Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26  All

Author Topic: Decline of civility on isotropic?  (Read 251618 times)

large wooden badger

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Decline of civility on isotropic?
« Reply #575 on: April 15, 2012, 01:25:37 am »

I just had another textbook example:

0:18 large wooden badger: Good game
 0:18 Dr.AnulSniffer: fuck u
 0:18 Dr.AnulSniffer has returned to the lobby.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 15, 2012, 03:42:56 am »
+1

I just had another textbook example:

0:18 large wooden badger: Good game
 0:18 Dr.AnulSniffer: fuck u
 0:18 Dr.AnulSniffer has returned to the lobby.
22:11 Jack Rudd: gg
22:12 Dr.AnulSniffer: faggot fucker
22:12 Dr.AnulSniffer: let me win bitch
22:12 Dr.AnulSniffer has returned to the lobby.

If there was ever a reason to judge a book by its cover...
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 15, 2012, 08:19:31 am »

This was one of the most courteous insults I've gotten:
14:16 taka0: bye airhead

And this was even after triple Torturing him for just the third time in a row.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

mDuo13

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 16, 2012, 02:15:05 am »

I try to offer "gl hf" and "gg" as traditional sportsmanship messages, but I don't always get them in. Not that I mind if someone omits them; sometimes you're in a hurry or preoccupied, after all. Or you might just be a jerk; but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

The only thing that bothers me is when people complain that I didn't greet them or chat. I play a lot at work; I don't always have time for a conversation in every game. If they're just whining about how I beat them with a "jerk" strategy (e.g. King's Court megaturns), I mostly just dismiss it.

On a particularly good game, or one in which my opponent crushed me handily (and not just due to my mistakes), I'll offer a "gg wp" (good game, well played) instead. Other times I might use the chat to gripe about exceptionally bad luck (like the world's worst Loan) Sometimes this leads to a friendly conversation about the game, which is very satisfying. I also was quite impressed recently with the manners of a player who apologized after breaking out and running away with a Tournament game after a mirrored opening. That's going above and beyond common courtesy, and I was glad to tell him I bore him no hard feelings (runaway leader is the face of Tournament games, after all).

tl;dr I don't think there's been a decline in civility; feels like there's about the same mix as there has been for a while. A little bit of everything.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 20, 2012, 07:30:56 am »

Sooooo... Reviving one of the most liked threads on this forum. I was just playing a real nice guy who spammed the chat with empty messages and zzz's as soon as I wasn't clicking on my cards faster than my fingers would allow. Now this isn't something I'm really whining about, but it made me think. When is it ok to start to ask your opponent to play faster?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 20, 2012, 07:49:38 am »

Never. If they're playing slow enough you can force resign them.

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 20, 2012, 08:14:03 am »
+6

I can't tell if "Occupy Council Room" is inherently ironic or unintentionally fitting, given that Council Room is essentially redistributive (knowledge-wise) but made by two IRL 1%ers.

I assumed it was because 80% of the cards were going to 50% of the people.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 20, 2012, 10:25:40 am »
+2

I can't tell if "Occupy Council Room" is inherently ironic or unintentionally fitting, given that Council Room is essentially redistributive (knowledge-wise) but made by two IRL 1%ers.

I assumed it was because 80% of the cards were going to 50% of the people.

Well it looks like the 1%ers are at about level 36 and up (and theory and rrenaud just happen to be there).  It is an outrage that the top 1% of the Isotropic leader board is gaining 35% of the Provinces.  I fell that that they should give some of their victory points to those that are less fortunate.

Papa Luigi

• Scout
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 20, 2012, 10:53:46 am »

Sooooo... Reviving one of the most liked threads on this forum. I was just playing a real nice guy who spammed the chat with empty messages and zzz's as soon as I wasn't clicking on my cards faster than my fingers would allow. Now this isn't something I'm really whining about, but it made me think. When is it ok to start to ask your opponent to play faster?
I almost never do. Sometimes if a minute or so has passed while I'm waiting for him to react, I'll simply send a question mark or ask "you there?" Especially if it's a situation where he may not realize it's still his turn, like when I play an attack that he has to react to, or if he bought something but still has an extra buy left and doesn't realize he has to use the "end turn" button.

