Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26  All

Author Topic: Decline of civility on isotropic?  (Read 249635 times)

Elysium

• Steward
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
Re: Decline of civility on isotropic?
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2011, 02:02:05 pm »

I'm not sure how you guys even have time to get a "GG" in.  A lot of players I play with just bail from the game almost immediately.

You have to get your GG in fast, because then if they do quit without saying anything, your GG becomes a handy taunt that they will have to look at in their chatlog.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2011, 02:12:39 pm »

I'm not sure how you guys even have time to get a "GG" in.  A lot of players I play with just bail from the game almost immediately.

If the other player leaves that quickly, then he's not interested in any post-game chatter, so there's no offense to give. A person has no right to be offended at me if he leaves before I could congratulate him.

And since over 99.9% of my chats are more than 2 letters, I'm not going to feel bad if someone leaves before I could finish typing, "well played."
A man has no signature

Eagle

• Baron
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2011, 04:26:02 pm »

Hah...  I just got automatched with someone who 9 turns in told me "play someone your own level maybe next time" and then rage quit...

As if I had any say in the automatch, and as if he was forced to accept the match.

So, I'm writing this to kill time while the timer runs out.

hughes

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2011, 08:29:08 am »

yay, we've been found by spambots

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2011, 01:55:35 pm »

So a good trick for stopping forum spambots is, require everyone to make one post in a particular subforum, before they can post in other forums.

Garion

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 04, 2011, 10:31:21 am »

Your status is "up for post-game discussion and learning".

I set my status to the above today. Suddenly people were proposing games to me left and right, and were talking (in a friendly manner) both during and after the games. I had a good time :-)

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2011, 12:47:03 am »

I had a quite interesting exchange with someone who was apparently not thrilled with their luck.

0:21 buddycthulhu: howdy
0:21 hatch coltraine: hello
0:25 hatch coltraine: jesus christ
0:25 hatch coltraine: how does it feel getting good shuffles?
0:26 hatch coltraine: because I wouldnt know
0:32 hatch coltraine: btw, where did you get the code?
0:32 buddycthulhu: what?
0:32 hatch coltraine: dont play stupid. the code

I end up finally managing to empty 3 piles after getting 2 do-nothing hands right before the last couple lines.  I then leave as he didn't seem particularly interested in civil discussion.  He then immediately proposes another game with me, and I accept thinking maybe he just wants a rematch.  Nope:

0:34 hatch coltraine: tell me where you got it
0:34 buddycthulhu: what?
0:34 hatch coltraine: if you wanna get kicked off isotropic, ask me "what" again
0:34 hatch coltraine: now where did you get it?
0:35 buddycthulhu: so I take it you think I'm cheating, or at least are going overboard complaining about your luck in the previous game
0:35 hatch coltraine: are you going to answer me?
0:37 hatch coltraine: or are you going to wait for the signal for me to resign?
0:37 buddycthulhu: so you didn't even want to play another game, you just want to "interrogate" me?
0:37 hatch coltraine: alright, then Rob will decide.
0:37 hatch coltraine has returned to the lobby.

His resignation timer had indeed come up, but I hadn't hit it.  He instead resigns without playing a card.  I don't even know what to imagine this person is trying to do, but it really frustrates me when people do bullshit like this.  Was he just thinking that he could scare some idiot into saying something they regretted?  It makes no sense, especially given that the guy is in the teens in level and so not just someone doing drive-by trolling.
Stop reading my signature.

minced

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2011, 01:51:20 am »

1:45 minced: hi gl
1:47 I love you: fckin rigged
1:49 I love you: youre so fucking lucky

... same old song. I apparently "rigged" the game by buying native villages (initially for the pseudo-trashing so i could cycle mountebank) over silver and buying minions when the other player bought silvers and spammed mountebank. I think it's the same guy, and he's just a colossal prick who would complain that a game of chess was rigged.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:30:57 am by minced »

ImperialStout

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2011, 03:20:59 am »

I enjoy how this thread has become a complaint-fest.  Allow me to join in!  I just had an opponent stay mute until I took more than 10 seconds to make a move at which point I got the marvelously eloquent "....", and then rage-quit at turn 11 or 12 when he was down 7 provinces to 0.  Everyday, I yearn for that blacklist a little more!

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2011, 05:25:06 pm »

I had a quite interesting exchange with someone who was apparently not thrilled with their luck.
A-ha-hum. I just looked through that game. Some of his decisions were... interesting, to say the least.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

jayarsea

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2011, 06:04:22 pm »

1:45 minced: hi gl
1:47 I love you: fckin rigged
1:49 I love you: youre so fucking lucky

... same old song. I apparently "rigged" the game by buying native villages (initially for the pseudo-trashing so i could cycle mountebank) over silver and buying minions when the other player bought silvers and spammed mountebank. I think it's the same guy, and he's just a colossal prick who would complain that a game of chess was rigged.

