:19:18 pm »
+1

There's some opportunity cost, too.  Giving a curse is nice, but you may have been able to gain a Gold or a Wharf or with some luck a Border Village.  And then hit with a Fortune Teller.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 09:25:28 pm »

Yeah. Not to mention, you're playing two attacks just for the net effect of cursing, and meanwhile giving the opponent a bunch of cycling (although that might hurt more than it helps if you are cursing...).
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 20 queries.