If he just stops playing right in the middle of his turn, or at the beginning, I don't say anything and figure he'll either come back to it or he won't.

I remember the very first game I played, I was moving kinda slowly and the opponent right away said "play faster please" but I had to tell him it was my first time playing online. Those first few games I would give a disclaimer at the beginning that I was slow because I was still learning and had to read all the cards. So I don't get snippy with slow players. Although it does really bug me when someone always takes a long time to play cards, or waits a long time to start his turn. Multiplayer games are the worst; I think people tend to tab out of the window and then don't notice it's their turn, so it takes a LOT longer.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 20, 2012, 10:56:02 am »

I almost never do. Sometimes if a minute or so has passed while I'm waiting for him to react, I'll simply send a question mark or ask "you there?" Especially if it's a situation where he may not realize it's still his turn, like when I play an attack that he has to react to, or if he bought something but still has an extra buy left and doesn't realize he has to use the "end turn" button.

If he just stops playing right in the middle of his turn, or at the beginning, I don't say anything and figure he'll either come back to it or he won't.

I remember the very first game I played, I was moving kinda slowly and the opponent right away said "play faster please" but I had to tell him it was my first time playing online. Those first few games I would give a disclaimer at the beginning that I was slow because I was still learning and had to read all the cards. So I don't get snippy with slow players. Although it does really bug me when someone always takes a long time to play cards, or waits a long time to start his turn. Multiplayer games are the worst; I think people tend to tab out of the window and then don't notice it's their turn, so it takes a LOT longer.

Yeah, this. I will send a "still there?" or just  "?" sometimes if it's been a minute or so with no action (longer if it's the start of the game, because you need time to analyze the Kingdom), but I won't ever ask someone to play faster.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jayro

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: April 22, 2012, 06:34:09 am »

Just played this game, which I won and my opponent wanted to have a little chat with me.

13:22 Bubs: stupid novice
13:22 Lekkit: ?
13:22 Bubs has returned to the lobby.

Same experience, except that I lost:

12:27 Bubs: Gg novice
12:28 Bubs: Yawn
12:28 jayro: lol
12:28 Bubs has returned to the lobby.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 22, 2012, 11:35:34 am »

Just played this game, which I won and my opponent wanted to have a little chat with me.

13:22 Bubs: stupid novice
13:22 Lekkit: ?
13:22 Bubs has returned to the lobby.

Same experience, except that I lost:

12:27 Bubs: Gg novice
12:28 Bubs: Yawn
12:28 jayro: lol
12:28 Bubs has returned to the lobby.

Yeah, it appears Bubs says that to everyone.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 22, 2012, 01:56:45 pm »

Personally, I try to pre-empt this sort of thing... when I know I'm taking a while to make a decision, I'll say "sorry about the wait, tough decision" or something to that effect.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 25, 2012, 05:12:51 pm »

22:46 Vaccarino is Italian for Cow Fucker: 

;D

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 25, 2012, 05:56:40 pm »
+7

;D
I'm Sicilian, not Italian, so you may want to think twice before perpetuating insults about my heritage. Capisce?

Also the etymology of Vaccarino does involve a cow, but I think the cow was just stroked and hummed to.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 25, 2012, 06:00:07 pm »

Also the etymology of Vaccarino does involve a cow, but I think the cow was just stroked and hummed to.

So does that imply that Kobe beef is Italian / Sicilian in origin?