I just had an experience with the same player:

18:00 I love you: never knew you could just buy those
18:00 jayarsea: yea
18:00 I love you: i hope you get cancer and die slow faggot

After buying a duchy and 3 curses [with a goons played] to empty the curse pile and win by one point.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2011, 08:57:02 pm »
+2

This stuff perhaps seems less newsworthy when you realize you may be playing against kids.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2011, 09:04:21 pm »

I've played Dominion against actual children in real life, and they've been unfailingly polite. (And rather good at picking up on things. "Oooh, Witch. That looks like a good card.")
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2011, 09:14:40 pm »

This stuff perhaps seems less newsworthy when you realize you may be playing against kids.

Depends on whether you mean 10-year-olds or 22-year-olds as kids. If the former, some seems less newsworthy, but a lot of it is more concerning.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2011, 09:44:03 pm »

I swear, I'm going to start making a list of people who just plain don't talk during a game.  At least acknowledge you're not a damned robot!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

rls22

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2011, 10:02:10 pm »

Thanks for the warning on "I love you". I just declined a game with him....  Should be an easy one to remember not to play with.

krawhitham

• Baron
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2011, 10:10:21 pm »

I swear, I'm going to start making a list of people who just plain don't talk during a game.  At least acknowledge you're not a damned robot!

Actually spam bots can talk.

I do know exactly what you mean though, sure I can understand you don't want a conversation but some form of "hello" and "goodbye" really isn't much to expect.

But then you have to remind yourself that it's not the end of the world. Insults and agressive behavior are more of a concern, I have not experienced any myself and it sounds like it is a tiny minority on Isotropic.

I think all we can do is keep being as polite as possible and just stay silent when someone starts the trash talk.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2011, 10:51:37 am »

So here's another one:

9:44 The Kingslayer: wp idk why i didnt forge
9:44 WanderingWinder: gg
9:44 WanderingWinder: dunno
9:44 WanderingWinder: but
9:44 WanderingWinder: i think hoard was a pretty big problem here
9:45 The Kingslayer: i think your FACE was a pretty big problem
9:45 WanderingWinder: that's nice

As you can see, I'm trying to have a nice post-game strategy chat after winning, and we get stuff like this.
I do want to stress that this is rare on isotropic.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2011, 11:18:12 am »

lol

Your mum/face jokes never get old.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2011, 02:40:28 pm »
+1

Your mum/face jokes never get old.

That's what your mom said.

/OK childishness over, sorry.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ShuffleNCut

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2011, 10:11:00 am »

I chat a lot and I am always up for discussion during or after games.  I also complain a lot but I tell people to ignore me because I am a hardened and bitter person.  I never insult people and I always offer pre and post game salutations.

If someone wants to insult me, my mother, my play, or the president of Burundi I reserve the right to ignore their messages or even deny their game requests.  I will certainly not deny them their right to free speech.

In Poker the people who relentlessly spout off when things are going badly for them are my favorite table mates.  They essentially wear a sign over their head that lights up and flashes when they are on tilt.  I must admit that I have encouraged such tirades in the past.

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2011, 09:44:36 pm »
+1

Someone today informed me that they "normally win" and that I'm a "lucky boy."  They were also a Level 1 player who happened to be about 120 games below .500.  I think the best policy, as I wrote in a long paragraph earlier in this thread, is: ignore them.  Some of it is thoroughly juvenile and rancorous, but...who cares in the end?  They obviously have flaws in their game and they're making up for it in a pitiful way.  It won't change the outcome.  Everyone I've played on isotropic who also posts on this forum is extremely civil and a pleasure to compete with, mainly because the people on this forum tend to have very solid games of some degree, and don't need to resort to personal attacks.

Also, I'd vote against posting the actual screen names of the people who have offended you on here...
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2011, 10:03:47 pm »

I see your point about posting screen names, and it's a concern, but if it's actually copy/pasting what they said, I don't have a problem. I mean, they said it.

Nitsuj

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2011, 03:41:22 pm »

Someone today informed me that they "normally win" and that I'm a "lucky boy."  They were also a Level 1 player who happened to be about 120 games below .500.  I think the best policy, as I wrote in a long paragraph earlier in this thread, is: ignore them.  Some of it is thoroughly juvenile and rancorous, but...who cares in the end?  They obviously have flaws in their game and they're making up for it in a pitiful way.  It won't change the outcome.  Everyone I've played on isotropic who also posts on this forum is extremely civil and a pleasure to compete with, mainly because the people on this forum tend to have very solid games of some degree, and don't need to resort to personal attacks.

Also, I'd vote against posting the actual screen names of the people who have offended you on here...

I bumped into that guy once!  Exact same thing happened, then I went to CouncilRoom.com and saw that he wasn't just a Level 1 player who was just starting - he was a Level 1 player with an atrocious record.  It was at that point that I didn't give him any more thought.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2011, 09:15:37 pm »

I've recieved the same kind of bull, but from a level 31!  I mean, you would think it would only be a little something, like ' don't buy that' , but no, he called me a possession noob, whatever that is.  I asked him what he meant, and he said that only newbs buy possession because they can't build a deck.  So now i have a reason to make a blacklist >:(
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 23 queries.