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 26, 2012, 03:44:35 pm »
+1

15:25 Jfrisch: good luck
15:26 ARTjoMS: yes
15:33 ARTjoMS: dam fucker played goons every time and no collide
15:36 Jfrisch: ?
15:37 ARTjoMS: saying u got lucky
15:38 Jfrisch: gg
15:38 ARTjoMS: dream on noob
15:38 Jfrisch: I bought more villages
15:38 Jfrisch: than you did
15:38 Jfrisch: and I
15:38 Jfrisch: DID
15:38 Jfrisch: have collisions
15:38 ARTjoMS: i bought more caravans than u did
15:38 Jfrisch: yes
15:38 Jfrisch: so you got bigger hands
15:38 ARTjoMS: i bouggth 3 ter,mionals before villagers
15:39 ARTjoMS: look game log moron
15:39 Jfrisch: okay
15:39 Jfrisch: I win
15:39 Jfrisch: therefore I'm a moron that makes sense
15:39 ARTjoMS: lol
15:39 ARTjoMS: tweak wards as u want
15:39 ARTjoMS: doesnt change truth
15:40 ARTjoMS: and u know what i meant

Proof that, yet again, being a competent dominion player doesn't mean you are a competent human being.
 (he was upset that he bought more caravans than me in a goons match and still lost which was, probably, a tactical mistake on my part, but he was slower in getting goons because of it). (Also, having more goons tends to increase the tendency to play them more so...)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 26, 2012, 03:50:40 pm »
+2

I'm Sicilian, not Italian, so you may want to think twice before perpetuating insults about my heritage. Capisce?

Remind me not to go up against you...

...when DEATH is on the line!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #593 on: April 26, 2012, 03:50:40 pm »

>> Level 43
>> noob
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 27, 2012, 12:44:05 pm »

I was just called an ass and was told I ruined the game by pursuing an IGG-rush strategy.  Oh, and we played in veto mode.

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 27, 2012, 12:52:41 pm »

If he'll act the way he did with me, prepare for an insulting private message soon, too. :)

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 27, 2012, 07:46:38 pm »

I had a game with him recently where I started 5/2 against his 4/3, and got some really good early draws to very quickly grab a couple Bazaars and a pile of Wharves. Even I was seriously surprised by my good luck...

17:30 ARTjoMS: OP Luck
17:31 michaeljb: not gonna deny that...
17:31 michaeljb: I got ridiculous draws kicking of Bazaar/Wharf madness
17:31 ARTjoMS: this game so much like poker
17:31 ARTjoMS: luck wins skill most of the tmie
17:31 ARTjoMS has returned to the lobby.

I was just really surprised that a level 40+ player would really think something like that...but that's not really uncivil. Implying that I played with no skill was though...
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 27, 2012, 07:54:46 pm »

I was just called an ass and was told I ruined the game by pursuing an IGG-rush strategy.  Oh, and we played in veto mode.

Reminds me of this game this game (also in veto mode) -- I got an angry response that made me laugh: "f*** you mister saboteur"
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #598 on: April 27, 2012, 09:15:51 pm »
+1

So, I thought I'd posted this earlier, pretty sure I did actually. So maybe a mod struck it down. If so, feel free to do so again, but PM me so I know I'm not just going crazy. Thanks.

Don't worry about it. This is just the way he is, and has been, for quite a while. And don't tell him gg - he always thinks any game that he lost, he was either extremely unlucky, or occasionally it was a bad game because he played badly. But uh, yeah, he's the most this way guy I've seen on iso.

CoheedandCambria

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 27, 2012, 11:10:07 pm »

I used to play an RTS game at a high level (warcraft 3) and had a training partner that always had this mentality.. In a game with hardly any luck (pretty much only luck is miss % and crit % which doesn't play a big role), he ALWAYS complained he was unlucky at end of game and that was the only reason he lost. He was a pretty good friend of mine so I always just shook it off and tried to snap him out of the mentality but nothing ever worked. I ended up improving a lot more than he did and went on to bigger and better teams/partners.

I don't understand what makes people think that EVERY SINGLE GAME they lose is because of luck. Do they really think they're so perfect that they never makes a mistake? Not even once?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26  All

Page created in 2.245 seconds with 21 queries.